The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #1
Mindl3ss

Frame twist

After removing my bed I'm thinking my frame is a bit twisted. Looks to be about 1-1.5" lower on one side than the other, only in the rear. No buckling that I can see.

So I dropped by a frame and suspension shop to ask a few questions, but the answers didn't seem to make much sense.

Does the body/bed have to be on the frame? They said yes as they won't be able to make everything line up without it.

I figured if it's a simple twist (which I can't guarantee, but it appears to be) they could just use the factory manual spec and untwist it.

Second question, which I didn't ask because I know their answer, is it possible to untwist the frame at home? Any possibilities? I figure it would be worth the $300-400 to have it done, but considering the body isn't straight to begin with it doesn't make much sense to make it line up with the body. And I am a ways off putting it back together anyway.
2015 Colorado Z71
Mindl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Frame twist

I would leave it to a pro so its done right.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
dougf

What body issues do you have and what's your plan for future work? I ask this because if you have rusted cab supports and smashed cab and radiator support bushings it's not the best idea to have a shop basically align the body by twisting frame. I would make sure my cab supports and rad support isn't rusted, replace the bushings, then pay the pros to make it happen. I wouldn't personally mess with it. I'm only 33 but I've learned over the years sometimes you just have to buy new and pay the professionals, sometimes it's worth it.
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Mindl3ss

The frame seems solid, just a slight twist. Nothing rotted or rusted through.

There's plenty of body work to be done.

It seems absurd that the body must be on the frame when the body just sits on the frame and the measurements from the frame to the ground are standard.

I agree to let pros handle things, I also agree that sometimes pros won't give straight answers to some random person. Seems like they're over complicating it.
2015 Colorado Z71
Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindl3ss View Post
The frame seems solid, just a slight twist. Nothing rotted or rusted through.

There's plenty of body work to be done.

It seems absurd that the body must be on the frame when the body just sits on the frame and the measurements from the frame to the ground are standard.

I agree to let pros handle things, I also agree that sometimes pros won't give straight answers to some random person. Seems like they're over complicating it.
Agree.

Is the frame on a surface plate, or sitting on the suspension and wheels? It the latter, then just shim the suspension to square it back up.

The body doesn't provide any structure to a pickup, because the cab and box are separate. Not like a passenger car, where you gain some torsional rigidity from the body. It's very apparent if you ever have to opportunity to see a loose pickup frame vs a loose passenger car frame.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Mindl3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Agree.

Is the frame on a surface plate, or sitting on the suspension and wheels? It the latter, then just shim the suspension to square it back up.

The body doesn't provide any structure to a pickup, because the cab and box are separate. Not like a passenger car, where you gain some torsional rigidity from the body. It's very apparent if you ever have to opportunity to see a loose pickup frame vs a loose passenger car frame.

K
It's on the suspension right now. I'm going to put it on jack stands and remove all the suspension so I can have it blasted and paint it.

I've heard that the suspension could just be collapsed on one side, so I figure once I get it on the stands and leveled I'll know for sure.

This image makes it seem like it would be pretty straight forward to measure and square everything up. Maybe on a plate where I can secure it and use a press or something.

2015 Colorado Z71
Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

To clarify, you aren't concerned that the frame is twisting under accel, just that at some point a situation occurred that twisted it? It didn't seem like we were talking about a 950hp front-end lifter, but wasn't sure haha.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
Mindl3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
To clarify, you aren't concerned that the frame is twisting under accel, just that at some point a situation occurred that twisted it? It didn't seem like we were talking about a 950hp front-end lifter, but wasn't sure haha.
Yep, not there yet I don't even have an engine for it at this point, haha.

Seems like it was hit on the rear passenger corner at one point.
2015 Colorado Z71
Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
BC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindl3ss View Post
It's on the suspension right now. I'm going to put it on jack stands and remove all the suspension so I can have it blasted and paint it.

I've heard that the suspension could just be collapsed on one side, so I figure once I get it on the stands and leveled I'll know for sure.

This image makes it seem like it would be pretty straight forward to measure and square everything up. Maybe on a plate where I can secure it and use a press or something.

Is it just me, or is the second to the last cross bar sill on the right, look a little slanted in the above view on the diagram?
BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC10 View Post
Is it just me, or is the second to the last cross bar sill on the right, look a little slanted in the above view on the diagram?
It is. And it is on our trucks too. At least on mine. I thought something was wrong till I also saw it on other trucks in pictures of frames and things line up fine for track bar bracket etc.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

It is on my '66. I stared at it with a beer in my hand for a good half an hour before we found our old service diagrams and sure enough, its like that in the factory print.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
franken

If the body isn't on the frame when the frame is straightened the cab/bed will still be tweaked and may not fit when you go to put it back on.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
If the body isn't on the frame when the frame is straightened the cab/bed will still be tweaked and may not fit when you go to put it back on.
I think thats gonna depend on how long the body sat on a bent frame, and if the body itself sagged as a result. If you adjust your doors with a busted cab mount, they don't close right when you put a new one in....but all you have to do is readjust it.

If the cab supports themselves didn't rip/sag/rust/bow, then it should still be able to fit back on. He could go buy a brand new built chassis and toss his cab on, either way the panels will have to be refit, and the cab supports may/may not need to be shimmed.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Yes, that cross member that is at an angle is to help prevent "racking" of the frame. GM engineers were smart cookies.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
Mindl3ss

Well, as of this afternoon the twisted frame won't be my problem anyway. Truck sold and will be towed away this afternoon/evening.

Sad to see it go, but happy to have it out of the way.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
2015 Colorado Z71
Old 05-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I think thats gonna depend on how long the body sat on a bent frame, and if the body itself sagged as a result. If you adjust your doors with a busted cab mount, they don't close right when you put a new one in....but all you have to do is readjust it.

If the cab supports themselves didn't rip/sag/rust/bow, then it should still be able to fit back on. He could go buy a brand new built chassis and toss his cab on, either way the panels will have to be refit, and the cab supports may/may not need to be shimmed.
Think about it this way, the cab is basically a box. Go get a cardboard box and crush it diagonally. Now bend it back and try to make it stay square.
SOP at a bodyshop is to pull the frame with as much on the vehicle undisturbed as possible. This way the parts attached to the frame get bent back where they belong.

So the OP sold the truck because the frame might be twisted? Seems harsh.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Mindl3ss

Quote:
Think about it this way, the cab is basically a box. Go get a cardboard box and crush it diagonally. Now bend it back and try to make it stay square.
SOP at a bodyshop is to pull the frame with as much on the vehicle undisturbed as possible. This way the parts attached to the frame get bent back where they belong.

Nah, sold it because I'm likely moving and it would be in storage for 4+ years, along with the cost to move it to my new location. Add that on top of all the work that needs done and I figured it was best to sell it and find something more suited to my own talents (not cosmetics) when I settle down.
2015 Colorado Z71
Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 AM   #18
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:

I understand what your saying, but since I'm not a collision guy, I can only come at it from a builders perspective. If you dropped off an alston chassis and some donor cab, I'm not gonna ask to see the old frame....

If the cab had sagged so much that it couldn't be put on a rottiserie or something, then it was a lost cause WAY before we ever started.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
simenad

Could be it is just sitting higher on one side and if it is not suspension caused it could be that it was overloaded at one point and could be corrected by unriveting the cross members to let the frame drop back into position and then reattaching or replacing the crossmembers. Good time to install a rear gas tank too while the rear crossmember is out
simenad is offline   Reply With Quote