The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #1176
RINC

Re: How about some pics of your 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Here is rim too, should be nice with the width.
/Drool !

I was eyeballing those rims. I may go an keep the white spokes. I'll know better after I clean them up.

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #1177
mud.man.rj

Well the tires cost a bit more usually than one wants to spend but the rims really make the difference and not expensive for a rim compared to almost all rims, cheap enough to abuse a lot, haha.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #1178
watahyahknow

i seen them use militairy hummer rims for them too

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #1179
special-K
Special Order

I dig that chrome step bumper. If you ever decide to sell... The only thing I'd like better is a chrome factory '72 step bumper. Everyone says white spokes suck,and I was about the first to decide many years ago. Then it was Outlaws,then it was...Yeah,we get tired of looking at the same wheel all over the place. But white spokes are not that common,are period correct for your truck,and a the other period wide wheels are 16.5 and kinda hard to find. When I put the 6" lift on the Highlander I owned I chose white spokes. They were the cheapest wheels which allowed more for better tires,and the truck was all original/unrestored so I wanted it to look like it had always been that way when I was done. What's the point of putting expensive flashy wheels on a truck with 40 year old paint,small dents,and dull dinged up trim? I think they made it look better than most any other wheel out there. They nailed the look I was after:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #1180
RINC

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I dig that chrome step bumper. If you ever decide to sell... The only thing I'd like better is a chrome factory '72 step bumper. Everyone says white spokes suck,and I was about the first to decide many years ago. Then it was Outlaws,then it was...Yeah,we get tired of looking at the same wheel all over the place. But white spokes are not that common,are period correct for your truck,and a the other period wide wheels are 16.5 and kinda hard to find. When I put the 6" lift on the Highlander I owned I chose white spokes. They were the cheapest wheels which allowed more for better tires,and the truck was all original/unrestored so I wanted it to look like it had always been that way when I was done. What's the point of putting expensive flashy wheels on a truck with 40 year old paint,small dents,and dull dinged up trim? I think they made it look better than most any other wheel out there. They nailed the look I was after:
Your Highlander is 50% if the reason I thinking of keeping the white spokes. The other 50% is cost .... haha. Less spent on rims the more tyre I can afford.

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #1181
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I still like them.I am getting real tired of 25" wheels and rubber band tires, They all look the same!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #1182
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
I still like them.I am getting real tired of 25" wheels and rubber band tires, They all look the same!
Yeah,even rusty and greasy white spokes look better than any of that crap if you ask me...especially on a 4wd. Putting those wheels on a 4wd is like putting a high horsepower engine in,then using 1" exhaust.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #1183
mud.man.rj

White spokes do still look good, especially when white on the truck, but nice rims (not 20's and up on a 4x4) make the eye notice the rims and not the small dents and not so great of paint on truck, haha.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #1184
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
I really like those tan softoppers!
Oh, it sounds like you have a rod knocking or something
I forgot to put oil back in it when I changed it . Actually,that's the sound of a vehicle with highly respectable off road ability that can cruise all day at 75-80 MPH using half as much fuel as a gas motor. And,notice it's pretty quite inside . I showed a clip just so folks can hear it. You can look at it all day long and hear me tell you it's a diesel. But,that's just info and it looks like any other K/5. These things are the bee's knees and in their own class. It's a vehicle with classic style from over 1/4 century ago you can put big tires and low gears under and be right for the current need for low fuel demand. There were never a whole lot out there and to have one today is ideal.

I had a guy the other day say,"That's a military one,right?"

I said,"No,it's better". This one has carpet & sound deadening,not a bare metal floor. It has A/C,AM/FM/Cassette stereo*,console,tilt wheel*,intermittent wipers*,gauges,O/D,and even power windows. Even better,now it has 12.50/35 mud tires that work great on the road (Goodyear MT/Rs),3/4t axles,rear locker,and 4.10 gears. It's a base model with a few options. It was ordered by a county parks dept. For some reason they didn't take it and a local farmer bought it and that's who I got it from.

