The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
harrij4

Rear Quarter Panel Bedside Holes

Greetings - I'm currently running a soft top on my '72. The snap rails for the top have a weather strip that seals up the oval holes in the quarter panel that the hard-top bolts use. But, there are two round holes in the quarter panel "bed rail" that stick out a little from underneath the soft top's snap rail. The end result is that water runs down the top, then into those holes. What are these holes for, and should there be something sealing them up? I'll try to upload a picture of what I'm referring to later tonight.
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Rear Quarter Panel Bedside Holes

They might be the actual hard top holes or any number of modifications that somebody made for strapping stuff down to the bed, etc. over the past 50 years of ownership by prior owners.

why not just get some rubber body plugs or even the plastic ones at your local hardware store - https://www.lowes.com/pl/Hole-plugs-...are/4294711044

These Blazers were never waterproof - maybe more water resistant as it seems many leak even with the hard top installed.

Looking forward to seeing pictures.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #3
harrij4

Ok, finally grabbed some photos of the holes. One in front, one in rear, both quarter panels. I don't mind plugging them or adhering some plates to the bottom, just wondering what they're for, and why they aren't covered by the seal for the soft top's snap rails.
Attached Images

harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I believe those holes are there to maneuver panels during the stamping or assembly process. These would be covered by the hard top.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote