The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
dragracer98

Bed Mat Modification Idea

I own a 1964 C10 SWB, fleet side. In my restoration I will be putting in a new wood bed and strips. However that will be sometime down the road. It will probably be the last thing I do. In the meantime I plan to put in a plywood bed. I think 1/4" to a 1/2" thick. I will paint the ply with a couple of coats of something. I have also found a rubber bed mat that is a molded piece that looks like a wood bed.

The mat comes in a 6.5ft long by 48"w x 3/8" thick and made of 100% recycled rubber. It would just lay on top of the plywood. My idea is to take two of these mats to cover the bed. It will be a total of 5 pieces to make the "I" shape of the bed floor. One complete mat in the middle of the bed and "corner" pieces cut to fit in front and back of the wheel tubs. I am trying to figure out the best way to attach the corner pieces. I have thought of just attaching the pieces with some sort of adhesive with either a butt joint or cutting the pieces and the mat ( where they attach) on a 45 degree angle for a better looking fit. Not crazy about this.

I am thinking just throwing the pieces in loose they might tend to curl up in the weather. Not ideal but the truck has to live outside right now. I was also thinking of perhaps attaching them with small diameter steel rods in holes drilled in the mat and corner pieces. Think of wood dowels holding a piece of furniture together. When and if I took the mat out it would be in 5 pieces, no big deal to me. It would be easy enough to attach or remove the pieces.

A friend says use some sort of super mega strength tape on the bottom, again not the best idea. He has also volunteered to paint the mat to look more like wood instead of it being black. The mat does have good detail molded in and that might look okay. Any ideas on attaching the corner pieces? All ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks. Randy
dragracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Bed Mat Modification Idea

What about moisture getting trapped under the mat? That would concern me if I had to park outside.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
jayoldschool

You need to make your ply bed the same thickness as the stock wood or the bed won't sit at the correct level.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
PGSigns

Yup it needs to be 3/4" thick. It is part of what holds your bed together and up at the correct height.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
AcampoDave

You can get close enough with 5/8. Just dont go pitching heavy stuff back there.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #6
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
What about moisture getting trapped under the mat? That would concern me if I had to park outside.
X2.
It needs to dry out after getting wet or it will rot. Not sure if plywood would last any longer than lumber (depends on lumber type), but either one will end up ruined. Leave it uncovered or pull the mat when it gets wet.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
X2.
It needs to dry out after getting wet or it will rot. Not sure if plywood would last any longer than lumber (depends on lumber type), but either one will end up ruined. Leave it uncovered or pull the mat when it gets wet.
+1 Roll it up when not in use.

I am doing a plywood bed to start and am about to start working on it. I bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and am painting it black with an exterior paint.

I am also going to eventually have a rubber bed mat in my bed for when i use it as a truck and don't want to mess up the wood bed. I plan on rolling it up when not in use. I will park my truck outside and don't want the risk of mold and mildew under the mat.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
bigmoe

The plywood would last quite a few years until you go with the real bed wood but I would water proof it somehow, especially the edges. Stain of some sort would be better than paint that will peel.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:33 AM   #9
dragracer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
The plywood would last quite a few years until you go with the real bed wood but I would water proof it somehow, especially the edges. Stain of some sort would be better than paint that will peel.
Thanks for all the input and ideas. Correct you are bigmoe. I will be sealing the plywood with a product that is used on wooden boats. A friend is giving me some of a sealer that his uncle put on his wood boat from the 30's or 40's, that sees a lot of use. Don't know what it is called but comes from a marine supply house back east. I will seal the top, bottom and edges of the wood.

I will take out the mat as needed and clean the area between the mat and the plywood to keep it clean and dry.
Randy
dragracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote