The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
1970BannerBlazer

Shock Recommendations - 4" Lift

1970 Blazer
4x4
New 4" Tuff Country Lift Springs
New Bilstein 5100 Shocks
454 Engine
35x12.5-20 wheel/tire
Pavement Queen

I'm looking for some suggestions on shocks for my Blazer. I recently installed new springs and shocks and the ride is super bouncy. Even bouncier than my original 4" lift springs with old ass Rancho shocks.

No need to debate ride quality in this thread.

I need help finding a correct shock for this setup. The Bilstein 5100 just aren't cutting it. My mechanic thinks that these are the cause of the bounciness.

I would prefer an adjustable shock so I can dial in the ride. Something like the Rancho RS9000XL. It's hard to tell what else is out that that might be adjustable like the Rancho. I've looked at all the major brands and it seems like none have a simple adjustability like Rancho.

I'm also open to non adjustable, but I figured that the adjustability will allow me the most leeway.

I would like to stay under $200 per shock.

Why don't I just go with the Rancho? I'm not particularly fond of the brand. Their technology is over 10 years old. I'm thinking there is newer stuff out there. Maybe I am wrong.

Thoughts?
1970BannerBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Shock Recommendations - 4" Lift

Bouncy how?? too stiff a ride or soft like you're driving on a beach ball
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
1970BannerBlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Bouncy how?? too stiff a ride or soft like you're driving on a beach ball
Beach ball. Every little dip in the road it will bounce on.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
-Greg72

What are you running for tire pressure?

Tires act like "secondary suspension" and can absorb a LOT of energy from the road before transferring the rest up into the leafsprings / shocks.

-G

1972 K5 - 502BBC/4L80E/Magnum205/Mog-9s/5.26s/38" BFG KM2s

Find me on INSTAGRAM @MIGHTASWELLK5

'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
A1971Blazer

My '70 K/5 has 4" BDS springs and Fox 2.0 series shocks....35x12.5x15 MT Baja Claw tires
this is how I bought it
The ride is fairly/rough stiff but I don't experience the "bounce" that you are describing.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
1970BannerBlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Greg72 View Post
What are you running for tire pressure?

Tires act like "secondary suspension" and can absorb a LOT of energy from the road before transferring the rest up into the leafsprings / shocks.

-G
35. Same as it was prior to the install of the new components. Prior to the install it didn’t bounce. It was really rough but it didn’t bounce.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #7
-Greg72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970BannerBlazer View Post
35. Same as it was prior to the install of the new components. Prior to the install it didn’t bounce. It was really rough but it didn’t bounce.

To be 100% clear: When you say "bounce".... you mean that the tire hits a bump and completely leaves the road (like a jump)?.... and you feel like you are getting air under the tires? (OR) Does the tire follow the bump in the road properly... but then imparts a massive oscillation into the springs which then causes the chassis to pitch up and down afterwards?

In one of your posts it sounded more like scenario #1.... which leads me to question if the front shackles were torqued too tightly during the spring install and are preventing the spring from flattening out properly under compression.

I am a big believer in the greasable spring bushings from ORD. It's a surefire way to insure that the bushings are never the culprit and are able to twist and rotate freely. Getting rid of any resistance there guarantees that your spring is being allowed to do it's job properly.

Just a few random thoughts to consider.

-G

Old 04-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
52napco

It's not the shocks ...it's the springs..I have 5100s on my K5 with Alcans and it rides like a dream. I also have them on my 87 V10 and it rides great as well.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:20 PM   #9
1970BannerBlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Greg72 View Post
To be 100% clear: When you say "bounce".... you mean that the tire hits a bump and completely leaves the road (like a jump)?.... and you feel like you are getting air under the tires? (OR) Does the tire follow the bump in the road properly... but then imparts a massive oscillation into the springs which then causes the chassis to pitch up and down afterwards?

In one of your posts it sounded more like scenario #1.... which leads me to question if the front shackles were torqued too tightly during the spring install and are preventing the spring from flattening out properly under compression.

I am a big believer in the greasable spring bushings from ORD. It's a surefire way to insure that the bushings are never the culprit and are able to twist and rotate freely. Getting rid of any resistance there guarantees that your spring is being allowed to do it's job properly.

Just a few random thoughts to consider.

-G
Second scenario. I’ll only catch air on speed bumps. Interesting on the shackle tightness. What torque level should I shoot for?
Old 04-07-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
1970BannerBlazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
It's not the shocks ...it's the springs..I have 5100s on my K5 with Alcans and it rides like a dream. I also have them on my 87 V10 and it rides great as well.
I know the 5100 are good but maybe they just aren’t right for my truck. Springs are hard to change. Shocks aren’t. I have a few hindered extra pounds in my nose that most don’t with the 454. Maybe that’s the problem.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
-Greg72

Quote:
Second scenario. I’ll only catch air on speed bumps. Interesting on the shackle tightness. What torque level should I shoot for?
The main issue is that if the springs were installed on a lift the shackle will be out-of-position when the mechanic cranks down all those bolts. That can capture the bushings in a position where they will not want to rotate and "settle out" once the weight of the truck is back on it. It would probably be good to just jack up the front axle to get the tires off the ground slightly. Then loosen the upper and lower shackle bolts partway... then lower the truck.... and torque to spec when weight is fully on them again.

Quote:
I know the 5100 are good but maybe they just aren’t right for my truck. Springs are hard to change. Shocks aren’t. I have a few hindered extra pounds in my nose that most don’t with the 454. Maybe that’s the problem.
Big blocks are cool, but it makes no difference to the shock. Springs support the weight of the truck not the shocks. If your engine is heavier, you will need a higher spring rate to achieve a given ride height. The shock is dealing with the motion of the unsprung mass (axle, tires, brakes, etc). The type/weight of the engine does not change the shock valving requirement.

-G

Old 04-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #12
Willowrun

Try Rancho RS5000's. Might be old technology but it will firm up the ride of an all spring tuff country lift. I feel sprung weight does matter with shocks and that big block is overcoming the dampening of the soft Bilsteins.

Not sure if you're running a full top or not but if not I'd try the RS5000's in just the front first as you're front heavy with the big block.

Just my opinion and a cheap option to try.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote