The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
jcwren

Bed color suggestions to go with medium bronze paint?

I'm getting ready to order a Brothers deluxe oak bed kit for my '70 C10 stepside longbed, which requires staining and sealing. I'm not terribly color coordinated, and I'm looking for ideas on what color stain would go nicely with the medium bronze paint color.

Should I go with something that's closer to matching the paint, or something more contrasty? I know colors and such are all a matter of opinion, but as I say, I don't have an eye for color. I know what I like and don't like when I see it, but I can't put two colors up in my mind's eye and say "yeah, that'll look good!".

If you've got medium bronze paint or something close, pictures would be welcome.

(Hopefully I'll have this thing on the road by the end of January. She (and she needs a name) is about 3 days away from running again, and I need to put in the bed kit, install the rear wiring harness, whatever exhaust I go with after the headers, and new tires).

Link to album of pictures.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Bed color suggestions to go with medium bronze paint?

Maychy would work, but the truck has little contrast to the paint color. White on the wheels, but that's no good for the bed. Any natural wood color in the realm of brown will go with the paint and nothing else there to compete. I think I'd go with a non-match, either clear and natural (lighter than paint) or something like the fake woodgrain used on these trucks (darker, like walnut stain). What I think would go best with the restored stock look would be thinned out medium bronze applied as a stain. Kind of like original being matching, yet allow grain detail of stain

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
CC69Rat

I would do a light colored wood. Oak with no stain probably. Just several coats of Spar and let the beauty of the wood come through. The Spar will make the wood grain have light and darker wood color range to it.

If not lighter I'd go really dark, maybe a walnut stain. Just saying with that color you could do either and it would look awesome. Me.. I think light.

Here's an old 68 I did. I know it's not Bronze but it's a deep gold .. similar color family.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
jcwren

Thanks! I think I like the idea of the lighter over the darker colors. I might also try a couple different samples on the bottom side of the wood as test colors.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
jocko

Dare to be Different!! paint it up with the medium bronze just like the factory did - that’s something you never see on rebuilds/restos anymore.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
sick472

I really like the idea of using the bronze colored paint thinned down to make a stain. It would blend and POP at the same time. I would hesitate to do that with a primary or secondary color, but with earthy tones...it would be in my best taste.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote