The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
Jcfcamaro

Finally got burned

I've been looking for some good used 3.73 gears for my 72 k10 I'm building and found a set for the 12 bolt rearend on one of the 67-72 Facebook forums. The guy said he needed to do some work on the rearend and went ahead and had the shop put new gears ,bearings ect in it. So I asked if they were gm gears and if they had any rust,pits,chips ect. He replied they are gm and no rust or pits. Well they came today and are pitted real bad and also have huge chips in several teeth. So I contacted him telling him the condition and he says they looked fine to him which they were dirty and I cleaned them up in the parts washer,but here where it gets interesting, I wasn't real mad because it's a mistake anyone could have made but he tells me to send them back and he'll refund the money less his shipping cost. So 75.00 gears which cost him 33.45 to ship and I'm assuming will cost me the same to return will end up with like 8.00 back. I told him I didn't think that was fair and put himself in my shoes,and that he told me they had no pits or chips ect. His comeback was that he's been in my shoes and either send them back or keep them. What a asshole... I've bought alot of parts over the last 10yrs or so and probably surprised it hasn't happened before now.
Attached Images

Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Finally got burned

It is hard to tell from the pictures but the pitting shown in the first photo isn't terrible. I have run gear sets with similar pitting. It wasn't a high performance vehicle and had been running that way for years when I discovered the pitting when I did a fluid change.
I would take them to an experienced rear end builder and get their opinion. It seems to me that would be your best option at this point. You could also clean them up real good and post some good pictures in the drive train section asking for opinions.
Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:50 AM   #3
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
It is hard to tell from the pictures but the pitting shown in the first photo isn't terrible. I have run gear sets with similar pitting. It wasn't a high performance vehicle and had been running that way for years when I discovered the pitting when I did a fluid change.
I would take them to an experienced rear end builder and get their opinion. It seems to me that would be your best option at this point. You could also clean them up real good and post some good pictures in the drive train section asking for opinions.
Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Actually they are clean. Cleaned them up in my parts washer and used a hand wire brush. I showed them to a local mechanic and he basically thought they were junk. The dirt and grime made them look decent when I took them out of the box but after i cleaned them they look horrible. He also said it looked like they were set up wrong the way the wear pattern was.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

How could the seller know they weren't pitted if he never cleaned them? I think you should link us to his sale and you should bring your issue for all that group to see. I'm probably in that group and so are many others. We have the power to wish he never sold you those faulty gears. Pits are not ok. They mean a compromised and weakening wear surface. They only get worse and next come chips. That is the reason we buy new gears to avoid catastrophic issues from occurring. That is the reason bearings get replaced. I'd about guarantee the carrier bearings are equally pitted. Sure a vehicle can run on pitted gear teeth a while, but how long and why go through the labor to install? The absolute fact here is the seller claimed there wear no pits. The buyer did not ask for his opinion. When asked this question it was the duty of the seller to do as the buyer did and clean the damn ring gear up and inspect as if he cared as much that the buyer got what he paid for as he cared that he got the money! It's called integrity. You have to look at the $108.45 cost to the buyer compared to the cost of new, and now the $66.90 it will now cost him for nothing!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
How could the seller know they weren't pitted if he never cleaned them? I think you should link us to his sale and you should bring your issue for all that group to see. I'm probably in that group and so are many others. We have the power to wish he never sold you those faulty gears. Pits are not ok. They mean a compromised and weakening wear surface. They only get worse and next come chips. That is the reason we buy new gears to avoid catastrophic issues from occurring. That is the reason bearings get replaced. I'd about guarantee the carrier bearings are equally pitted. Sure a vehicle can run on pitted gear teeth a while, but how long and why go through the labor to install? The absolute fact here is the seller claimed there wear no pits. The buyer did not ask for his opinion. When asked this question it was the duty of the seller to do as the buyer did and clean the damn ring gear up and inspect as if he cared as much that the buyer got what he paid for as he cared that he got the money! It's called integrity. You have to look at the $108.45 cost to the buyer compared to the cost of new, and now the $66.90 it will now cost him for nothing!
I went through all 5 of my Facebook forums and he had posted ads for the gears on like 4 of them,but I'll post a picture of the one I bought them from. I asked a couple of questions then we went to messenger.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
Jcfcamaro

Just posted a for sale add on the Facebook forum a buyer beware add about my problem. We'll see how long it stays up before it gets deleted.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Getter-Done

That is just Wrong.
He will get what he deserves

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I had this happen to me, though I was the seller of a set of four sport wheels for a Buick Skylark. No idea how one got bent, but I sent him the cost of one wheel and the shipping. I didn't like it, but I don't sell junk (on purpose). I hope you get a decent resolution.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
68bbc/20

did you use pay-pal? if so I would contact them.
68bbc/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
firedemon

i believe i have the factory set off my 67 still . i put new ones in when i went posi just because everything else was new . ill look em over tomorrow if theyre still good you can have em for shipping
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
i believe i have the factory set off my 67 still . i put new ones in when i went posi just because everything else was new . ill look em over tomorrow if theyre still good you can have em for shipping
This right here is what makes this board what it is... Awesome!!! It’s always cool to me to see fellow truck guys coming to the rescue on stuff like this.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bbc/20 View Post
did you use pay-pal? if so I would contact them.
Yes, and I did file a claim.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
That would be awesome!!!
Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

