The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Big Blue

fumes smell

I Have A Question about burnt gas fumes smell.

I have a 79, 350 with an edelbrock carb. The canister is not hooked up at this time. What can I do to get the exhaust smell away? When I am stopped at a light or stop sign the smell is really bad. I will listen to ALL comments given. My WIFE CAN'T STAND TO DRIVE THE TRUCK even through she likes driving it. I know the carb will need to be better adjusted. The canister needs to be hooked up, I will need the hose diagram for this. Thanks in advance,

John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
TrailerTrash

Re: fumes smell

Is the smell gas? or is it exhaust fumes?

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
Big Blue

More like exhaust

My exhaust is kinda new, so there is no leaks around the joints.
Just out the back.
john

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Are you treating the gas with anything? Some of the gas treatment I've used will cause the exhaust to smell horrible until you get it all burned out of the tank
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

Check your fuel pump, engine running, cold. It doesn't take much of a gas leak to make a bad smell. Mine had a bad smell, thought it was exhaust. When the motor was hot, everything looked dry. Cold motor, saw the fuel pump damp with gas. Replaced pump, no more smell.

Check your choke adjustment. Could be running way rich which will make the exhaust smell worse.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Big Blue

Thanks everyone, No gas treatment being used. I do think the carb and choke need to be adjusted. Does anyone have the diagram for the canister?

John

Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
HTX86chevy

I would like to get my canister hooked up properly also, so if anyone has a good diagram for refrence, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Bandit130

I am having a similar exhaust smell when stopping. Do not have smell while driving. Happens with or without AC. Am going to check for exhaust leaks to see if there are any. Not sure what PO had going on. Going to test this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AFZQ_dQMA

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote