The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
1976K5CHALET

How low can i go?

Since the vast majority of my database filed away in my noodle is geared towards 4x4 K5's....i could use some advice. I have a 78 2wd K5 runner that i think i will dig in my box of goodies and swap in an 80 cab with A/C.....but that cab is a 4x4 and i hear the trans humps are different? Would like to clear that up....

Then i am going to rewire it with an 87 up complete tbi harness from a K5 with matching steering column....swap the intake over and add tbi and a 700R4 once i figure out what years of trux or cars can provide a donor 700 with appropriate length tail shaft housing etc.... (member...as carlos says....i'm Deet Da Dee with the 2wd stuff).

So....eventually i want it dumped bad with tucked up 20's or something crazy like a Dub City toy at walmart....but in the mean time....to use her as my shop go gitter....how low can i go with out porterbilts help etc....ie: xx spindles.....rear flip...shackles = xx can run factory rallies....

Smack me with some ideas guys....really wanna start in on this project instead of walking around it in the shop...lol.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: How low can i go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976K5CHALET View Post
Since the vast majority of my database filed away in my noodle is geared towards 4x4 K5's....i could use some advice. I have a 78 2wd K5 runner that i think i will dig in my box of goodies and swap in an 80 cab with A/C.....but that cab is a 4x4 and i hear the trans humps are different? Would like to clear that up....

Then i am going to rewire it with an 87 up complete tbi harness from a K5 with matching steering column....swap the intake over and add tbi and a 700R4 once i figure out what years of trux or cars can provide a donor 700 with appropriate length tail shaft housing etc.... (member...as carlos says....i'm Deet Da Dee with the 2wd stuff).

So....eventually i want it dumped bad with tucked up 20's or something crazy like a Dub City toy at walmart....but in the mean time....to use her as my shop go gitter....how low can i go with out porterbilts help etc....ie: xx spindles.....rear flip...shackles = xx can run factory rallies....

Smack me with some ideas guys....really wanna start in on this project instead of walking around it in the shop...lol.

DW

Wow.. Well I will just drop a little note after all that.. First the tubs in the floor are not the same, but you can just un bolt them and put a 2wd one in.

Now for the lowering, you can go crazy or just a simple drop with springs and spindles. Here is a a old pic that road good and looked good. 3" spindles 2" springs up front, now I did a flip kit with a set of 94 4x4 blazer leafs. but you can do a set of 2" shackles and take the stock 1 1/2" black out and the long leaf out to get it down. Hope all this helps..
Attached Images

tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I know for a fact that in the mid-up 80's trucks the trans hump is not unboltable, atleast the 4x4 arent...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
moneyeater

Hey Douglas, sorry i´m not in the anatomic differences between 2wd and 4wd blazers but lowering one is going to be very cool no matter if you go all out with rockerscraping and 24s or just streetstyle with ralleys! I´m looking forward to what it´ll look like! And surely the ridequality will improve too!

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Trucks had high and low humps, but I "think" Blazers were all low hump. I'm sure someone will verify that and correct me.

Your prohibiting factor up front is the crossmember. If you remove the inner fender-liners, you can lay the A-arms on the ground. The frame (and rockers) will still be a few inches in the air.

Do you want a static drop or adjustable suspension like air ride? That will make a difference on what route you take.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-06-2008 at 09:51 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

All Blazers came with high trans humps.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
1976K5CHALET

Well...depending on the cost i'd kill for the ride of the airbag suspension...but to pit the 20's etc. i'll assume its either frame Z which i don't wish to do....but i need to member that co. in mesa az that makes the new front xmember....since i am in phx i could go visit thier shop tomorrow. So basically with spindles...no bags...etc. how low can one go and what tires-wheels can one stuff without killing an a/c box and still make corners?

DW
Old 07-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
1976K5CHALET

And thnx for the replies my friends...sry i didn't answer sooner just been busy on the rig and treasure hunting and now i am in phx on vacation....wed we head for SD with the kiddo's to visit Sea World.

DW
Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
moneyeater

Hey douglas,
i think the company you mean is porterbuild customs!
http://www.porterbuiltstreetrods.com/home.php

Another company that makes custom crossmembers and suspension stuff is Jim Meyers Racing!

http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/

Volker

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

You can chop a crossmember also, but you can get one pretty low with just spindles and suspension.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

For what you are looking to do, maybe you can find a decently clean 87-91 Blazer to use, tub and all. Then it would be a matter of finding a 2wd truck trans. If not, maybe look for an 87-91 Suburban to swipe the entire drivetrain out of, with the column, etc. They still seem to be pretty easy to find around here. Also, I would think you could just cover up the hole from the transfer case shifter, and use the trans tunnel that's in the tub you are using.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #12
lownfast
Gettinlow & Goinfast

i know a frame Z may sound like a hard job but its really not to bad, just be sure to measure twice. this is a 3.5 Z with drop spindles and it will lay rocker with almost 1/2in clearance from control arm to the ground. the two issues here are building a steering shaft (i used flaming river joints) and getting aftermarket a/c under the dash.
70' Chevelle #EvilAnnie Lsx/4L80/S475 turbo-
85' C20 crew, 5.3/6L90/S475 turbo-
68' C10 5.3/4L60/Level 2 coil overs
Facebook- Protouringtexasdotcom
Instagram- @Protouringtexas
lownfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

Mine has a 6" flip in the back and 3" drop spindles 1" drop springs with 1 full coil cut off. This is as low as I would go with a static drop. I had some 15" rims with a 26" tall tire and would bottom out the A-arms if the road wasn't totally flat. Speed bumps where a hazzard I wouldn't even try. With a 28" tire it goes down the road nicely and some speedbumps cause problems but I can make it over most of them.

It's about 3.5" off the ground at the lowest point.

It can go lower in the back but I like a little rake. That and the body trim makes it look like a lowrider with the front up higher than the back when the rockers are level. I don't know if it's just the burbs or what but the trim drops about 1.25" lower at the back compaired to the doors. I think it makes the back end look like it is sagging. When there bagged and lay frame it dosn't bother me as much for some reason it isn't so noticeable or it's just overlooked cuz it's on the ground. IMO

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 07-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #14
1976K5CHALET

Ok gents...need to blow the dust off this old post of mine now that the 78 is in the shop and in the air on stands.

Rear brakes are good...check...
Front brakes...not so good so i smell calipers...rotors and pads.
Cleaned the cemented 30 years of crud off the top of the upper balljoints and i see rivets so i'll assume assembly line items...so i'd guess the entire front end needs new parts as its all oem....and plain tuckerd out after 30 years...

I plan to steal the factory ralleys off the 79 2wd in the field as the factory steel stamps on her now look horrid....so with a job i'll have to scrounge up some used tires around this small town somewhere.

Sooo....i might as well do some sort of a drop on the cheap and drive her around town instead of the dmax should i have to let the repo man take her.
I have a few hundred i can spare...so with everyones sage advice....and then hopefully a group look see in our garages and friends garages maybe i can piece together enough parts to lower her a tad...

Crossing fingers that someone around here like me and all my 4wd parts has some 2wd stuff stashed in used form to fit the boards general advice on how low i can go on the cheap...

And as i see the lingo has changed over the years...a static drop.

DW

Last edited by 1976K5CHALET; 03-29-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Man you are doing all up this time.. Let us know if you need any help or anything..
Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
1976K5CHALET

Since this K5 came to me cheap and used...before i sell something i generally like to go thru them bumper to bumper being an ex anal wrench and somewhat of a K5 expert (blazerchalet dot com). And if worse comes to worse...i have a cheap to insure daily driver. Half way thru the carb rebuild and i have realized i have time...a modded tbi intake for the old heads...a 90 K5 column and complete harness...plus all the parts to make her tbi...save a 2wd 700R4...so if i have parts...or can horsey trade for what i don't have....why not.

DW
Old 03-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

That's bad when you forget what you have. I wish I can do that and then have all the part at my shop..