The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
Livemeyer

What is junk?

My old truck came partially disassembled with lots of parts in boxes. I'm sort of hanging on to a lot of stuff that I have no need for because I've replaced it with new aftermarket stuff. For instance, I find in the box the original single cylinder non-power assist brake master cylinder. It's completely dry and rusty and I'd never consider putting it back on the truck... but what if someone else needs some of this stuff??? I'm not trying to sell anything here, just basically having second thoughts as I hold boxes of rusty old parts over the trash bin...
Attached Images

Last edited by Livemeyer; 09-30-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added photos
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
vics stuff

Re: What is junk?

Great trading material. That master cylinder can be rebuilt.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
nvrdone

load this stuff up and go to the Monroe swap meet this spring. don't get a booth. there are at least 2 vendors there who sell used ad truck parts and buy this stuff. also walk around with a sign on your back advertising parts. you would be suprised at the response you get
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
vics stuff

when i am at swap meets , i walk around with a cardboard sandwich sign on front and back side of me and I list what I am looking for . My friends laugh at me but I always get responses. Even from the cute girls .
A great way to advertise.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
when i am at swap meets , i walk around with a cardboard sandwich sign on front and back side of me and I list what I am looking for . My friends laugh at me but I always get responses. Even from the cute girls .
A great way to advertise.
Vic
I didn't know looking for cute girls at a swap meet was an option.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
nvrdone

we find em where we can.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
mick53

"Chicks dig it" is always a factor in my decisions.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
mr48chev

That comes under the "do I have a place to store it where it won't be in the way" thing. At least take the pushrod and clevis off and save the cap if you throw the MC away. There is probably someone looking at the photos now thinking that they wonder if they should pm you on the pushrod and clevis. Not worth a lot but it sure will save someone's bacon and a headache one of these days.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
Dachshund

Yeah - I have a PILE of that kind of stuff - ranging from Huck parts to a hood and fenders - with stuff in between. Gotta get it out of here, it's taking up valuable room, but hate to scrap it....
Closest swap is over 2 hours away in Kansas City.....
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Getter-Done

Swap meet or yard sale.
I have bought stuff at yard sales to sell at swap meets.
Also You never know what the creative guys that build rat rods will use.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
mr48chev

2 whole hours Wow. Some of us drive a thousand miles to a swap meet to buy or sell.

I'm sorry for what appears to be a smart a@% comment but in the real world a two hour drive somewhere is not a big deal. That is still a beer run for some guys in Texas.

I understand that you are asking if what you have has any market and enough value to make it worth Keeping and actually taking somewhere an selling or putting on Ebay and selling and shipping.

That rather depends on the individual part and how often they get lost in the process. That clevis and pushrod should be something that someone is hunting. Only worth a couple of bucks in real money but the guy restoring his truck that the previous owner pulled the master cylinder and pushrod and clevis off and then scrapped them because he didn't plan to use them before loosing interest in the truck will need them. The Huck brake parts might not be worth a lot either but if the drums are turnable to within specs someone probably needs them. Those little hardware pieces get lost too. I drove 80 miles down to the Dalles oregon to meet one of the guys on here to trade a set of 5 lug drums and backing plates for his Huck drums and backing plates and hardware so I can use the Huck drums with my 18 inch 1932 Chevy wire wheels on a roadster I am slowly building. I still haven't figured out if I can swap the Huck rears to my 55 3100 rear axle that is going on it. That car will look like a late 20's eary 30's race car complete with lettering when it is done if it ever gets done.

Cash dollar wise you probably don't have enough dollar value to make it worth saving the stuff to haul it to a swap meet if it is all you have to sell. Still it's kind of fun to take stuff you don't need, sell it and then go spend the money on stuff you want with not guilt for spending the money. Swap meet money from stuff you don't have anything tied up in is kid in the candy store money at a swap meet. It's not like back of the wallet stashed and saved money to buy specific parts.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
Dachshund

"...2 whole hours Wow. Some of us drive a thousand miles to a swap meet to buy or sell.

I'm sorry for what appears to be a smart a@% comment but in the real world a two hour drive somewhere is not a big deal....."

It is when you have fake knees, a rod in your back, bad hips, and a couple of pins in your shoulders......Not to mention living on a fixed disability income from the VA. Sometimes the "real" world gets pretty ...real....
Old 10-04-2019, 12:56 AM   #13
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
2 whole hours Wow. Some of us drive a thousand miles to a swap meet to buy or sell.
And some guys eat well-done steaks. Different strokes for different folks!
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
And some guys eat well-done steaks. Different strokes for different folks!
You mean there is another way to eat steak???? Oh yeah - EXTRA WELL!
Old 10-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
vintovka

I have not seen much of anything over 30 years old at any Junkyards here i S. Oregon. Between the rust and value of AD parts they have all but disappeared. Used to see ADs all the time down in Central CA and smart enough to grab all the reusable parts i could at the time. Now the answer to "what is junk" is "junk is gold" . Speaking of which it really is "gold" as i found a hoard of gold washed dollar coins in one Junkyard wreck. Nice tools left behind as well!!!!!

Last edited by vintovka; 10-06-2019 at 12:45 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote