The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #201
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Also got the ECU engine harness completed and installed. I re-routed the wiring and came up with my own branch scheme. Got it all taped up then all wrapped up in Classic Braid from Painless Performance. That stuff looks really good. The only drawback is the kit I ordered (chassis pack) doesn't include nearly enough self vulcanizing tape (used to wrap the joints in the branches) but I guess they don't count on you wrapping an engine harness and a vehicle harness.

Here's the harness after re-routing, prior to getting wrapped. For the record, I officially hate the universal harness after going through this process. Where I have the ECU I have almost 4 ft of excess harness to contend with, yet I'm still super tight on one branch due to the lengths being already terminated. If I had this to do over again I'd get an unterminated harness, but I went ahead and got the harness with the ECU. Probably works for most people and makes their life easier, but for guys like me it drove me up the wall. Oh well. It's done. It's installed for now. It may get yanked in the future.
Name:  IMG_2802.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  102.4 KB

Little closer shot showing all the branches. For reference, I really only need about 1' of trunk vs the 5'+ shown above.
Name:  IMG_2803.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  96.5 KB

Here's that giant grommet again, this time on the harness. Nope I didn't cut the grommet and the connectors are all larger than the 1" center hole and it doesn't stretch enough to clear the connectors even after 10+ min in boiling water. So yep, I wound up removing all the wires from each of the ECU connectors. I of course have them all in a spreadsheet by pin, wire color and function so it didn't bother me, but I still only did one connector at a time.
Name:  IMG_2813.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  91.2 KB

Here's the harness all wrapped up. Way too long and I even have some wires in a loop they were so long. Live and learn.
Name:  IMG_2815.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  107.0 KB

A close up of a couple branches.
Name:  IMG_2814.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  81.8 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #202
1971_c10

This weekend after I got the engine harness installed I started on the vehicle integration. I'm running a Holley Dominator ECU, so it's got tons of inputs and outputs. It has a dedicated set (J2) for just that and then if you aren't running DBW or an e-Trans (like a 4l60e) then J3 and J4 become wide open for more inputs and outputs. J1 is now reserved for the engine. BTW, J1 and J2 have 2 connectors, so yes, that's 6 connectors on this beast of an ECU. And they all have at least 24 pins each. Fortunately I've only gotten in to around 20 extra pins as of right now. But add in wheel speed sensors for traction control and maybe some linear POTs on the suspension and there's a bunch more wires. This thing is setup for Turbos, NOS, water injection, flex fuels if you want, and more.

Just a bunch of extra long, ready to cut to length unterminated wires (they do have the ECU pin already crimped on), a couple blank connectors. That's more like how I like to roll.
Name:  IMG_2820.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  67.4 KB

Just a spreadsheet and my mind. Hmm, what color wire should I make this function?
Name:  IMG_2822.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  72.4 KB

Ok, a slight break from wiring. I needed to get my gauges to an installable point. Now, I had already designed this layout before, but I never made a proper panel until today. So here it is, all $16 of that 14 ga plate from Lowe's and some time. A bunch of time. Boy I wish I had a plasma cutter. But I don't. Shown here raw, which it will stay for the near term. I had planned to paint it, but this raw look with some of the sanding swirl from the DA still showing actually has me thinking it might stay raw. Well, a little clear would get shot on to help keep it from rusting since it's carbon steel.
Name:  IMG_2824.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  80.2 KB

All electric gauges mean lots more wires to deal with. I've got some connectors to install that will make this look a lot more manageable.
Name:  IMG_2827.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  101.8 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #203
Camaroguy

Very cool build and great attention to detail. I'm excited to hear it when you fire it.

Current Built (68 c10 swb): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=787712
Camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #204
crakarjax

A couple of random questions for you...

- Are your wheels going to fit in a stock wheel well?
- What paint do you use on small parts, eg the steering column bracket? I haven't had very good luck with anything in a rattle can besides this VHT Epoxy stuff so far.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #205
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy View Post
Very cool build and great attention to detail. I'm excited to hear it when you fire it.
Thanks man! Wow - I didn't realize it'd been so long since I last logged in! Some vacation, busy at work and I haven't made much progress either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
A couple of random questions for you...

- Are your wheels going to fit in a stock wheel well?

- What paint do you use on small parts, eg the steering column bracket? I haven't had very good luck with anything in a rattle can besides this VHT Epoxy stuff so far.
Wheels:
Fronts - Yes, at least all the tests I've done so far support that. Until she's all together and sitting on the full weight and I run the steering lock to lock I reserver judgement.

Rears - No ... The stepside fender fits about a 10.5" wide tire (sidewall bulge to sidewall bulge with a little room) so I had to cut the bedsides to fit the tire I'm running (~12" wide) as I want the tire to be able to tuck. If I didn't want to tuck I could have gone with a different backspace but then the wheel would have stuck out more than I like.

