The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
princessmattia

1976 GMC Stepside

I have a 76 Stepside given to my by my dad it was his daily driver has been in the family for over 20 years now. I want to restore it as it has been sitting for probably a good 10 years now. I want to make it into a show truck but not over the top. I want to lower it but have no clue about trucks whatsoever. Can you guys give me some tips on what type of lowering system I should use. I know I need to bag it because when sitting I want it to touch the ground but I also want to use it as a daily driver if I choose. Here's a couple pictures of the truck now and kind of what I want to achieve.
Attached Images

princessmattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Shugalou

Re: 1976 GMC Stepside

Congrats on the stepper - I have a 78. I also want to lower my truck but not that low...I think to go that low will cost a significant amount of money.

What I recommend is getting it up and running and iron out all the bugs and reliability issues - brakes, steering, cooling, ignition. Than start using it and if there is room left in the budget than invest into the asthetics...Everyone has their own approach but that is the way I am going about mine.

Welcome to the club

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
princessmattia

Thank you ☺️ everything runs perfect on it. My brother recently redid everything. Only thing it needs is some gauges. She's all ready for aesthetics now. I know it's pretty low but I love that look on these older trucks. I've got some idea of what it would cost but I'm trying to get all the options out there before I decide which way to go
Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 AM   #4
Jrgunn5150

Porterbuilt has everything you need to lay frame, if you really want it that low. Personally, I find a 3/5 drop to be a sane amount, that can be reliably driven daily.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
princessmattia

Thank you I will look into them. On my 2014 Silverado I am thinking about a 3/5 drop but for this one since its more of a show build vs daily driver but I wanted that option just in case I don't feel like driving my bigger truck.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Shugalou

Nice it's all ready for the road.

If you're going with big ass rims like that please put a big brake kit in there as the stocker drums will kill the look.

Do you or anyone else have an estimate on how much it would cost to dump it like this?

My guess with Rims, Rubber, Big Brake kit and suspension plus install it's gotta be close to 10K? Or am I off with this guess.

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
princessmattia

I'm thinking of putting it on 24's. I've heard pricing before to get it all the way done around 20k but that's interior, paint, everything the truck will need and that was when I was going to turn it into a fleetside but I have since decided to stick with the stepside. Ive been told for the bagging it can be between 2-4k
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
rip2174

Im in the process of getting my 84 stepper on the ground. I can lay frame but, now I'm trying to decide if I want pinch welds on ground. I do know that rear tire size height and wheel off set is a big factor with the step side fenders. I went with PB and very impressed with their products and customer service. They all their pricing on the website with all options.

I also agree if you go with big open wheels you should upgrade to a big brake kit as well.
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote