The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
bennylava

Fix some of the understeer?

As I'm sure most of you are aware, these truck suffer from some degree of understeer. I'd just like to know if anyone here ever did anything to correct it. About the only thing I can think of, would be changing the gear ratios in the steering box. But maybe someone else has some other ideas.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
kipps

Re: Fix some of the understeer?

A quick google search says front-heavy vehicles tend to understeer. Possibly a rear fuel tank instead of side-saddle tanks? Move the battery to the bed? Use a fiberglass doghouse? Maybe a Corvette transaxle?

Personally, I don't care. Mine's a 3/4 ton 4wd work truck. I'm just throwin' out a few hair-brained ideas.

Edit to add: steering ratio should have nothing to do with under or over steer. I'm pretty sure it's all about tires, weight distribution, and suspension(including frame flex).

Last edited by kipps; 05-06-2018 at 03:40 PM.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Kudzupatch

Steering box change will not have any effect on handling because it will not change suspension geometry which is what you need to change.

To change the handling your are going to have to change the suspension. Best bang for the buck is sway bars. Lot of things you can change and you spend as much money as want improving handling.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
SCOTI

Factory alignment specs favor under-steer as a safety net.

C10's usually call for +.5 camber w/o wearing the tires. I do -.5 camber. It makes a difference. Lowering the center of gravity & a 1.25" sway-bar also helps.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
cadillac_al

That's why everybody needs 2 vehicles. A car to race around with and a truck to haul stuff.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
That's why everybody needs 2 vehicles. A car to race around with and a truck to haul stuff.
I zip around corners just fine & can stll haul whatever in my CC dually. Just because the factory didn't optimize their potential doesn't mean we can't. My dually drives/rides like a much smaller truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Kudzupatch

My Suburban is lowered with front and rear sway bars. Other than lowering it, the suspension is pretty stock except for urethane sway bar bushings. It will surprise you how well it corners and how flat it stays. When you push it till it slips, it understeers, that is just normal for most of them.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Bluestep

A good rear sway bar and rebound clips on the leaf springs will help a lot.
I put a sway bar off of a '95 Nissan Pathfinder on my '74 Chevy 1/2 ton along with new rebound clips . This made the biggest improvement in the handling.
The very first thing to do is to check for "play" or movement in all the suspension (front and rear) and steering linkage parts and repair as needed. Shocks and tires affect handling and ride comfort a great deal. I think for the most part the suspensions on these pickups are pretty good other than the missing sway bar(s), which is common for most manufacturers. The current trend of spending a fortune to replace all the suspension with after market parts is really unnecessary if your goal is to have a good handling pickup. I love the way my pickup handles now after these and other changes. I like tossing it around the roundabouts near my house.
Bluestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

On another forum there was a make in handle thread, and I did everything it mentioned on my C20. Before it became my K20.

1 move the lower a arm forward 3/4 to 1 inch forward. This helps with camber gain in corners helping push the truck out of the corner.

2 you can lower the upper A arm down 1/2 inch. I forgot what this does.

Then the obvious like drop springs, spindles, and good shocks.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
On another forum there was a make in handle thread, and I did everything it mentioned on my C20. Before it became my K20.

1 move the lower a arm forward 3/4 to 1 inch forward. This helps with camber gain in corners helping push the truck out of the corner.

2 you can lower the upper A arm down 1/2 inch. I forgot what this does.

Then the obvious like drop springs, spindles, and good shocks.
#1 Improves caster. These trucks were limited in their caster range.
#2 Improves the camber curve. It's similar to the 'Gulstrand mod' many early f-body owners did.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #11
jkk

Put front and rear sway bars on it will make a diffrence
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote