The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
DevilDog Aggie

Quadrajet questions

Based on the casting numbers, I know it is a 1972, Chevy Quad for an Automatic transmission. What does the "QE" mean? Also, in the first pic, what is the round device between the vacuum advance and choke that doesn't have anything plugged into it? I am about to do a rebuild on the carb, but want to make sure I get the right pieces.

The issue I am having is that it will pretty much run fine sitting flat and in park. When you put it into drive, it dies. You can get it restarted, sometimes just through pedal feathering, but usually you have to apply some starter fluid to it. I am thinking it is probably float related but could use some advice. Have replaced the fuel filter/plugs/wires/cap/rotor etc. When it is running it definitely runs better until you put it into gear.

Rob
Attached Images

DevilDog Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
DevilDog Aggie

Re: Quadrajet questions

I think it is part of the emissions system but not sure. Anyone have any thoughts? As for the carb rebuild, I am ordering the kit and book from Cliff. Hopefully I can get it in by the weekend so I can get her running good!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
DevilDog Aggie

I ordered the HP kit from Cliff's as well as the book. Should be here on Friday.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
DevilDog Aggie

Rebuilt the carb. Put it on and she fired right up! No stalling when putting her in gear, no hesitation when on the pedal! First one I have rebuilt, but dang proud of myself! Especially since I am an IT geek and not a gearhead! Next on the agenda is replacing the brake booster/master cylinder and brakes. Won't know about the rotors/drums until I get the wheels off.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Wow...good job on the rebuild. I'm impressed.
Posted via Mobile Device
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
DevilDog Aggie

Thanks Kingsolver! I must admit I was pretty stoked when she fired right up. Prior to rebuilding the carb, she wouldn't stay running with out keeping on the pedal. Had a feeling it was a float issue or just general gunk from sitting so long. The only problem I had with it was that somehow, some way I lost the power piston and hangers for the metering rods. Ended up finding a guy who runs a small auto parts place who actually had a quad off of a '74 that wasn't in great shape but had the piston. So I pulled it apart and used the piston/hangers from it.