The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
58SkuzBukit

Saving column and steering box whist cutting?

I'm working the mock up of an IFS in my 58. I plan on using the current column with column shifter, but a forum member is interested in the box. All instruction I've read says to cut the column as close to the box as possible.

Am I able to save both?
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Saving column and steering box whist cutting?

I'm confused, just remove the box and column as one. Buy your AM column and install it mocking it up where you want it before the final mounting.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58SkuzBukit View Post
I'm working the mock up of an IFS in my 58. I plan on using the current column with column shifter, but a forum member is interested in the box. All instruction I've read says to cut the column as close to the box as possible.

Am I able to save both?
If you cut the column to use in your truck you won't be able to use it in his, The steering shaft with part of the steering gear is one piece top to bottom. so if you cut it he ends up with a short stub that may not be usable, you would have to cut it about 6" up so he could reweld it to his shaft.

Short answer, probably not
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
58SkuzBukit

That's kinda what I figured. There's not much real estate on the column to work with, seems to be one or the other, but not both.

We're both kinda on a budget, I was tryin to help a brother out.
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I'm confused, just remove the box and column as one. Buy your AM column and install it mocking it up where you want it before the final mounting.

Brian
His plan was to USE the STOCK Column , but he was hoping to be able to cut the column off , so the box could be salvaged as well (i am the one interested in the box if its salvageable) , since i will be replacing my column with a tilt unit , but my box is shot , we were hoping to be able to get me a good usable box and him his usable column out of the cutting , its not looking good from what i am reading ...
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #6
mr48chev

Why not swap columns with him then? If his column tube and the shaft are usable and he needs the whole column and box out of yours that seems like one way to do it. If he's close enough to make the swap work that is. I'm not sure if you can pull the tubes off easily to save the tube that came out of your truck with the shift linkage but that might work too. Then you can cut your tube and his old shaft to fit.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
JimDirt

The shift linkage is gone from my column , its missing parts , as well as the box is bad , there is not much salvageable from mine
Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
67GMCkid

If I'm following this correctly?,

58Skuz wants to use his original column, you will need a your steering shaft and a D coupler to connect to your new box or rack..

JDirt wants to go to an aftermarket column, you will also need to use a D coupler and a section of your old steering shaft, and maybe a section of over the counter D shaft/rod

If Both of you guys get together on a common measurement you can both cut the steering rods ,
and 58skuz then can send the box to Jdirt.

Last edited by 67GMCkid; 01-14-2016 at 06:14 AM.
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
JimDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GMCkid View Post
If I'm following this correctly?,

58Skuz wants to use his original column, you will need a your steering shaft and a D coupler to connect to your new box or rack..

JDirt wants to go to an aftermarket column, you will also need to use a D coupler and a section of your old steering shaft, and maybe a section of over the counter D shaft/rod

If Both of you guys get together on a common measurement you can both cut the steering rods ,
and 58skuz then can send the box to Jdirt.
From what 58SkuzBukit has read , he needs to cut the shaft just below the shifter on the column , this will leave 1 1/2" of total shaft beyond the shifter , which he was told he needs at least 1" to attach his DD U-Joint so it will work on his project , this leaves 1/2" of shaft left on the box end of the shaft , i do not plan on re-using my column in the truck , as i am going aftermarket or Chevy Van , depending on what i find for the better price , and my box is shot , so i need a good working non sloppy box , which he has , so we are trying to figure out if this "swap" is possible , giving both of us what we need , or will the length left where he has to cut his column to make the column work for his project , render the box end of the shaft useless and not usable for my project ??

Bottom line is he has to cut at a certain location to make his project work , i told him to cut where he needs to , to make it work for him , what we are wondering/hoping is that there is enough shaft sticking out of the box for me to do something with it , or if the box has now become useless

I will have my complete shaft to "add" to if possible , but i don't know IF its possible , given the remaining length of shaft left

Last edited by JimDirt; 01-14-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Clarance J

In 1975 I put a 69 GTO tilt column in my 55.2 with the stock box.

This is how I solved the problem. The outer column of the stock column is press fit into the box. When you pull the outer column out it leaves the box open to exposure. It needs to be sealed up. I used round alumimium bar stock, drilled through center for steering shaft, cut inside groove for O-ring and pressed it into steering box to seal it. The shaft was cut about 2" above box. This is just to show you that you can save a box with a short shaft. I drove my truck with this set up for a lot of years.

Earl
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #11
JimDirt

So there is no seal in the box where the shaft goes in ?? , there must be some seal that fits something that can be used to seal the opening , seems like its getting to be a major project just to get a stock box to work without the stock column

There has got to be a easier way to keep the stock steering geometry , that is still cheap

Also looking at your picture , it looks to have about 3" of shaft sticking out of the box (judging by the collar length it looks to have) , i do not think that much will be left , more like 1/2" sticking out of the end of the box