The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Terrick down Under

Thought I would have a go!

So I have been looking at the led bars to go behind the grill.
Last week I bought one, but it was too thick to do the dually, so I turned my attention to the daily work truck, "Lil".
Got up this morning, fathers day here, and decided to rip the grill out and have a go.
This is the 32" 1080 watts just checking it would fit in the grill.
Name:  IMG_6881.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  50.7 KB
SO I pulled the grill out, found centre on the body and the light.
Name:  IMG_6882.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  64.6 KB
The old 22" is still there just because I can't get under the truck at the moment to remove it.
Terrick down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
Terrick down Under

Re: Thought I would have a go!

I measured and marked where the centre support would interfere and removed some of the cooling fins. You can just see the marking out for the right side that has to be cut.
Name:  IMG_6883.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  75.0 KB
You are not imagining things, the ac core is bent after we hit a 6' roo a while ago.
Then mounted the end brackets to the light and hung the light from the grille shell, had to notch a small section of 3/8" x 1/2" for the bracket to fit.

Name:  IMG_6884.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  58.2 KB
You can just see the top of the mounting bolts in this pic, right on the line where the chrome finishes.

Last edited by Terrick down Under; 09-03-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
Terrick down Under

I had to cut the back of the right hand side of the light to clear the tranny cooler, sorry forgot to take a pic. Same as the others have done on here.
Name:  IMG_6886.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  58.2 KB

Just checking that the hood still clears the mounting bolts.
Name:  IMG_6887.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  56.4 KB
I am going to try and make my own phantom grille to cover the main light and bars as well.
Following the advice form the others who have done this, it took me about 2 hours total.
Just have to lift the truck and remove the old bar, that will have a new home on the 72" mower or the skid steer.

I have got a 55mm thick bar with the same wattage just yesterday, so it will be going into the dually, because it has the electric fan in front of the ac cooler. I hope to make it so that the grille is not cut out.

There you go "mingoman", complete with a couple of pics
Old 09-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
mingoman

Awesome write up Terrick! 6' roo? When we hit a deer around here we skin and eat it. Not sure what a kangaroo tastes like.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
Terrick down Under

All done for now.
Name:  IMG_6907.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  70.2 KB
There you go, I found a couple of phantom inserts up the back, so I did a bush install. It will do, until I have saved enough money to buy a complete phantom set that covers the head lights as well.
The Roo's around here are becoming a pest and dangerous to kids. They have been breading faster than rabbits because of the good season, but now we have had a dry winter they are competing with stock for feed. They will bound along side of your car at 40mph and all of a sudden turn into your vehicle and make a big mess.
BTW, Roo is very lean meat, when we make sausages with them we put a handful of pig fat the make them cook better. Slow cooking is the best way to do Roo steaks, or they make a really good stew cooked over a whole day.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
LT7A

That's a tidy installation. Have you noticed a difference in the operating temperature with blocking part of the grill (and adding a small heat source)? Couldn't help but be curious about that.

In the late 70s (maybe early 80s?) Jack in the Box restaurant chain in the US was importing much of their beef from Australia and kangaroo meat was getting mixed in so there was a big scandal. Probably was healthier but you can't serve people roo meat without telling them.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
Terrick down Under

LT7A, I have a 56mm thick radiator and so far it hasn't changed the running temp.
And yes, it is lean meat, but you are 100% correct that you must tell people what they are eating.....it just leaves a bad taste in their mouth...LOL
Old 09-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrick down Under View Post
LT7A, I have a 56mm thick radiator and so far it hasn't changed the running temp.
And yes, it is lean meat, but you are 100% correct that you must tell people what they are eating.....it just leaves a bad taste in their mouth...LOL
Hahaha, well played. I hope to visit Australia and try kangaroo meat when I'm there. I could use a little more spring in my step...

Ok, your joke was better. Is it served ground up, or in steaks, or both? I feel like a bad person contemplating this since kangaroos have been like mythical creatures since my childhood. They tend to be portrayed here as cute and nearly cuddly. Not so when they are 40 mph 6 footers and take a hard right into your travel lane.

Good to hear with your operating temps. Can we see it in the dark from the cab, see the output?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
Terrick down Under

Name:  IMG_6973.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6974.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6975.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  19.1 KB
Hey, these aren't the best pics.
I can actually see about 250 yards further than these pics show. I will try and get a couple on the highway to show you. I really like it.