The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #76
72Mountaineer

Re: Soffseal door rubber

So which is it? Post #56 or post #62. I have a pic from my original '53 as I took it off that says #56 is correct.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #77
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
So which is it? Post #56 or post #62. I have a pic from my original '53 as I took it off that says #56 is correct.
Post #62 is correct. It can be flipped either way depending on the gap you have in your doors.
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #78
Zippi

The weather here is going to be in the 70's this week so I think I'll work on my door seals. I'm off work for the next 3 to 6 weeks due to the Covid-19 outbreak so I have plenary of jobs for the 49. Just replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column today. Picked up some wax remover the other day and a fresh can of denatured alcohol to clean the doors where the seals will attach.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #79
Zippi

This morning I thought I would start installing the door seals I've been waiting to put on. I cleaned the doors with wax remover and denatured alcohol. I got the door seal put on the drivers side and it looked so nice. I was able to get the seal stuck to the door around the hinges using a 1/4" wooden dowel rod. Then it happened......the dreaded door won't close. I knew my door gaps were extreme tight that's why I turned the seal around and used the short side. It looked like it was pinching a little around the hing area so I removed it from that area. That helped a little so then I removed it across the whole bottom of the door and that really helped. I was still unable to get the door to shut. I had to remove it all which was a pain but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Guess I'm SOL on door seals. Dan-git to hell anyway.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #80
Tempest67

I found this on Amazon. It is hollow, so I am hoping it will easily compress in the tight areas, and it's cheap... I think I may give it a try.

I hope this link works

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NMQVS2W/...v_lig_dp_it_im
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #81
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
I found this on Amazon. It is hollow, so I am hoping it will easily compress in the tight areas, and it's cheap... I think I may give it a try.

I hope this link works

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NMQVS2W/...v_lig_dp_it_im
I appreciate the link. That is still to thick for my truck. I'm not longer hot on getting this done but will keep my eyes open for something at Lowe's or wherever. Was really hoping this would quite the wind noise down some so it looks like putting the radio in was a waste of money. Should have put the delete in like I had originally planned. Oh well....lesson learned.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #82
Tempest67

it may be in a few months, but I think I will give this a try.

I will let you know my results
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #83
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
it may be in a few months, but I think I will give this a try.

I will let you know my results
Check your door gaps. Everybody's AD will be different. If they are extremely tight like mine I'm not sure what will work.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #84
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
This morning I thought I would start installing the door seals I've been waiting to put on. I cleaned the doors with wax remover and denatured alcohol. I got the door seal put on the drivers side and it looked so nice. I was able to get the seal stuck to the door around the hinges using a 1/4" wooden dowel rod. Then it happened......the dreaded door won't close. I knew my door gaps were extreme tight that's why I turned the seal around and used the short side. It looked like it was pinching a little around the hing area so I removed it from that area. That helped a little so then I removed it across the whole bottom of the door and that really helped. I was still unable to get the door to shut. I had to remove it all which was a pain but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Guess I'm SOL on door seals. Dan-git to hell anyway.
Can you just adjust your striker plates out temporarily until the seals compress a bit?

Old 04-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #85
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Can you just adjust your striker plates out temporarily until the seals compress a bit?

I was leaning against the door trying to get the latch to catch but there is just no way the door was going to close. Not even close. Some of my door gaps were so tight the rubber will not compress that much. I did turn my seal around as in post #63 so don't know if that played a part in the door not closing or not. I tried fellows. Time for plan B.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #86
jweb

While it would require removing the doors to install it you could try the thinner seals from MMP. https://www.metrommp.com/index.cfm?f...ET&Model=TRUCK

You could order 1' of it to test on your doors first.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #87
MiraclePieCo

My problem is that one door has tight clearance, the other door wide clearance, even though from the outside they look perfectly identical.

I just gave up and installed some square self-adhesive household weatherstrip from Lowes. It's the third truck I've done with this stuff. It takes a few days for it to compress, but after that it's fine.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #88
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
My problem is that one door has tight clearance, the other door wide clearance, even though from the outside they look perfectly identical.

I just gave up and installed some square self-adhesive household weatherstrip from Lowes. It's the third truck I've done with this stuff. It takes a few days for it to compress, but after that it's fine.
I think that's what I'll do as well once the covid-19 outbreak is over. That seal in the pic looks pretty thick. How thick is it? The SoftSeal I got was 3/4" on the long side and 5/8" on the short side. I compressed it between my fingers and I might have gotten it to maybe 3/16". I rechecked the area's on my door where I thought I was having issues and those spots checked less than 3/16".

Last edited by Zippi; 04-08-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #89
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
I think that's what I'll do as well once the covid-19 outbreak is over. That seal in the pic looks pretty thick. How thick is it? The SoftSeal I got was 3/4" on the long side and 5/8" on the short side. I compressed it between my fingers and I might have gotten it to maybe 3/16". I rechecked the area's on my door where I thought I was having issues and those spots checked less than 3/16".
It's 7/16 but it's solid and takes a while to conform to the door opening. Probably the best solution for tight or varying gaps would be the hollow stuff because it compresses so easily.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 04-08-2020 at 08:33 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #90
Zippi

A fellow in one of the other threads (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/....php?t=804153] has a pretty slick idea on sealing the door gaps. I have ordered these seals in hopes that this will work on my tight door gaps.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #91
Jemezcrusher

I started this thing 4 pages ago and today I am totally chapped!. I used the precision rubber and put it on just like their video. 3M weatherstrip glue, properly installed. Did this a month ago and it looked great . Good adhesion and thought all was well. Went out today and noticed I had a couple of loose spots. As it turns out, the glue released from all of the rubber seal. Stuck like hell to the door and now will have to figure out what to buy to get it off, but the rubber has NO sealant sticking to it. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #92
Zippi

Man that doesn't sound good. Sometimes rubber products come with a white looking powder on them. Must have to do with the process. I cleaned my door seals with denatured alcohol before I installed them even thought I didn't use the adhesive. I put the SoftSeal door seals on my truck which were WAY to thick and had to pull theme off. In the process I chipped my paint at the door edge on the hinge side. Really ticked me off. I purchased some different door seals off Amazon a week ago that are a lot thinner and they still have not shipped. I rechecked the parts and they are in stock. Shouldn't take this long to ship. I'm thinking about canceling my order. This Covid-19 pandemic has really screwed things up on ordering.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #93
Jemezcrusher

I wiped these down too, and is certainly not my first rodeo putting on weatherstrip. I was stunned (yesterday’s language would have been much more colorful) when I notice some of it was just not attached, and then to see that zero of the 3m adhesive was sticking to the rubber anywhere.

Was a new tube of goo so that is not the problem. Was very maticoulous on the install. Must have been something with the rubber so I ordered 3M adhesive remover and will use the peel and stick universal weatherstrip soffseal sent with my original order.
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #94
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
I wiped these down too, and is certainly not my first rodeo putting on weatherstrip. I was stunned (yesterday’s language would have been much more colorful) when I notice some of it was just not attached, and then to see that zero of the 3m adhesive was sticking to the rubber anywhere.

Was a new tube of goo so that is not the problem. Was very maticoulous on the install. Must have been something with the rubber so I ordered 3M adhesive remover and will use the peel and stick universal weatherstrip soffseal sent with my original order.
Hope your Softseal weatherstrip works better for you than it did for me. I only want to do this one more time.