The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
77c10

Re: NAPA disappointment

I've never had much luck with Napa. I normally drive across town to Auto Zone because of the rewards program. I live within 1 mile of O'reilly's and used to go there alot till one day. I sent my wife in there to get a brake spoon. The kid behind the counter had no idea what she was talking about so he took her over to the tool isle and told her it was somewhere on that isle. She left pissed off. I sent an e-mail to the district manager about the incident and all I got back was a reply saying "Sorry for your trouble".
77 C10, 6.0LS/4L80E, 3:73 12 bolt. Boss 338's 20" x 10" w/ 285/50/20 rear. 20" x 8.5" w/ 245/40/20 front. Vintage Air. Full Autometer gauges recessed in factory bezel (Thanks bigblock73!) Gm Storm Grey Metallic paint

"Cool ain't ever cheap and cheap ain't ever cool"
77c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #27
68chevytruck

Napa is not the problem here. If you have had problems at your local napa store it is the people that the store specifically hired. my .02
68chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #28
Blessed66

I usually love these discussions, because I have either worked for or worked "with" a local parts company (ABC Auto, for those in East Texas), O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Pep Boys, Bumper-to-Bumper, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts and some of the "small scale" parts houses - the mom & pop, only have one or two locations small businesses.

Like dealerships and independent service facilities, there is a built-in failure rate. I will say with 100% confidence that I know I have failed people in the past, it's part of the business - unfortunately. We are all human.

The biggest problem I have with almost every parts store is they refuse to hire or retain people (in my experience) who might actually know a thing or two about cars. In my entire work history, I have an array of experience - including in management (parts and dealership service), Chrysler, Ford, and GM training regarding troublshooting and repair issues, and have successfully turned a net profit in a small parts store south of Lufkin way back in 2009.

But you guys want to know the worst part? I cannot seems to find a "parts store" manager who wants to cough up my desired pay rate. Once you start talking $10+ an hour, they all balk. Trust me, I've tried.

I may be awkward and ramble online, but behind a parts counter, I was a force to be reckoned with. I was the type of guy who would call every available source if I didn't have a part, I was the guy that would slap on wipers in the middle of a storm with no hesitation, and I was the guy who greeted people and actually got to the root of their issue - even if it meant telling them I think they might have another issue and to go back and check this or that.

"Difficult" customers (I know we all can be one) were the best. Some guys and gals come in with what they expect to be a pain in the butt to find problem - sound familiar? - only for me to solve it without even breaking a sweat.

So yeah, getting back to the point, I've been disappointed with a lot of stores from time to time, and I've been amazed at what talent and knowledge some parts people have... I chalk it up to luck of the draw, you'll have a bad experience any place you go, on a long enough timeline. But always, always find the guy who works at those locations that actually knows his stuff.

If it weren't for customers who came looking for me, specifically, I probably never would have learned as much or stayed in the business as long as I could.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Blessed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

The problem isn't NAPA, it's the lame help and or management. Yoou should complain to corporate so they can put some heat under their butts.

I don't know what I'd do w/o my local NAPA store. Parts don't come from infinite sources. Many stores sell parts from the same place but have them packaged as their brand. The rebuilt parts are a crap shoot, but are warrantied. I have had good luck with those. Often the higher price part is same as cheaper and you are only paying more for a better warranty.
I live near a small town, so out NAPA is a smaller one. But I have never had to wait more than 1/2 day for a part. Often they can catch the driver enroute and I get the part within an hour. I could always just run up to the hub store about 20 minutes and get it quick. They run at least 3 trucks and the place is hoppin'. It seems every shop in the area relies on them. The manager is very serious about getting the right parts out ASAP. They had a sign looking for counter help. I asked on my son's behalf and job was filled. I asked what the requirements were, such as knowing the program on the computer. The manager said, "Someone who knows cars". He said the program doesn't matter when you don't know what you are looking for. Said it took him a year to get it down and they just help new people get it. It all depends on who is running the store, who they hire, and how they are managed. The sign just tells you where you are.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote