The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Houston Ben

Can't coneect to ECM??

Hi all,
With schooling out of the way I decided to try and config my 6L80 to the specs found in the THE TUNNING SCHOOL TRANSMISSON GUIDE. I successfully uploaded the file and it was running fine and I was logging. I stopped logging and not I can't connect to the ECM and my transmission is acting up making it slip. When I uploaded the tune for the transmission, I skipped the upload for the engine as I did not need it.

When I try to log a tune through the VCM scanner I get this ERROR:

"Unable to detect vehicles diagnostic protocol.

It's possible that this vehicle isn't supported yet by VCM Scanner. E-mail support@hptuners.com so that we may add it.

Another possibility is that all controllers (VCM's) in the vehicle are not responding for various reasons."

Anyone know what I can do to correct this? I have removed the power from the battery, I have unplugged the ECM, I have unplugged HP tool and tried again, no luck on any of it. The HP tool is getting power and will occasionally blink that it is busy.

Thanks for any help

Ben

Last edited by Houston Ben; 10-22-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Houston Ben

Re: Can't coneect to ECM??

Sent email to "The Tuning School" and HP tuners, we will see what they say. No one has had this happen before????

EDIT: My Scan Gauge II will not connect now either.....

Last edited by Houston Ben; 10-23-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Did you turn off the truck before the log was finished or while any of the ECM Scanner equipment was connecting/reading the ECM?
Please tell me no.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
Houston Ben

Hi Br3w,
I came to a stop on a pave road in a construction area so as not to disturb anyone. I did have the VCM scanner running or on, but I do not remember if I had the VCM editor open as well. BUT....I did turn the truck off while the scanner was open, but not logging. What will this do? Did I fry the ECM/TCM??
Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
Custom 68

Make sure you don't have the scanner running. If it is you can't connect the HPTuners editor part. The scanner must be off. I have turned the truck off mulitple times with the scanner running and never hurt anything. I doubt you hurt the ECM.
But that said yes I had that happen, never resolved it I just assumed the ECM had gone bad. This was for my buddy he ended up getting the Fitech LS controller and things are now working and running good.
good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Shutting down with the log on is ok, itll just show everything go to 0 if you read the log. Occasionally it may result in a corrupt log, but thats if there were a sudden power shutdown like a short.

If you shut down the truck while flashing or write-all on an ECM, it'll be a high brick chance, or result in a corrupt write that can't be easily overwritten. If you shut down while live tuning (if that option is available to you), it'll brick.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Houston Ben

Custom 68, I shut everything down, restarted computer, nada....

Brew, thanks for responding again. I did not shut down during flash/writing, but I think I still had the editor tool open. It is just weird. I email HP Tuners and they needed copies of my tune, log, and another thing so we will see what they say. I hope this is an easy fix or fixable.

If I have to buy a new ECU can I just load my tune onto it or is it more complicated than that??
Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Houston Ben

After a number of emails with HP tuner they decided the computer cannot connect to the ECM for unknown reason. They believe there is a bad connection somewhere so I am going to have to start looking. I know the OBDII has 12V, the ECM fuses are good and have 12v, and the truck starts. I will have to disconnect the transmission and ensure it is receiving power.

I do not know where to go from here.

Ben
Old 10-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Custom 68

Ben, that is a strange story because I just went thru the exact thing with my buddies computer. He had this computer and wiring in a 68 Camaro that was fairly short lived due to an engine issue. While it was running we were working on tuning it so I had it hooked up logging and writing to this numerous times. When the engine went south we pulled the harness and computer along with all the top end stuff. He stored this in his shop for a couple years. He built a 6.0 liter and hooked it all back up. It immediately started and he could back his car in and out of the shop during the final body work. I went to hook up the computer to tune it for the new motor and it would not hook up to scan or download the tune and nothing.
I had the same errors you did. We traced wires and did everything we could to get it to communicate all the while it started and ran like it was perfect. After talking to HP tuners I made a test harness that required 4 wires to the blue connector and still would not connect. He gave up and bought the new FiTech and is very happy with that purchase.
We have the computer and it was still running however it just would not let us communicate.
good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 11-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
Houston Ben

PROBLEM SOLVED Can't connect to ECM??

Finally got another chance to work on the truck again to try and figure out what was going on. After several attempts, I was able to connect to the ECM and write to it, but not to the transmission. After unplugging and plugging in connectors to no avail I decided to check the transmission plug. Plug was loose and pulled right out. I reconnected plug and started my truck and my ScanGuage II started working again so I hooked up my HP tuners and was able to write both ECM and TCM. Took truck for a spin and all is working!!!!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Custom 68

Wow Ben that is great. I couldn't ever get mine to talk.
Happy tuning!
Dave