The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 PM   #1301
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Name:  DDEA782F-3398-4A69-BC08-F86D64417783.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  38.2 KB
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #1302
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

,,,,
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 AM   #1303
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

,,,
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 AM   #1304
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

,,,
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #1305
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

.....
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:22 AM   #1306
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

...
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #1307
Keith Seymore
Registered User
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 7,867
Re: Vintage picture thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
Post 1291
That's the back lot at Flint Assembly, circa 1979.

Those are repair vehicles waiting to go back inside for something (mechanical repair, paint repair, could be something major or something minor). Or they could be done and ready to be driven over to the shipping building.

The way they would mark where each truck needed to go next was with the "repair ticket", the stack of individual repair cardstock from when the vehicle went down the line. They would place the ticket strategically in some location - rolled up in the door handle, smashed in the vent glass, under the windshield wiper - and that would tell the drivers to take that vehicle to paint repair, or light repair, or heavy repair, or shipping, etc.

God forbid some student grab that repair ticket, look at it, and not put it back where it was!!

Every so often we would "lose" a vehicle on property. When it came time to ship it we wouldn't be able to find it. In extreme cases we would simply build another one just like it (different VIN) and ship that one to fulfill the vehicle order. Usually the "lost" vehicle would turn up somewhere at the end of the model year when the repair backlog was worked down to a more reasonable level.

K
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - Feb 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #1308
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
That's the back lot at Flint Assembly, circa 1979.

Those are repair vehicles waiting to go back inside for something (mechanical repair, paint repair, could be something major or something minor). Or they could be done and ready to be driven over to the shipping building.

The way they would mark where each truck needed to go next was with the "repair ticket", the stack of individual repair cardstock from when the vehicle went down the line. They would place the ticket strategically in some location - rolled up in the door handle, smashed in the vent glass, under the windshield wiper - and that would tell the drivers to take that vehicle to paint repair, or light repair, or heavy repair, or shipping, etc.

God forbid some student grab that repair ticket, look at it, and not put it back where it was!!

Every so often we would "lose" a vehicle on property. When it came time to ship it we wouldn't be able to find it. In extreme cases we would simply build another one just like it (different VIN) and ship that one to fulfill the vehicle order. Usually the "lost" vehicle would turn up somewhere at the end of the model year when the repair backlog was worked down to a more reasonable level.

K
Awesome backstory, thanks for sharing the details Keith - always informative!

These lot pics from Flint seem difficult to locate?
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #1309
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Name:  7BED720E-EFCE-49F8-BB46-4BA51C68DF19.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  80.7 KB
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #1310
Keith Seymore
Registered User
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 7,867
Re: Vintage picture thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
Awesome backstory, thanks for sharing the details Keith - always informative!

These lot pics from Flint seem difficult to locate?
There is at least one more here:

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/Assembly%20Line.htm

It still looks like that. They are building Heavy Duty Silverado and Sierra pickups there now. The plant is bordered by I-75 to the west and I-69 to the north, so when exiting the freeway you get a good elevated view of what's going on in the lot.

K
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - Feb 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #1311
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

....
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #1312
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

...
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #1313
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

...
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #1314
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
There is at least one more here:

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/Assembly%20Line.htm

It still looks like that. They are building Heavy Duty Silverado and Sierra pickups there now. The plant is bordered by I-75 to the west and I-69 to the north, so when exiting the freeway you get a good elevated view of what's going on in the lot.

K
Thanks for the info!

Would really like to locate more ‘vintage’ pics of the flint plant/lots.
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:54 PM   #1315
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Name:  56540AD6-44C5-4CF0-B31D-FC3BD8F97F90.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  61.5 KB
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:06 AM   #1316
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

....
Attached Images
   
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 AM   #1317
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

....
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 AM   #1318
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

...
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #1319
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Name:  D486CB88-7E9D-42CD-9584-000831273D34.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  99.4 KB
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #1320
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

///
Attached Images
 
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #1321
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

...
Attached Images
  
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #1322
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Name:  0EE67326-42B5-4A71-A2C5-ED6364033357.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  48.8 KB
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #1323
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

.......
Attached Images
    
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #1324
SKT
Registered User
 
SKT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location:
Posts: 4,604
Re: Vintage picture thread

Name:  B2080086-F773-4E6F-85E4-4318A05ED5BC.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  81.6 KB
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:02 AM   #1325
Wikid61
Registered User
 
Wikid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anamosa iowa
Posts: 1,248
Re: Vintage picture thread

...
Attached Images
  
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com