The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
rauto13
saving one more

71 Chevy firewall paint

I have found a 1971 Chevy C10 that I am in process of tearing down. I want to go back with an original looking paint on the firewall and interior. The truck was originally black with a white top and is now covered on the outside with primer by one of the previous owners. The paint on the firewall and inside the cab are still original without any primer sprayed on them.

I would like to paint the firewall and possibly inside the cab while I have everything stripped off the firewall. I am cleaning the front part of the frame right now and will be painting it also. I think I might use Eastwood for the chassis paint but am unsure what to use on the firewall.

I am not a painter and have never painted a vehicle before, my best experience is with spray paint. I do not want the firewall, fender edges, or underside of hood to have a really glossy color, a little shine would be ok.

So, I am asking, what would be a good single stage paint that is black and would be good for the firewall and likely later for the inside of the cab?

Any suggestions or tips on how to do this correctly would be greatly appreciated.

It has been a long time since I was on this area of this forum and it feels good to be back.
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: 71 Chevy firewall paint

Have your paint vendor add flattener to the paint you use under the hood.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
72c20customcamper

SEM rust shield paint . Looks exactly like what gm used in cars very durable I painted the firewall 7 years ago on the Chevelle
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
sick472

I have used Rustoleum on a couple of builds and like it a lot. I get the flat black in a gallon can. I can't say if it is real close to the way the general did it, but I like the outcome. Most of the time, I thin it and spay it initially, but over the course of the build...it gets marred and I end up brushing another coat on or two. Flat black Rustoleum is the most forgiving paint to touch up that I have found and it is affordable and can be found everywhere. I use it every where under the body/bed, engine bay, and hidden areas of the cab. I bet I have 4 gallons of paint in those areas combined...lol. I would not recommend it for vehicle that is going to try and win some big shows, but it is very user friendly and durable for the common build.
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote