The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
nakdskydiv

HO52 Locker Issues

Hi Everyone,

Just put a locker in my rear. It always locks in reverse. However when driving it will disengage one or both axels. This occurs with a bang then a loud racheting sound. To reengage truck must be stopped, put in reverse, sometimes more than once. It occurs under all driving conditions and without warning otherwise the rear is quiet. Any ideas.

Thank you,
JC
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: HO52 Locker Issues

Just a hunch...is your transfer case and motor bolted down real well? I was getting loud clunk when pulling into parking spaces. It turns out my transfer case/transmission/engine unit would shift and it would clunk. If not that,the only real thing to allow it to engage/disengage would be a problem with a side spring,I'd think.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
SS Tim

First off... Welcome To The Board!

This is your only free answer until you provide a picture of your truck.

KIDDING!... Really, though we do like pictures.

Several questions come to mind.
Is this a new unit?
Did you buy it used/abused from someone else?
Did you inspect it prior to installation?
Did you perform the on vehicle test that is in both the service manual and the overhaul manual?

No-Spin/Detroit locker are by nature loud and a lot of banging is to be expected. In normal straight ahead driving it should remain locked. In turns it will unlock the outside wheel until their relative speeds reduce enough to allow the springs to re-lock the turning axle.
It sounds to me that you might have weak springs and more likely chewed engagement teeth on a number of parts. How are you determining that it is locking or not locking?

If you don't have a service manual you should look before trying to open one. Those are some HD springs in there trying to escape.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
nakdskydiv

It is 100% a locker issue. I did the manual tests and all checked out. It is used as I did not think they still made the locker for the HO52. I took it apart cleaned it with brake cleaner. All teeth appear good. Nothing broken.

I have heard possible spring issue. What's the solution? Is a replacement available? I have also heard the case could be warped.

I am familiar with the locker noises. When it goes, first a bang, then a grinding locker gears sound till both driveshaft and wheels stop. It usually looses power to both wheels. That is when it has to be put in reverse to reset. It also will go out under various driving conditions, hard and casual, straight and turning.

I am just about ready to go back to spider gears. And yes I will post pictures if she ever comes off the lift.

Regards,
JC
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
SS Tim

Sometimes, very rarely, a new unit will pop up from someone's stash.
It does indeed sound like an internal problem. Did you service it with a manual to verify all the interals are there? The springs are of course suspect as are the teeth angles but from what you are describing it seems like the cam might be an issue. I'll think some more on this and see if I have anything beyond the overhaul manual's sparse information. Looks like is is coming back out for inspection and repairs. To keep the truck up and running you might want to swap the spiders back in.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
nakdskydiv

Hi Tim,
I have been messing with this rear for 6 weeks. At this point I can remove it in about 20 min. I have another housing I am going to swap, see if that does anything. Randy's Ring and Pinion suggested the case might be the problem. After that I am tempted to stretch the springs. Then it's spider gears back in and save for a 14bolt rear and locker.

JC
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
SS Tim

Just arrived back home tonight. Need to look like I said. It has to be something simple. Are you sure you have all the parts and they don't look all chewed up? Did you measure the free height of the springs? Are they the same? You do need the 1/2x6" bolt to put it together right?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
SS Tim

Here these should be of some help. Spring free height is 2 1/8 - 2 1/4.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I think parts are available. I think most parts are the same as the 14-bolt version still made...biggest difference being axle spline count. I have a unit that gave me problems I never figured out. I had another unit and just switched. But,when I took the bad one out I somehow misplaced one spring (I was at a buddy's garage). It sucks because that's what I suspected was the culprit and with one missing I have no way to verify. What mine did was only one wheel was locked full time. It was like a go cart. I couldn't back up an incline in gravel. Everything looked fine,so now my only solution is get springs,put it together,and see what happens. These things are butt simple,yet can stump you when they don't work right. They seldom mess up and it seems no one knows how to deal with it when they do. So,I can relate to your frustration. It seems engagement issues are all bout the springs,though,unless there is visual gear damage. So,I guess another possibility could be warpage of the case. Question is,how the heck does that happen? Did the unit have the ring and pinion with it when you bought it? Was it the whole chunk or just the locker itself? If it was the complete center section,where the ring & pinion in good shape or were there any other signs of wear or damage?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
SS Tim

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128312.pdf
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
nakdskydiv

It did come with the whole center section. However my bearings are in much better shape and it was a 4:56 I wanted to retain my 4:11 or 4:10 whichever it is. So I just used the locker.

Tomorrow night I am going back in and stretching the springs, see what that does. If it improves at least I know the issue and can look for replacements.

Thanks for the help I will keep you updated.

JC
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I'll be looking. Maybe we'll all learn something here. I have a 4.10 HO52 w/No-Spin to put in my '72 K2500 when I put the Dana 60 up front. It was in good operating condition when removed to install a 3.73 14-bolt/Dana 44 for the higher gearing. I'm hoping it will be good to go,but you never know. I have spare lockers,just in case,but would still want to fix any I have. I've used them forever without ever needing to fix one. But,they're not gettin' any younger.

Tim

Closed Thread