The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
chris mc bride

front suspenion interchangablity

Wonder if any here have tried to swap late model stuff to front of early chevy truck.Mainly looking to change front braking system on my 69 panel to 5 lug disc brakes.Any handling improvements would not hurt feelings either.
I know some sell kits to do it.Ones I have found are very pricy.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: front suspenion interchangablity

When you say late model how late do you mean? The basic 71 72 caliper and rotors were used till the mid eighty's. There are lots of info on these swaps in forum. Use the google search box and select the forum. If your looking for newer the real up grade would be something with ABS. And if you want handling the same search info is true. I do recommend the" No limit 72" thread by robnolimit. But be warned it will take you five or more hours to read it all.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mc bride View Post
Wonder if any here have tried to swap late model stuff to front of early chevy truck.Mainly looking to change front braking system on my 69 panel to 5 lug disc brakes.Any handling improvements would not hurt feelings either.
I know some sell kits to do it.Ones I have found are very pricy.

Two ways to do it. You can swap the whole front cross member or you can just swap individual parts. I prefer changing the whole cross member but I usually have the engine out when I do it.... If you type "crossmember swap" into the google search box at the top of this page, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the GOOGLE button you will find quite a few threads. Just make sure the thread you are looking at refers to your style of truck. (Hits will include all years)

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
notchbackgta

If you use the board search instead of the google one, you can get hits in specific forums, so you don't have to look through a bunch of posts that are not related to your year.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
chris mc bride

Have a 77 rust bucket I am going to look at this week. 500 for whole thing and have motor and trans sold for most of that if I get it.So this may be route I take.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Have a 77 rust bucket I am going to look at this week. 500 for whole thing and have motor and trans sold for most of that if I get it.So this may be route I take.
That will work. Be sure and check the tops of the upper A-arms and make sure they are not rusted through. I bought a badly rusted truck and when I started pulling the front crossmember out the A-arms were rusted through where the dirt and gravel was packed in them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
chris mc bride

add in 4L80E trans out of 97 3/4 ton I picked up for 600 bucks and drove it home.Have 5.7 running motor,3/4ton suspenion and some body parts.Should make me even and after scrap yard ahead some towards standalone computer for trans. Scares me when things seem to fall into place at right time.KEY WORD SEEMS.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
add in 4L80E trans out of 97 3/4 ton I picked up for 600 bucks and drove it home.Have 5.7 running motor,3/4ton suspenion and some body parts.Should make me even and after scrap yard ahead some towards standalone computer for trans. Scares me when things seem to fall into place at right time.KEY WORD SEEMS.
Sounds like man whose low on coupons and knows it.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #9
chris mc bride

hey coupons where can I get some of those?
Old 11-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

Smile Re: front suspenion interchangablity

Coupons cannot be bought, sold, traded, made, inherited, or even touched. Every person is granted a certain number upon birth. There is no rhyme or reason as to why someone people have a lifetime supply and others don't. Everytime you do something wrong and nothing bad happens you've used a coupon. If you've used all your coupons then something bad will happen. Say you change the oil pan gasket on your engine but forget to put oil in and fire it up and idle it for five minutes before you realize something is wrong. If you put oil in it and everything is OK you used a coupon. If you have to rebuild the motor then you were out of coupons. Some people claim that if you don't do anything wrong you can slowly regenerate coupons, but this has never been proven. This is why some people can run around oblivious they're doing things wrong and nothing ever goes bad for them. They have a lifetime supply of coupons. I wasn't born with the lifetime supply (in fact I think I got shortchanged) so I'm a little paranoid that I'm going to do something wrong even if I don't know what it is.