Sounds like things are starting to look up. Now if you had wanted to go with 3.07's I could have helped.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #15
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Sounds like things are starting to look up. Now if you had wanted to go with 3.07's I could have helped.
Yes, and thanks for the offer. I'm going to send the gears back which will cost me at least the same amount it cost the seller, which was 33.45. Depending how PayPal rules it I'll get 8.00 back, maybe my original 75.00 or 75.00 minus his shipping fee of 33.45= around 42.00. Needless to say when I ship the gears back I'll have 105.00 to 110.00 invested in something I don't have. Or maybe I should wait and see what PayPal says to do.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #16
54blackhornet

My 2cents won’t get you much but I will say it anyway. Buy from folks on this site and you have a very high degree of being treated honestly. CL FB not so much.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
My 2cents won’t get you much but I will say it anyway. Buy from folks on this site and you have a very high degree of being treated honestly. CL FB not so much.
Your absolutely right.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #18
Ironhorse

Really sucks you were treated in this manner. I would think the Facebook seller knew the gears were in bad condition before the sale, quite possibly the reason they were not "cleaned" . I replaced the 3:36 ring and pinion in my 57 Chevy posi unit because of minor pitting with a 3:55 ring and pinion. Not worth the hassle of having to go back in a second time. Sorry this happened to you, special-k is right about INTEGRITY. Sadly it is lacking in so many people now day.

Just a thought BUT if you do send the gears back in hopes of some sort of refund/remittance look into using a Priority Flat Rate US Postal Service box. If just the ring gear may fit the medium flat rate box or possibly have to go to the larger box. But, " if it fits, it ships " does work and you have a tracking number to confirm delivery. Have shipped a few heavy items that way saving on shipping costs.

Good luck, hope you get a good outcome on this.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:40 PM   #19
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Really sucks you were treated in this manner. I would think the Facebook seller knew the gears were in bad condition before the sale, quite possibly the reason they were not "cleaned" . I replaced the 3:36 ring and pinion in my 57 Chevy posi unit because of minor pitting with a 3:55 ring and pinion. Not worth the hassle of having to go back in a second time. Sorry this happened to you, special-k is right about INTEGRITY. Sadly it is lacking in so many people now day.

Just a thought BUT if you do send the gears back in hopes of some sort of refund/remittance look into using a Priority Flat Rate US Postal Service box. If just the ring gear may fit the medium flat rate box or possibly have to go to the larger box. But, " if it fits, it ships " does work and you have a tracking number to confirm delivery. Have shipped a few heavy items that way saving on shipping costs.

Good luck, hope you get a good outcome on this.
That's a great idea because they came in a Richmond gear box which is pretty big and cost 33.45 to ship. I'm going to wait until I hear from PayPal. Paying 30+ dollars to get 8.00 back doesn't sound very good.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I was just going to say this same thing. No reason it should cost $33 to ship gears. Wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper good and ship in a flat-rate box.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #21
Jcfcamaro

This morning he got back to me saying he was on vacation. He asked if he give me a 35.00 refund If i would drop the PayPal claim. That was for shipping and PP fees. I payed 50.00 for the gears and 25.00 for shipping, he had to put in 8.45 extra because the shipping came to 33.45. I told him the math wasn't adding up and told him I'd give him15.00 to cover his 8.43 shipping and pp fees and he could refund me 60.00. Have not heard back yet.

Last edited by Jcfcamaro; 08-10-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #22
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
This morning he got back to me saying he was on vacation. He asked if he give me a 35.00 refund If i would drop the PayPal claim. That was for shipping and PP fees. I payed 50.00 for the gears and 25.00 for shipping, he had to put in 8.45 extra because the shipping came to 33.45. I told him the math wasn't adding up and told him I'd give him15.00 to cover his 8.43 shipping and pp fees and he could refund me 60.00. Have not heard back yet.
Well we worked a deal out that we would both eat the shipping cost and he's refunding me 50.00 and I'm cutting the gears up. 50.00 for me is better than nothing and would have had to ship them back. So I'm probably ahead with the 50.00. He still thinks he did nothing wrong .
Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
jayoldschool

Take whatever you can get, and put the money towards brand new gears. Gears are not that expensive.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #24
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Take whatever you can get, and put the money towards brand new gears. Gears are not that expensive.
I hear you..
Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #25
StingRay

I bought a NOS set off a board member here once. They were supposed to be in excellent condition. The box came with the ring and pinion rattling around in a very old GM box that was ratty and not secure before it left at the other end. Needless to say they were not suitable to install. They had chips and dings. I did get my money back but lost the shipping costs. His explanation was shelf wear.