The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Fatrob

Question How loud are these interiors

So just got my 59 back on the road after a slow 7 year frame off restoration. First drive, all I can think is this is loud! No way one could hear a radio at any volume. Is this normal?

Most of the noise is rattles.

Any tips on what to attack first?

During the restoration process I put in all new weather seal, door felts, sound deadener under new carpet.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Fatrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
mikebte

Re: How loud are these interiors

My 59 is the same way, I would always take the wife out to dinner so we would not have to talk on the way. Only way to get some real piece and quiet. Haha, ok it is noisy. I have opted to add the heat and sound deadner as well as carpet and more sound barrier on the roof and in the doors. It is way better than it was but still no modern cruiser.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
vintovka

Wind, road and engine noise are part of the deal. Sound deadener can help. Costly High end sound systems seem at odds with the 50's technology
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I agree ...sound deader is a must in these old trucks....but remember...when they were built comfort and quite wernt on the list of options...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
MARTINSR

Just start with a sound, then keep going. Rattles, something isn't right. I drive my 59 Rambler every day, is it quiet, nope, but not too bad.

My daughter (who was about 14 at the time) was in the Rambler and she said "This car makes a lot of noise." Then went on to say "The Gran Sport makes a lot of noise too, but it's good noise." LOL Damn I love that kid.

The photo below is the Gran Sport which is parked in front of the building that in 1965 it was born in.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd almost bet that if you pulled all of the insulation out of my daily (it's a 98) that the insulation alone would weigh almost as much as the bare cab and doors for my 48. That car has me spoiled to the point I don't like driving it with the windows down and have to hear wind noise.

On the AD and TF trucks I'd say it is a process of tracking down and eliminating one squeak or rattle at a time and maybe figuring out how to improve the sound deadener in the truck. That could include sneaking over on the car audio sites and seeing what the latest and most effect sound deadener is. Also will it serve as a heat shield along with cutting down on the sound.

I'd say eliminating squeaks and rattles starts with the bare frame and everything you add to it. If you are always thinking about preventing rattles and squeaks as you go you will no doubt have less to deal with when you do that first drive.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
vintovka

Hollow doors and oil drum roofs are hard to completely soundproof. I was wondering about how those who add a "second firewall" works. I find turning off my hearing aids is my last resort.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrob View Post
First drive, all I can think is this is loud! No way one could hear a radio at any volume. Is this normal?
1st off... that is one sexy 4 eyed beauty, ogre has a thing for yellow 4 eyed beauties

2nd there is a reason i have 1000 watt stereo in my truck

3rd rattles can be fixed, noise not so much

4th "slow 7 year"... you beat me by a year

my truk has 2 layers of sound deadening, 2 layers of sound foam and carpet and it's still deafening in the cab at 80 mph
a lot of road noise can be from tires, but most likely your hearing engine, wind and road together
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
_Ogre

5th Mrs Ogre drove in my truk one time, never again in 8 years. mr ogre is ok with that

Old 09-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
joedoh

I did a 49 and used 7/8 jute under the carpet, replaced all the window seals and door seals, sealed the firewall for air leaks, installed a headliner and door panels, and nothing else. you could clearly hear the drivers inner door handle ticking on bumps at 70mph. tidd idd ick. tidd idd ick. you could have a quiet conversation in that one.

the jute padding made the biggest difference. the 41s I did were quiet inside too with the same treatment, I used sound deadening under the jute on those, but they were louder because there was just so much more places for road noise to come in.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
5th Mrs Ogre drove in my truk one time, never again in 8 years. mr ogre is ok with that
LOLOL

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #12
Black_Sheep

In stock form, the interior of a TF cab is more or less a tin can. I used a Dynamat type product called FatMat on the cab floor, firewall, doors and rear wall. On top of that I used FatMat floor liner from the top of the firewall to the back of the cab. On top of that will be heavy jute padding and carpeting. The doors and kick panels are fully upholstered with high density foam which should quiet interior noise levels. We'll see how quiet it is when I drive it in the very near future. It seems very solid, time will tell...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #13
1project2many

My first truck, when I was 17, was so loud it was almost unbearable. It had no door seals and rust holes everywhere. When I first owned the '57 it was the same way. No seals in the doors, rust holes in the floors, and more wind noise than a man could stand. So when I restored it I was really concerned with making sure it was quiet. But I didn't do anything crazy. I have 5/8" jute with aluminum heat barier under the rubber floor mat. The firewall pad is made of the same jute w/ aluminum glued to a piece of linoleum. All of the seals are in place on the door including new mohair strips and new cloth in the top and rear channel, and the doors are adjusted correctly. The insides of the doors are painted but no undercoat or sound deadener was used and there is no pad under the seat. The floor of the cab is undercoated. I did find that a large source of wind noise was around the vent wings so I put petroleum jelly on the metal frame of the wing and ran a bead of silicone sealer up the front rubber seal and along the division bar seal then closed and latched the wing while the silicone cured.

This summer I noticed some "clicking" sounds in the cab over bumps, a slight amount of wind noise at the top of the driver's door, the rattling of the mode door, and a very low frequency sound if I open the windows on the highway. The wind noise at the top of the driver's door and the clicking over bumps are new. I'm going to order new door seals and I'm going to look at the cab mounts to see if they're beginning to fail.

I have tinnitis which is aggravated by wind noise. I don't believe the '57 is much louder inside then the '07 Sierra work truck I drive daily. I actually stripped the interior of the '07 last summer and installed a layer of adhesive urethane sound deadener under the rubber mat and up the back wall. I also replaced both door seals modified the cab vents so they did not open as easily.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
68blackbird

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre
LOLOL

Brian

^^ Agreed ^^
Old 09-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #15
MiraclePieCo

My '50 PU was horrendously noisy inside. I replaced the window channels which stopped them from rattling, replaced the door weatherstrip which stopped them from banging, and put sound insulation and carpet in the floor.

I was amazed how much difference it all made.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Black_Sheep

One thing that nobody has addressed yet is the use fo adhesive / sealant between adjoining sheet metal panels. The factory assembly manual shows numerous points that require a bead of sealer between panels, omitting that step will likely result in squeaks and rattles. I used 3M strip caulk in the locations shown in the assembly manual in hopes of preventing as many squeaks and rattles as possible.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #17
65blackfleetside

You all have me worried now with my build Have any of you guys put insulation under the headliner? I put some fat mat up there under my stock '51 headliner but now I am thinking I should have glued some of that foil backed sunshade insulation up there under stock headliner too.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #18
1project2many

Quote:
You all have me worried now with my build Have any of you guys put insulation under the headliner?
No. I actually never pulled the headliner out of mine. Before I replaced the door and window seals I was absolutely convinced there was noise coming through the roof. It's amazing how the sound in the roof area stopped after the new seals were installed.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
_Ogre

ogre put acoustic foam under the headliner in truk
headliner is the same ultra-suede used on seats
Attached Images