*Ok,I added these things.
Attached Images

Tim

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #1185
fun in dirt

I'm diggin that Jimmy. We recently acquired a M1031...it's our first real dealings with a diesel. Can't wait to get it back on the road & take advantage of the good MPGs while still rollin on 37" tires (some guys say they are getting 20+mpg).
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1186
brandon283

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i dont think you tried hard enough , now if you where stuck and had her atach the line to the bumper ..................basicly you only should be able to recocnise the colour of her eyes
HAHA! yeah exactly! i would have enjoyed more mud, but it was a casual drive haha. shes a great girl, she did a lot of work on the truck too. real work not just pass a wrench and hold the light stuff lol. very nice trucks guys! i love seeing what everyone else builds
brandon283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #1187
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
I'm diggin that Jimmy. We recently acquired a M1031...it's our first real dealings with a diesel. Can't wait to get it back on the road & take advantage of the good MPGs while still rollin on 37" tires (some guys say they are getting 20+mpg).
I know my '91 Suburban got 22 mpg on a trip to Charlotte running along at 75 mph all day. It's axles and tires are on the Jimmy now,so should be the same. It's just so cool running the hiway with these. They run like a generator,like it loves running all day at a good clip.They are real easy to keep on a steady rpm. Then,turn off road and the torque is right there. It makes the power. Screw HP,it's torque that a 4wd needs.I have a 6.5TD truck and this NA has instant power from a start. It feels like a way higher HP gas motor.
Attached Images

Tim

Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #1188
watahyahknow

i like diesel as whell you can get tons of power out of them if you add a bigger turbo and rework the pump filling the interiour of the car next to you with black smoke out of the sidepipe never gets dull (did you seen his face?)
the chevy 6,5 diesels are based on eeeeeeh i believe it was a buick gasoline block converted to diesel and they dont have the best name in reliabillity
as long as you do the maintenance on them they run forever in stock form
one of the problems they seem to have is not being able to deal with air in the fuel line , some of the guys solved it by adding a inline electric fuelpump to push the feul against the actual pump under a bit more pressuren sumtimes just when their's air in the line other times running non stop as soon as the key is turned
i personally like the dodge / cummins diesels for american trucks and mercedes or isuzu for the other types

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #1189
special-K
Special Order

The 5.7 GM diesel that came out in '78 when Ford & Dodge didn't offer a diesel was built off an Olds 350 block. Their problem,other than not much power,was a plastic sump pick up screen that would clog. A diesel truck guy I knew that was into then just pulled the pan and broke the stupid thing off and he got all kinds of miles from them.
The 6.2,then the 6.5,are both the same design built by Detroit Allison and was never a gas motor,designed as a diesel. The bore is the difference in displacement. They were first offered in '82 and in late-92 the 6.5TD came out only in regular cab heavy 2500s,3500s,and the new 3500HDs. Starting in '93 they were available in Blazer/Jimmys,Suburbans,1500,and all body styles except regular cab short beds.

Tim

Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #1190
jgammill

mine loaded up to go on its first wheeling trip.

4 linked rear on coil springs worked awsome.

jgammill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #1191
special-K
Special Order

Nice! I love that thing

Tim

Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #1192
freakshow108

99% done!
Attached Images

freakshow108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #1193
muddstir

Here is my 70. I want to lift the front about 1in higher and get some 35in tires and new wheels. Then I want to get a cowl hood and a visor, fix body work and repaint.
Name:  Copy of DSCF0313.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  Copy of DSCF0337.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  41.3 KB
1997 chevy cavalier =daily driver
1998 chevy cavalier -full coverage plan
2007 kawasaki vulcan 900 - garage ornament
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #1194
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Here's a picture of my 67' taken today by my wife. First date was in this truck, and just finished putting the motor back together last night and we took our 2nd drive in it today now a few years later. Even tho she's 8.5 months pregnant with our first child, she still jumped up in the newly lifted pickup and went to see our pigs in it with me. When the clutch linkage broke halfway down the dirt road and it got stuck in reverse, she started laughing...I had to back it up to the house and fix it real quick...she's a good sport, and the truck ran great for not being driven in a couple of years.

Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #1195
watahyahknow

it still misses sumting around the grille area

Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #1196
Mr-Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
it still misses sumting around the grille area
????
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1197
watahyahknow

sumtin like a badge or a chrome trim its just a bit bare

Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #1198
Mr-Jack

I thought that's what you were getting at. The grille has GMC in it, I didn't want the badges on the hood or sides. I'll probably end up painting the truck and accenting the GMC in the grille somehow to make it stand out a bit
Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #1199
HeavyC

Here's my 83 K10 Shortbox wth some updates....
Attached Images

HeavyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #1200
wayne4252004

Here is a picture of my 4x4.
Attached Images

wayne4252004 is offline   Reply With Quote