Paint for the small stuff - I've been using the same exact stuff you linked, VHT epoxy satin black. I like the color and it seems to hold up pretty well if you follow the prep and application guidelines. So I'd say we have had the same experience. And for the rest wondering, this stuff is actually expensive. The can only covers ~14 sq ft if you're lucky. I've gone through a lot of cans.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #206
beaterku

Where did you get the large grommet if you don’t mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_c10 View Post
Also got the ECU engine harness completed and installed. I re-routed the wiring and came up with my own branch scheme. Got it all taped up then all wrapped up in Classic Braid from Painless Performance. That stuff looks really good. The only drawback is the kit I ordered (chassis pack) doesn't include nearly enough self vulcanizing tape (used to wrap the joints in the branches) but I guess they don't count on you wrapping an engine harness and a vehicle harness.

Here's the harness after re-routing, prior to getting wrapped. For the record, I officially hate the universal harness after going through this process. Where I have the ECU I have almost 4 ft of excess harness to contend with, yet I'm still super tight on one branch due to the lengths being already terminated. If I had this to do over again I'd get an unterminated harness, but I went ahead and got the harness with the ECU. Probably works for most people and makes their life easier, but for guys like me it drove me up the wall. Oh well. It's done. It's installed for now. It may get yanked in the future.
Attachment 1689180

Little closer shot showing all the branches. For reference, I really only need about 1' of trunk vs the 5'+ shown above.
Attachment 1689181

Here's that giant grommet again, this time on the harness. Nope I didn't cut the grommet and the connectors are all larger than the 1" center hole and it doesn't stretch enough to clear the connectors even after 10+ min in boiling water. So yep, I wound up removing all the wires from each of the ECU connectors. I of course have them all in a spreadsheet by pin, wire color and function so it didn't bother me, but I still only did one connector at a time.
Attachment 1689182

Here's the harness all wrapped up. Way too long and I even have some wires in a loop they were so long. Live and learn.
Attachment 1689183

A close up of a couple branches.
Attachment 1689184
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #207
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
Where did you get the large grommet if you don’t mind me asking?
Hey beaterku, no worries on asking, I'm happy to help. Turns out, that giant grommet was in the Holley LS EFI package I'm using. I hadn't paid any attention and was digging through the pile of crap on my bench and came across it and was like "hmm, I ought to try this thing since I have it" and at the time I had no clue where I had got it from. I did a quick scan on the Holley website and didn't see anything similar sold separately, but you might be able to give them a ring and see if they can tell you where they get it, reference P/N 550-612. I was looking at various options from seals-it if I hadn't come across this one (since I had no clue I had it) or it didn't work out.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #208
beaterku

Thank you for the information! The build looks great by the way!

Quote:
Hey beaterku, no worries on asking, I'm happy to help. Turns out, that giant grommet was in the Holley LS EFI package I'm using. I hadn't paid any attention and was digging through the pile of crap on my bench and came across it and was like "hmm, I ought to try this thing since I have it" and at the time I had no clue where I had got it from. I did a quick scan on the Holley website and didn't see anything similar sold separately, but you might be able to give them a ring and see if they can tell you where they get it, reference P/N 550-612. I was looking at various options from seals-it if I hadn't come across this one (since I had no clue I had it) or it didn't work out.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #209
crakarjax

Quote:
Paint for the small stuff - I've been using the same exact stuff you linked, VHT epoxy satin black. I like the color and it seems to hold up pretty well if you follow the prep and application guidelines. So I'd say we have had the same experience. And for the rest wondering, this stuff is actually expensive. The can only covers ~14 sq ft if you're lucky. I've gone through a lot of cans.
Good to know I'm on the right track... they have a 6-pack of VHT with significantly lower cost per can, but yeah it gets pricey. Well worth it in my opinion though, since it doesn't require primer!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #210
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
Thank you for the information! The build looks great by the way!
You're welcome and Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Good to know I'm on the right track... they have a 6-pack of VHT with significantly lower cost per can, but yeah it gets pricey. Well worth it in my opinion though, since it doesn't require primer!
Yep! That's what I like most is no primer. Just clean up the surface and spray away!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #211
SCOTI

Quote:
You're welcome and Thanks!

Yep! That's what I like most is no primer. Just clean up the surface and spray away!
VHT Epoxy Satin Black has the same sheen as the 'old school' Krylon Satin black (before they changed the formula). Beware though.... It does not like it if you don't follow directions (specifically the re-coat time line). That's the only thing I dislike about it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #212
kxmotox247

Thank you for the tremendous amount of detail on this build. I picked up my NoLimit chassis last week and will begin setting up the sheetmetal shortly.

What body mounts did you go with? I ordered an Energy Suspension kit and the body mount cushions don't drop into the frame tabs. Did you have to wallow out your body mount holes?
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #213
1971_c10

Hey Guys ... sorry for the lack of updates. It's been a busy time at work and I've only been hitting the truck on weekends. Then this week on Tuesday I lost my shop dog to acute kidney failure. She was only 11. It's been a tough Thanksgiving for sure. Trying to get back to normal activities.

Name:  IMG_0818.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2516.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 11-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #214
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
Thank you for the tremendous amount of detail on this build. I picked up my NoLimit chassis last week and will begin setting up the sheetmetal shortly.

