The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #1
Laid_Out_50

LS Swap Help

Looking to do an LS swap in my truck I have a 1950 with a MII front clip. I’m looking at picking up a 6.0L LY6 engine. Is there a special oil pan that fits with the the MII what are you using for your power steering pump so it’s the right pressure for the mustang rack? What about headers?

Last edited by Laid_Out_50; 10-14-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Laid_Out_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: LS Swap Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid_Out_50 View Post
Looking to do an LS swap in my truck I have a 1950 with a MII front clip. I’m looking at picking up a 6.0L LY6 engine. Is there a special oil pan that fits with the the MII what are you using for your power steering pump so it’s the right pressure for the mustang rack?
I've seen a Chevy pump-to-MII pressure regulator at Speedway Motors. Also Heidt's makes an adjustable pressure regulator. With the turn of a knob you can tune the steering response to your preference.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
jweb

I'm sure there are more but here are 2 styles of adapters for the power steering. The first reduces flow the second reduces pressure. I tried both and had better luck with the first style

Flow reducer (this might not be the exact one, just an example of the style)
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Musta...-GPM,5852.html

Pressure reducer
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...yABEgJP5_D_BwE

For an oil pan I used the GM muscle car pan. Since Mustang II setups and engine location can vary it may not work for you.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593

This will show you dimensions and part numbers for almost any oil pan available
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt

Last edited by jweb; 10-14-2018 at 11:03 AM.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
whitedog76

I believe the Ford Thunderbird and Fox body racks from the 80’s don’t have the pressure issues of the earlier ones.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Rickysnickers

Yes they do. I had to install one of the flow restrictorson my regular SBC engined truck. The steering was really twitchy before I installed it.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I believe the Ford Thunderbird and Fox body racks from the 80’s don’t have the pressure issues of the earlier ones.
I have a T-bird rack so those have the same issue, not sure on the Foxbody.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
whitedog76

Okl, well guess I was mistaken. Maybe it's that they, "aren't as bad as the early ones."
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
jwhotrod

holley also makes a "hotrod" pan for mounting LS motors in "old" muscle cars etc that clears the cross members and steering.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
jwhotrod

Also, sweet mfg in Kalamazoo Michigan is making power steering pumps to produce whatever pressure your rack requires. I think they are based on Toyota pumps that are very similar to GM type III pumps. They are a old company in dirt track racing and have made a push into streetrods and customs. All the rack and pinion boxes that Heidts uses in their front ends are from Sweet mfg.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
dsraven

my 57 gmc had a tci MII cossmember and an LS engine. I used the camaro pan set up and also the camaro exhaust manifolds. 4L60E trans
pics show stock truck pan and the ground clearance with that. camaro pan is about even with the trans pan. I used stock camaro engine mounts and built some plates to connect to the frame. the plates bolted onto the frame for ease of engine removal/install with the cab still on. camaro manifolds fit well between the frame rails. my engine sat pretty low in the frame and also as far back as possible. the firewall was replaced with a recessed unit to clear the injector rails etc. I am sure you could fit the LS engine in without notching the firewall, possibly a slight dent would be enough, possibly no dent at all required.
hope that helped
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #11
Kansas T

I'm also using the Camaro pan. I got a Spectra brand pan from Autozone for $180. GMP77A.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
dsraven

wow, that's waaay cheaper than I paid for the kit with the baffle, dipstick and tube, oil pump pickup etc.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #13
Kansas T

That's just the pan. None of the other required stuff.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #14
dsraven

what company are you looking at for the MII set up? weld in, bolt in? any options you thinking of going with? show quality or daily driver?
figure out what you want in the end and order the right stuff in the first go around. big power means big brakes. ask about tubing wall thickness, ball joint brand etc. sometimes the lower priced units get you in the door but then you end up spending more later when you upgrade.
there are some nice bolt in units available now.
scott's has some nice stuff and also give the specs of the materials used. not endorsing them, just saying check around and compare apples to apples. some have adjustable control arms, which are nice but, they have to be disassembled for adjustment I think. more time at the alignment shop so spendier too.

http://www.scottshotrods.com/online-catalog/

on the p/s pump, has anybody ever adapted a ford pump to fit the chevy bracket? no pressure or flow issues then, correct? gotta be somebody on here that's done that or seen it someplace. adapt the pump and get the pulley diameter right, should be good to go.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
Root2812

I have a Fatman Fabrications MII and a LS in my 1950. I also went with the camaro pan. The only problem I have had is that the stock camaro dipstick hits my Hooker exhaust manifolds so I am going to have to go with an aftermarket dip stick from Lokar. For the power steering I am going to be using one of the pressure reducing kits that have been mentioned above.

These are the best pictures i have at work and neither shows the pan very well but I'll share anyway.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
e015475

On LS1tech.com website in the 'Conversions and Hybrids' section there is a sticky with all the different oil pans available for the LS motors.

Here's the link-

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

There is also quite a few build threads there detailing LS installations in our trucks and you might want to look there for what others have used for headers. if you are using a M2 suspension and an auto/non stock pedal, there should be several options for you.

Id sure modify the firewall and position the engine such that some off the shelf headers would work. I'd even consider an intermediate steering shaft support if it would avoid custom headers.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote