The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
rob32472

Thumbs down One Piece Window Conversion Kit for '67-'72 GM Trucks

Guys be real careful with this kit...... unless these have been changed since Ebfabman installed them on project cod fish there are some real issues that need to be addressed...... 1) you will have to grind the hex out of the latch for clearance.... 2) the window will not roll down all the way with out cutting the stop at door bottom. 3) you will have to cut notches in the scrubbers to clear the window mounts. 4) I dont like the fact the scrubbers glue in..... We spent alot of time to get these "right" love the look but this "kit" is not perfected yet...... I spoke with the guy at the opp and relayed all the info from the install and he was surprised he ask "what was the skill level of the guy installing this kit"? My reply "you have no idea how good he is"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-02-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Original post recovered- DO NOT EDIT
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
ebfabman

Re: One Piece Window Conversion Kit for '67-'72 GM Trucks

Not bashing, please don't take it that way. BUT as Rob said the "kit" was far from desirable as a functioning window. Yes they look good but thats about it. With Rob's project we were after not only the look but wanted a good fit and smooth up and down operation. The "kit" installed as per instructions would not let the glass sit parallel in the opening which put the glass in a bind against the scrubbers. This is great as far as rattles go because it keeps the glass tight in the opening but creates too much resistance to use power windows to any degree of normal use. If its just the look, thats one thing. But all else, in my opinion not even close to worth it. Let me say once again the look is GREAT!

Also we followed the instructions exactly, even call the guy who makes them while we were installing them to be sure we were doing what he suggest.

I hope someone comes up with something that works well without having to change so much just to get the windows to go easy and smooth up and down

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-02-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Original post recovered- DO NOT EDIT
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob32472;
Guys be real careful with this kit...... unless these have been changed since Ebfabman installed them on project cod fish there are some real issues that need to be addressed...... 1) you will have to grind the hex out of the latch for clearance.... 2) the window will not roll down all the way with out cutting the stop at door bottom. 3) you will have to cut notches in the scrubbers to clear the window mounts. 4) I dont like the fact the scrubbers glue in..... We spent alot of time to get these "right" love the look but this "kit" is not perfected yet...... I spoke with the guy at the opp and relayed all the info from the install and he was surprised he ask "what was the skill level of the guy installing this kit"? My reply "you have no idea how good he is"
How long ago was this? OPP is on revision 5 of these.

1)Page 33 of the fitment/adjustments. Some doors require this.
2)Was this a power window setup, if so, you have to notch the power setup to add the extra "V", I have never cut the bottom stop. E
3)never had this happen, did you verify that they scrapers are flush to the trim when they were installed?
4)Scrapers with clips are coming out and will eliminate the possibility of #3, in addition the video install will show how customers can add clips to the scrapers.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I guess I'm nobody....

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
ebfabman

Why not post some detailed videos addressing any/all issues. This would greatly help sales. All the videos I've seen seemed incomplete and were of doors not even on the truck, and were not very detailed. If there have been improvements please show us. The "kit" Rob got from one piece products was far from making an easy operating window. We followed the instructions exactly and even called the guy who makes them as we were installing them to be sure we were doing everything as he suggest. Again, If there has been improvements, show some videos of operating windows installed on a truck ready for the road. Power windows would be even better.

thanks.....eb
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Whose videos have you seen. OPP has only just started making the 67-72 videos. The problem with making videos with all the "issue" is finding a door that has them all. Not sure what the difference would be if the video is with a door on the truck or not, I have done both.

See below for Video installation guide Also linked in my store (part 1-4 currently more parts added as they are created)
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
ebfabman

Thats the videos I've seen. There must be a video of the finished products missing??? No way anyone can install the window kit with any degree of success using those videos as any kind of guide. They leave out way to much detail. Those videos don't show a complete install or any working window. I am speaking from experience. My fabrication skills are very good.

Last edited by ebfabman; 12-30-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Yes, there are videos left that he hasn't uploaded yet. Have you seen the 73-87 videos?
I really don't see what all is missing and I am speaking from experience.

There isn't any fabrication required, just some adjustments. The only fabrication needed is if you are running power windows and you have to add a new notch to the regulator and the latch mod.

Keep in mind Ben @ OPP welcomes feedback and has modified the kits due to feedback. If you have something to add please do so.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
ebfabman

Not interested in the others at this time, we are working on 67-72. Maybe you have been very lucky in the installs you did but here are a FEW of the things we had to do to a good set of doors to get those windows to work even in a crude manner.
Maybe no fabrication but a quite a few modifications.
We had to relieve areas in the inner structure of the door shell FRONT AND BACK just to keep the window glass from rubbing HARD against it.
The window, as installed by the instructions, was not parallel in the opening. that caused a binding when the scrubbers were installed making the window hard to operate especially when rolling up. No way a power unit would work to any degree of satisfaction with this configuration. After several hours, we were able to get the glass centered in the opening without the bind.
We also had to grind away, fairly severely, the latch so the glass would not hit it. We used old latches as well as brand new ones as seen in the picture.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
ebfabman

and here
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

73-87 videos for reference, not for a kit.

In the instructions it states the some latches must be ground in that area due to the close fit along with the front inside hump may need to be ground.

Is the piece you cut out on the back side of the door? I have sent Ben an email for him to look at this also.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
ebfabman

Yes front and back. if you look at the details in each pic, you can tell where the doors were cut for clearance. We cut and tried a few different doors, all had the same issues. We also ground several old latches. I felt having to grind that much on the latch began to create an unsafe situation.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
CHP c-10

Hey there,
Just stumbled upon this review section too..
Anyway, I used the One piece products window conversion. In fact just finished installing it only a few days ago. 68 chevy with their power set up. The window kit is installed and I have tested with temp power a half dozen times. I hope it holds up over time, but with my specific doors I got lucky- fit and works pretty darn well. My one problem area is it is about a 1/4" above the door edge- flush with the rubber of the scrapers (and yes I cut an extra notch into the gear spool and then some). It took me a good eight hours of adjusting once they were in. I didn't have to grind on the latch or the door bottom/edge-it is very close though. I hope they continue to work well because they look spectacular. (pics coming soon)
CHP c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
chapster

for the people who have installed these kits, do you think there is any benifit or even enough room going to a bear claw latch?
I do have one of these kits but not yet installed.
1967 GMC shorty Parts Pile: NoLimit, Accu Air, Kore 3, Matts Classic Bowtie, March Performance, Lokar, ScottsHot Rods, Vintage Air, American Auto Wire, Circle D, Accu Air, Borla, Budnik, Ididit, One Piece Windows, Doug Thorley, Pypes, AutoLoc, Porterbuilt, CPP, Dynamat, Dakota Digital, Fesler

1968 Chevy c10 shorty Stepper (Patina LS project)
1967 gmc custom Long Box (Farm Truck Project)
chapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #15
57sailplane

soo

are these still a pain in the but to install. seems 2011 was the last post surly there has been more updates since then.

anyone put a set of these in as of late.

later andrew k
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #16
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
soo

are these still a pain in the but to install. seems 2011 was the last post surly there has been more updates since then.

anyone put a set of these in as of late.

later andrew k
Here is a set we installed a set on Project Snakebit. This is the best looking kit on the market in my opinion!

Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Hmmm...I'm hoping the kit isn't too bad to install-I have a local guy who wants to use this window kit but use my auto up/down express window harness for it-we shall see I guess. I'm not opposed to grinding/cutting and an little trial/error....as long as the glass travel is smooth I'm good to spring for it.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
JRracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsanehotrodz View Post
Here is a set we installed a set on Project Snakebit. This is the best looking kit on the market in my opinion!

Which kit is this? Brothers or one peice.com?
JRracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #19
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRracing View Post
Which kit is this? Brothers or one peice.com?
We only use One Piece Products. I don't like the looks of the Brothers kit.
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
dr_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsanehotrodz View Post

Is the latest kit easier? How much grinding and cutting is involved now? Ive heard OPP has iterated the kit to make it better\easier?
dr_time is offline   Reply With Quote