The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
TheBrewery

Thumbs down POL - Disc Brake Kit

On a 5 scale:

Ease of ordering: *****
Shipping Cost: ***
Shipping time: ****
Quality of Parts: ** (for now, still installing)
Ease of install: TBD

I was very surprised that POL was the cheapest for the kit and I didn't have to wait 3 months for it

$1,479.94 - Brothers
$1,654.65 - LMC
$1,222.94 - POL (plus they had a 10% for labor day so it was ~1100)

More to come this week as I tackle the install.

Last edited by TheBrewery; 10-24-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Updated Quality of parts from 4 stars to 2
TheBrewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
TheBrewery

Re: POL - Disc Brake Kit

So on the fitment, not perfect. The spindle is contacting the upper A arm so I will have to grind something down to make it fit.

Also the "pre-built" spindles were not really built they were assembled but nothing was torqued or had the cotter pins installed. While I would always check these things before driving the car it should have been flagged as not ready to run.
2016 Chevrolet Colorado z71
2016 Chevrolet Traverse - Wifes Car
2014 Honda CBR500R <- Also A Dust Collector
2009 Suzuki GSXR600 <- Stolen
Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
TheBrewery

So I talked to a tech at POL, he said that because the suspension is at full droop that it will contact and it shouldn't with weight on it... I don't get it, every other car I have worked on you want everything to move for the full range of the suspension travel, if I sink one of the front tires in a pot hole I don't think my steering should lock up... Am I wrong?

On the assembled spindles, they are not by any means ready to run... you have to dismantle them, grease the bearings, install the grease seals, reassemble, and torque it. It's all in the instructions that they DON'T SEND YOU.

So my question is, if I being a fairly competent home mechanic had just installed the spindles and gone for a drive I would have risked damaging my truck and/or killing myself or someone else. Not cool. Again I may be wrong here but I think that they should include instructions, Tag the spindle assembly as NOT READY TO RUN, or at the very least mention it on the web site so you have a reference.

Rant over... More to come as it complete the install.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Welcome to POL, first off I'm surprised you got all the parts the first time, and they were for the vehicle you had. They always blame you, its never the parts.

It is a little scary that they would state "preassembled" and not clearly note it needs to be greased in the same sentence. Some guys with not much experience would just put them on not knowing any better and also scary that binding through the suspension travel is ok with them.

I purchased from them once, never again not even if they are the only ones that have it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
keetonb25

I ordered the aluminum master cylinder and proportioning valve kit from them. Instructions weren't great and the proportioning valve leaked out of the front. So I thought that was the issue I had with getting my system to bleed. They sent me a me one free of cost in a very timely manner. Threw it on, no leaks still can't get to bleed. Going to try the willwood kit to see if the master is the issue. If it fixes it I'll be less than pleased with them.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
TheBrewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetonb25 View Post
I ordered the aluminum master cylinder and proportioning valve kit from them. Instructions weren't great and the proportioning valve leaked out of the front. So I thought that was the issue I had with getting my system to bleed. They sent me a me one free of cost in a very timely manner. Threw it on, no leaks still can't get to bleed. Going to try the willwood kit to see if the master is the issue. If it fixes it I'll be less than pleased with them.
There is a special procedure for bleeding the proportioning valve prior to bleeding the lines. I have not even tried it yet but I have heard it's a PITA to get it right, this video makes it look fairly easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osC7t3s3J7g
Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
keetonb25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewery View Post
There is a special procedure for bleeding the proportioning valve prior to bleeding the lines. I have not even tried it yet but I have heard it's a PITA to get it right, this video makes it look fairly easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osC7t3s3J7g
Yeah I've tried it all. Want to switch anyways because the latch hits the firewall making it so you can't take the lid off...
Old 10-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #8
TheBrewery

More issues with the kit, the banjo bolts are too small for the calipers... they fit the hoses that they sent but not the calipers If you have ever tried to buy new brake hoses for a project car it's impossible to do because every parts house only has them by make and model not by fitting size and length.

Now I have to wait until Monday to call and see what their excuse is for this one...
Old 10-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Indian113

Sorry about the bad luck your having. Thanks for the heads up as I had been looking at that kit myself just hadn't pulled lever!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
TheBrewery

So I had to source new lines and banjo bolts locally, luckily Godman Hi-performance is right down the street and makes damn good products! The bolts and lines were 10mm, I needed 7/16ths when I talked to POL they started to say I screwed up by ordering the 10mm... I cut him off and said I only selected the upgrade to stainless steel lines... he replied SIR I AM LOOKING AT THE ORDER WHERE YOU PICKED 10MM... I snapped back IF YOU LOOK AT THE ORDER PROCESS FOR YOUR KIT THE ONLY OPTION IS TO UPGRADE OR NOT IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE OPTION ON SIZES, AND HOW THE HELL WOULD I KNOW WHAT I NEEDED FOR CALIPERS I DON'T HAVE YET... he calmed down pretty quick, and issued an RMA for the bolts and lines. We will see if they try to charge me a restocking fee.

And the fun doesn't end there folks, the POL proportioning valve was leaking like crazy, in the back where the line for the rear connects there is a 20mm bolt with some kind of valve in it that was just pissing fluid... So when I called them they started to fight a little bit then went, wait your had problems with your lines right? I said I would just buy a new one locally and toss theirs in the box with the lines, he agreed.

Moral of the story, have your **** straight and do not back down when they try to bully you about not knowing what you are doing.

Off to the local shop tomorrow to hopefully finish this beast and get it on the road.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
TheBrewery

Sorry for the delay in the updates. The disc brakes are installed and mostly working. I had to replace the proportioning valve as the one they sent leaked from this hole which i have no idea why its there.

I have yet to receive a RMA or shipping label, so I will have to spend another hour on the phone with them this afternoon

What I have learned from this: Buy everything you can locally and build your own kit, while it may be more work upfront you won't be stuck with a car that doesn't work waiting for parts.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have found from experience when dealing with POL that if you don't get your parts, or RMA or refund in a few days call them and ask for the bookkeeper and explain that in 2 days you filing a chargeback to the CC you used. Document all that transpired and send it off with the charge back to your CC. Within days you'll have what you want
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote