The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
keith808

ignition switch issue no pin markings

I bought a (1954-55 1st) Ignition Switch - Original Style from Classic Parts. part number 53-407. here is the link.

https://www.classicparts.com/1954-55...ctinfo/53-407/

it has no identification marks (bat, ignition, acces.) on the pins. i called them and spoke with the tech department and parts. no one knew and they said they sell them all the time and people figure it out. Well I am not great with electrical.
Anybody know a trick to figure out which pin is which? or if any of you bought this part and know which pin is which?

Thanks for any help..
Attached Images

keith808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: ignition switch issue no pin markings

Get out your ohm meter or continuity tester and go to work.

1 is for BATT. No power to either of the others in the OFF position.

1 is for ign. This will only have power in it's (on) position.

1 should be for ACCessory. This will have power in both the ign on and acc on positions.

In either of the on positions ign or acc you should not have power (continuity) across the ign and acc pins.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
keith808

Thanks
So I put the battery wire on a pin and turn the key to see if my meter registers volts. Keep moving the the battery wire until I get a reading on the other two pins. It will have to be one of them. Lol. Then test which pin only has power when key is set to accessories.

Thanks I will give this a go.

If anyone has any other ideas please reply.
Thanks
Old 04-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
mr48chev

That will work or you can just use the ohm meter.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
keith808

Thanks. Mr48chev
True. Using the ohm would be easiest. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Jemezcrusher

I am having the same issue. I have a little motorcycle battery that I use for testing, etc. The replacement switch I found for my 1950 3100 has three poles. Seems that no matter what pole you attach the hot to, the other two are dead until you rotate the switch. So if you want a dedicated hot it would have to be the pole you pull power to. I was thinking about something for a stereo that has presets, etc. So, no real assessory pole, just on or off on the two poles you don’t supply direct power to
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
dsraven

I think the original truck had a switch that used the one terminal for battery supply, one terminal for ignition and accy power (all off the same terminal) and the other terminal was either not used or was for accy with the switch turned backwards from the ign on. this way the points didn't get fried because the key was left on for the accy to work. there was probably a ballast resistor inline there somewhere as well, in the ign circuit. maybe this link will help. they talk about the wiring so maybe if you scroll through you will find a description. it would have been a 6 volt system as well and have a starter pedal to mechanically engage and power the starter motor.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...y-3100.980184/

another diagram

http://www.1954advance-design.com/Do...ingDiagram.jpg

from this site

http://www.1954advance-design.com/Documents.htm
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
dsraven

being the logical mechanical thinker I would assume the center terminal would be power in, the terminal to the counterclockwise direction (from backside) would be the ign and the opposite one would be accy. it just makes sense that the rotation of the switch would connect that way to power ign one way from "center" and accy the other way from "center"
ohm meter or battery and light tester would confirm
Old 12-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
I am having the same issue. I have a little motorcycle battery that I use for testing, etc. The replacement switch I found for my 1950 3100 has three poles. Seems that no matter what pole you attach the hot to, the other two are dead until you rotate the switch. So if you want a dedicated hot it would have to be the pole you pull power to. I was thinking about something for a stereo that has presets, etc. So, no real assessory pole, just on or off on the two poles you don’t supply direct power to
That would be because the connection for the acc was done when you rotate the switch with the contacts on the inside. If you turn it here it is just accessory, if you turn it there it is ign and acc.

It's probably been 30 year since I had to sort a switch out and then it was a later model switch out of a donor.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Jemezcrusher

I am still scratching my head. There are three tabs on mine and none are in the center. They are equally spaced around the perimeter on the back and would be the same no matter how it is installed. Only one position (due to foot starter) and does not seem to be an assessory only tab
Old 12-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
dsraven

if you go by the one in the original pic above, one tab is closer to the wing on the side of the switch and the other 2 are across from it and closer to each other. logic tells me those 2 closer together ones are the switch "out" terminals. try your ohmmeter to have "batt in" on the one next to the wing and see if you connect to one of the other tabs when the key is off. if you have no connection there (thats good) then try turning the switch on like normal-like ign run mode. check if you have connection to one of the other terminals but not the other terminal. then turn it the other way past the off position and see if it connects to the other terminal but not the first terminal-like accy mode. if so you have solved your problem.if not then do the same using one of the other terminals as batt in following the steps above.
when you get it figured out post some pics with a topic header so others can find it when they have the same issue as you are having.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you go by the one in the original pic above, one tab is closer to the wing on the side of the switch and the other 2 are across from it and closer to each other. logic tells me those 2 closer together ones are the switch "out" terminals. try your ohmmeter to have "batt in" on the one next to the wing and see if you connect to one of the other tabs when the key is off. if you have no connection there (thats good) then try turning the switch on like normal-like ign run mode. check if you have connection to one of the other terminals but not the other terminal. then turn it the other way past the off position and see if it connects to the other terminal but not the first terminal-like accy mode. if so you have solved your problem.if not then do the same using one of the other terminals as batt in following the steps above.
when you get it figured out post some pics with a topic header so others can find it when they have the same issue as you are having.

Here is the picture of mine. No matter what pole you hook power to, the other two are dead until you turn the switch, so no real assessory function

Just two poles with switched power. Can’t tell that any one of them is different from the others
Attached Images