The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
infidelblackout

K10 Shortbed Conversion

I've been wanting to short bed my 72 k10. I have watched several videos on YouTube but everything is a C10 and I was looking at the Brother Long bed to short bed conversion kit and it states it is 2wd only. What is the difference between cutting the frame on a 4wd vs 2wd. Thanks
infidelblackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
flashed

Re: K10 Shortbed Conversion

The frames are different but I dont know what the difference is .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:20 AM   #3
B. W.

If you're comfortable with welding then you can do it without the kit. "Z" cut, slash cut or straight cut are all acceptable. Pros & cons to each but they are all plenty strong if done right. I did a straight cut on mine ('70 K20) cause I felt it was the easiest. I did it in the flat section under the cab, had to re-locate the rear cab mounts, that's about it (you have to remove the front bed brackets & cut off the rear of the frame also) Do a search on here, lots of guys have done it, plenty of pics.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
rjs53

Probably do to the transfer case. The crossmember may be further back. I'll measure my frame and take some pics, its a c10 long bed maybe you'll see a difference.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
tutone

Welcome to the forum, the k series is not represented very well here or pretty much anywhere else when it comes to making the conversion. If I were you I would keep a tape measure handy and find a factory shorty. You will measure all your components from the farthest common component of both trucks (lb and sb). My guess its the front cab mount. You know 12 inches has to come out of the frame somewhere between the front mt and rear axle. Common sense. The x member is a pain in the rear to de-rivit and move. The rear cab mounts, not so much. Make sure your cuts are clean, your welds are strong, and your x member winds up exactly as far from the front cab mount as the factory frame. Measure as many tmes as you need to as to make sure you are square side to side AND up and down. You will relocate the rear cab mount exactly as far back from the front one as is was. You will no longer need the front bed mount. Your exhaust/ rear drive shaft/and e brake cables will all need modified and/ or replaced. Your rear tips of the frame will then be lopped off 8 inches. Brake lines have to be cut 12 inches and next is the bed. Lots of work or a big expense replacing it. Its a big job and not easy. Not complicated, just a bunch of bull work. The rewards are worth it after you are on the road, but you can expect to be down for a spell. It is a process and many of us on here have successfully pulled it off. Good luck to you.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
B. W.

Here's where I did mine:

I picked that location because it messed with less stuff. Other than the cab mounts, the factory exhaust hanger on the driver's frame rail was moved. I have no pics of the rear but it's a straight cut.

Tutone is right about it being a lot of work but I think the frame is way easier than the bed. If I had the $ I'd just by the bed.

I replaced all the brake lines so that wasn't an issue. If your keeping yours just replace the intermediate line down the passenger frame rail.

The rear E-brake cables are not affected just the intermediate cable - get one for a short bed.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
tutone

B.W. You did a really nice job on the frame. I think it would be nice to get a little more info from the original poster as to what he wants to accomplish. Gathering from what he wrote, I automatically assume he does not have a disassembled truck like yours. I took it as he has one he is driving now, and wants to make a shortbed out of it. That is based on the question about the Brothers kit, which is more or less designed for a less invasive conversion. Had I had mine frame -off, I would have changed a few things. Instead, I did it myself and all with leaving the cab on, but raised up and supported. I like the idea of having the space and time to do it like you did. Maybe he will chime back in and at least we gave him some thoughts to chew on. I personally like Brother's parts in general, but I am not a big fan of their conversion kit.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
infidelblackout

Thanks to every one that posted. I do have an assembled truck that I am driving, that's the reason the Brothers kit looks so appealing. when I saw the 2wd only on the kit it got me to wondering if there was any major issues I was going to run in to cutting a 4wd compared to a 2wd. I see this done all the time on c10 but have not seen anything on a 4wd. B.W. thanks for the pics
Old 02-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
infidelblackout

Do you think it is possible to cut the frame and wed it uo while the cab is dtill on ?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
B. W.

Yes, I've seen several threads where they did it that way. Tutone did it that way, he raised the cab up off the frame though.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #11
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Yes, I've seen several threads where they did it that way. Tutone did it that way, he raised the cab up off the frame though.
Not only is it possible, it may be easier. I bet the brothers kit is exclusive to the two wheel drive because of the factory holes used in their template. Then only to find out that the template for the rear cab mount is off by a half inch, according to everybody on here that has used it. Since you don't have a trailing arm suspension, you wont have a bulky cross member to deal with. You will have the added weight and mass of a transfer case real close to where you want to work. Crawl under there and take us some pictures so we can see what all is in your way. Check out my build thread for reference on the way I supported the cab. Yours will be the same. You might have to drop a little more than the drive shaft, don't know yet.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #12
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelblackout View Post
Thanks to every one that posted. I do have an assembled truck that I am driving, that's the reason the Brothers kit looks so appealing. when I saw the 2wd only on the kit it got me to wondering if there was any major issues I was going to run in to cutting a 4wd compared to a 2wd. I see this done all the time on c10 but have not seen anything on a 4wd. B.W. thanks for the pics
If it is something you are driving and do not have another vehicle I would look into getting another frame to cut down. It is a job that shouldn't be rushed and will be slow to accomplish with a complete 4x4 drivetrain and exhaust system in the way plus limited access with the cab only partially removed will slow you down even further.

It doesn't have to be a 4x4 frame either. A 2wd GMC is standard with leaf spring rear suspension and it was an option on 2wd Chevy trucks too. I know the Chevy optioned with leaf has the bulged 2wd trailing arm profile frame but with dimple provisions formed into the rails to locate the leaf spring hangers and a different set of crossmembers behind the trailing arm mount crossmember. It does have the trailing arm mount crossmember but it isn't fit with the arm mounts. You will have to remove that crossmember to make room for your transfer case. The rest will remain and it will be a direct bolt-in to your current truck.

I converted my shortbed stepside Chevy C10 that was optioned with leaf to trailing arm with parts from my 67 C10 Suburban and put the leaf parts from the stepside onto the Suburban to facilitate its conversion to a 4x4. It was easy to install the leaf parts onto the trailing arm frame. You could get the needed crossmembers and shock mount brackets from a GMC in the wrecking yard to convert a Chevy trialing arm frame if you can't find a good GMC frame for sale. The front spring hangers from a square body are very different and will not work so they need to come from a 67-72.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
infidelblackout

Ill try to get some pics of the underneath today. I had a buddy that is getting rid of a 68 c-10 short bed frame but turned it down because it was 2wd with trailing arms. This truck is not my daily driver so I can have it done for as long as it takes. I picked up this truck a couple of years back with the intent to get my boy off the PS4 and in the garage.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
B. W.

Great idea to get your son off the electronics. I have three boys (well, 2 are men now!) I tried with all of them, told them we'll build whatever they want. Only worked on one!