The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Site Feedback and Announcements

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
cericd

Correct Image Rotation

Due to the prevalence of the iPhone and it's use as camera, this and every other vBulletin based forum are being inundated with sideways or upside-down images. I'm not going to go into great detail as to the exact cause of the issue but I will say that I have seen users on this forum complain that the owners or moderators of this site should do something to fix the issue. Trust me, it's out of their hands. It's an iPhone/vBulletin issue. Others just grin and bear it and crane their necks to look at someone's sideways photos.

Fortunately there is a simple remedy (at least for those of us who will continue to use our iPhones as a camera. If you want your pictures to upload with the correct orientation the first time, every time, follow the instructions in the image below. (This only works for photos you are about to take not photos that have already been taken.)
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 07-25-2017 at 11:18 AM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
cericd

Re: Correct Image Rotation

So, what about photos that you have already taken while holding the phone "improperly"? Well, you will have to find a piece of software to correct the problem. Unfortunately, this won't be as easy since your phone and likely the image viewer on your computer tend to make the image appear to be right-side-up to begin with.

If you are interested in learning how to correct the problem images in your photo library or why this happens in the first place, here's a link that will help https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/.

If you're not interested, then please at least hold your phone as specified in the image above for the sake of our forum and all of our necks.

Thanks

Again, this is not an issue with this forum specifically. Apple blames vBulletin and vBulletin blames Apple so it's up to us to keep things straight around here (so to speak).

Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

This is a very helpful tip I hope all get to read. But I doubt it since many have their blinders on to all the forums. I have another tip below.

I don't even have an i-phone but I keep reading members advise those with this problem to switch their phone to "home" setting (?) and it won't happen. It appears to be the users not knowing their phones being the problem. A camera user should have the option of how they want to frame a picture...vertically or horizontally to get the results they want. That's how a real camera works and always have. You have a group photo of your family you don't want to have people making a pyramid to get all in it. If you're taking a picture of Uncle Melvin in a crowd you just want Uncle Melvin, not the whole crowd

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
cericd

I hear ya Tim.

One of the problems is that the iphone, and other devices like it are not "real cameras" but they're just so darned convenient so they get used as such. The main problem is that the iphone and vBulletin forums don't play well together and people who post images that are sideways or upside down generally can't be bothered to correct the issue themselves. I personally couldn't stand to post sideways or upside down photos. I'd actually remove those photos from my post if I couldn't figure out how to correct the problem.

Regarding the "Uncle Melvin" issue. People can still take vertically oriented photos on their iphones, they'll just have to learn to use an external piece of software to correct the orientation prior to uploading them to the forum. That brings us back to the "can't be bothered" issue. That's why I made the simple graphic in my original post. If people follow that graphic, their photos will always post properly and they won't have to learn how to use any new software.

I originally created this thread as something anyone could link back to as an example in someone else's thread which contained rotated images and I did that for a while but no one seemed to care. It seems most people are content to crane their necks or correct the images for others. Oh well.

Last edited by cericd; 09-08-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I use a digital camera and a laptop. The other day I posted 5 pictures in a post, all were upright in my folder, and one posted sideways. It has nothing to do with smart phones. I think it's that doggone Windows10 trying to be more helpful than needed. What they consider a new convenience feature I consider a PIA. Leave me alone, I can do this!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
cericd

Ha! Hey Tim, your particular instance had nothing to do with "smart phones" but every time I have responded to someone on this forum with a rotated picture problem they have been using their iphone or even their ipad to take the offending images. I don't mind devices being "smart" but we as users end up having to be smarter when our smart devices don't play well together.