The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
70VaHokie

New member looking for 1st gen K5

I have owned a GM truck since 1986 when I bought my first 72 K5 Blazer at the age of 16. Sine then I have bought 5 new GM trucks and still own 3 of them. I have been looking to buy a survivor (minimal rust, no major upgrades, as close to stock as possible) for some time now but haven’t had much luck on the east coast finding an unmolested truck that wasn’t over $30k. I had an opportunity last week to buy a 72 K5 in the NE area for $10k from the original owner but got spooked thinking about all the salt the truck has seen over 45 years even though it doesn’t show many signs of rust on the surface. The owner explained that he rinsed it off top to bottom after every road trip in the winter, and then reapplied “texicote” undercoating cut with fuel oil every year. He was convinced that it is a truely rust free vehicle because of all the care he took. I don’t mind the mechanical restoration work, but am not interested in curing rust cancer. Is it possible that a truck living in the NE for 45 years with 185,000 miles on it could be rust free and not be hiding some deep lurking major rust issues? Should I reconsider this truck since it truely stock and well cared for, or just start looking West?
Attached Images

Last edited by 70VaHokie; 11-05-2017 at 06:27 PM.
70VaHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: New member looking for 1st gen K5

-
It would certainly be worth looking at. Take a piece of cardboard and a GOOD strong flashlight with you and go over it with a fine tooth comb. If you have owned trucks in the past then you have some idea what to look for. There are also plenty of threads on here with tips on what to look for with this era trucks.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
70VaHokie

Re: New member looking for 1st gen K5

I passed on this one and I am no longer just looking. I just confirmed shipment this afternoon of my new 1970 K5. It should arrive sometime this weekend. The chassis and body was already restored. The interior is a clean slate. It is a New Mexico truck, rust free, with a mild 350 and a 4 speed manual. Looking forward to finishing the interior restoration. Even though I owned one in the past, I will have a lot to re-learn and am thankful that this forum exists!
70VaHokie is offline   Reply With Quote