The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
ndeep

door latches

i need to replace the door latches on my 55.2 project truck. i know the bearclaw type would be better but are they worth the price difference? 100.00 for repop oe's and pushing 400.00 for bearclaws.thanks in advance for your input
ndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
FiftyTwo

Re: door latches

Here's my take on this. Most people modify their trucks (including me) to make them go faster and handle better than they were ever originally designed to do. When I'm flying down the freeway at 70 mph and around clover leafs at 50 mph, I feel better knowing my bear claw latches are holding my doors closed tight. I have the Altmans, best money I spent on my truck.
FiftyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
msaintg

and to add, the repop 'original' style latches are crap. I tried the repop latches and could not get them to work at all, so I went the altman latches as well. totally agree.... peace of mind knowing they are latched. Only downside is now you cant lock your doors anymore without some significant modifications.
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaintg View Post
Only downside is now you cant lock your doors anymore without some significant modifications.
Really?? How significant?
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Speedbumpauto

Plenty of work! I fabbed a system that works mechanically and with electricity(FOB) but the adjustment is very touchy and I've never been totally happy with it and there is no way to incorporate it with the exterior key on the handle so you end up with two completely independent systems. If the battery fails in the lock position, the key will not get you in the truck. Seems someone on here went a slightly different route and might have had better results.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Yes its an issue they need to overcome. Nice latches but the inability to lock the truck from inside is a problem. Someone here from Sweden or Europe did make up a locking linkage for them but I never saw where it was finished or if it worked. I think you can only use power locks now.

This is the tread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=520589.

Last edited by dwcsr; 01-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
MARTINSR

I agree, the original door latches are very funky, borderline junk in design. I personally am using them because they are part of the theme of the truck, but I do have NOS ones so it will be as good as it gets.
When I had another theme in mind for the truck they were getting upgraded and here is a little info on them, Jeep Wrangler, they are "bear claw" but with a locking mechanism!
You see the Bear claws you see for sale in the street rod community come from motorhomes and commercial vans where that latch is bolted to a door handle that has the lock, this is why they don't.

The Wrangler latch may not be available from Jeep anymore, I don't know, I bought mine 20 years ago.

Click on the link below.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/forg...nt-153142.html

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I agree, the original door latches are very funky, borderline junk in design. I personally am using them because they are part of the theme of the truck, but I do have NOS ones so it will be as good as it gets.
When I had another theme in mind for the truck they were getting upgraded and here is a little info on them, Jeep Wrangler, they are "bear claw" but with a locking mechanism!
You see the Bear claws you see for sale in the street rod community come from motorhomes and commercial vans where that latch is bolted to a door handle that has the lock, this is why they don't.

The Wrangler latch may not be available from Jeep anymore, I don't know, I bought mine 20 years ago.

Click on the link below.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/forg...nt-153142.html

Brian
They are available at $99 each.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyTwo View Post
Here's my take on this. Most people modify their trucks (including me) to make them go faster and handle better than they were ever originally designed to do. When I'm flying down the freeway at 70 mph and around clover leafs at 50 mph, I feel better knowing my bear claw latches are holding my doors closed tight. I have the Altmans, best money I spent on my truck.
This is how I feel too. I bought them, haven't installed them yet as my truck is in paint jail.

I'm from the era when there are MANY stories about the doors coming open and stuff falling out. I've never yet heard of a tragic outcome but I know there had to be many.

You wouldn't dramatically improve the performance and NOT add disc brakes, would you? Or dual master cylinder reservoirs? Yeah, I know some would but if there are safer alternatives - especially for my loved ones (and me!) I'm taking them.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
_Ogre

i have one of the heaviest modified trucks on this forum and went with stock repop latches
i will say that in 25,000 miles i have never had a door latch open
old worn out latches do open by themselves, more like they don't latch correctly

if you go with bear claw latches plan on a lot of work to get them installed
there are no instructions or templates for installing bear claw latches
if you go the altman route, be prepared to spend the money

my exterior door handle have been shaved; i use a solenoid and remote to open the stock latches
stock latches bolted right in without a problem

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
Hampshire

When changing to Altman EZ latches, can you install an exterior lock/cylinder on the driver door like the passenger door has?
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #12
shrek55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
When changing to Altman EZ latches, can you install an exterior lock/cylinder on the driver door like the passenger door has?
Yes
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
ndeep

thanks for all of your replys. i will order the altmans. probably would have anyway, just hoping someone had a better cheaper idea
ndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #14
capnduane

I chose to refurb/rebuild the stock door hardware on my '55 2nd pickup. The drivers side door latch assembly was worn out. I bought a new repro part, and then adjusted the door pillar striker assembly. The right side door hardware was usable and works fine after adjusting striker. I installed a new lock assembly on the drivers side, and new exterior handles on both sides. I added scratch guards also. I can lock both doors from the inside, and when exiting truck, I lean over and lock right side, and then lock drivers side using the key. Everything looks stock, works great, and the doors latch with that nice "snick" when I close them. No more slamming! And best of all I got to remove the hokey barrel bolts the PO had been using for door latches! I spent about $140 for everything.
Attached Images