What body mounts did you go with? I ordered an Energy Suspension kit and the body mount cushions don't drop into the frame tabs. Did you have to wallow out your body mount holes?
I went with same as you, energy suspension. I had a set on that was about 10 years old and just replaced with the same.

And yes sir, me and the die grinder had to nibble away at the body mounts on the chassis. I just nibbled away until they would barely slide in there (only needed to do the front/back of the hole). Then shot some of that epoxy rattle can stuff earlier in the thread on the exposed steel.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #215
1971_c10

In my absence here I did put together a video discussing the potential need for a cab notch on the No Limit chassis. It's posted over on the truck's youtube page so here's a link:

Old 11-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #216
kxmotox247

Quote:
I went with same as you, energy suspension. I had a set on that was about 10 years old and just replaced with the same.

And yes sir, me and the die grinder had to nibble away at the body mounts on the chassis. I just nibbled away until they would barely slide in there (only needed to do the front/back of the hole). Then shot some of that epoxy rattle can stuff earlier in the thread on the exposed steel.
Thanks. I figured I couldn't be the only one. I went back thru your photos and most of the shots had the cab cushions still sitting on the mounts. Doesn't look like much material will need to be removed.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #217
smbrouss70

Sorry to hear about your shop dog, she looks like she was a good one. It's always hard to lose such a loyal friend.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #218
nlped

I truly hate to hear about the loss of your pooch. My shop dogs always make my time in the shop a little bit better.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #219
knomadd

Sorry to hear about your shop dog. I went through that a couple years back. One of the hardest days of my adult life.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #220
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Sorry to hear about you shop dog - that is always such a tough loss. I'd be torn up if my little 4 legged buddy wasn't around.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #221
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Sorry to hear about your shop dog, she looks like she was a good one. It's always hard to lose such a loyal friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
I truly hate to hear about the loss of your pooch. My shop dogs always make my time in the shop a little bit better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Sorry to hear about your shop dog. I went through that a couple years back. One of the hardest days of my adult life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
Sorry to hear about you shop dog - that is always such a tough loss. I'd be torn up if my little 4 legged buddy wasn't around.
Thanks guys... She was my girl, my 80lb yellow bundle of joy. She loved hanging out with me, playing in the snow and she guarded the shop. It was a tough loss for sure. Since then, I've not been doing much on any social media lately and working on some Christmas projects to keep my mind occupied. Slowly getting some motivation back for the truck but the cold weather isn't helping!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #222
1971_c10

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Let me try and catch you guys up. I left off above with the gauge cluster wiring. That's all been completed. I also tackled the interior wiring and got that all completed and ready for testing. The interior wiring has been ohmed out so the remaining testing is putting some voltage into the wiring and making sure it is going where it is supposed to before I plug in all that fancy electronic equipment.

Here's a shot showing a mostly finished wiring on the gauges. It is all done now, but for some reason I don't have a pic just yet even thought it's been done for a while.
Name:  IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  97.3 KB

Showing the gauges set in place for a quick look update.
Name:  IMG_2860.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  66.1 KB

Oh custom wiring ... Doesn't bother me, but it sure is a mess.
Name:  IMG_2928.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  101.5 KB

Lot's of integration to get done with the ECU.
Name:  IMG_2833.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  98.5 KB

Connectors installed on the ECU-vehicle integration wires. Currently 31 circuits integrate to the vehicle.
Name:  IMG_2901.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  90.6 KB

Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #223
rob32472

Your build looks great.Question: I am using the no limit chassis with an ls3 swap, what headers will work?
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #224
Ramjet51

Chris....is that a Simpson 260???
Old 01-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #225
1971_c10

Continuing with the ECU wiring, here's the other half of the connectors wired up. The bundles all then went somewhere in the truck. By somewhere, either to switches that aren't mounted just yet, or to the bulk head connector behind the fuse block and out to the engine compartment, to the gauges or idiot lights.

One thing I love about the Autometer elite is that most of them have data logging output. So I'm sending the vehicle speed, coolant temp, trans temp and oil pressure over to the ECU. The ECU is sending the tach signal back. For the coolant temp, the ECU measures temp in the driver side cylinder head and the gauge in the passenger side cylinder head. So by passing the gauge to the ECU, I'll have both cylinder head temps in the ECU and data logs. I also sent fuel level into the ECU to play with and see what use it might be as there is no smoothing on that signal so it is really only good for static level checks but I can apply math in the ECU and calculate gallons. I'm then using the other signals to manage the fans (2 on the radiator, one on the trans air cooler).
Name:  IMG_2907.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  88.6 KB

Getting busy behind the gauges.
Name:  IMG_2934.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  50.3 KB

Going behind the AC duct ... A mini power distribution center in the cab above the fuse block. Advancing from 1971 electronics to 2017 electronics meant adding a bunch of additional circuit management. So I'll have the fuse block, the interior power distribution and another power distribution in the engine compartment I'll show you in a couple posts. To summarize, there are five relays in use, 1 mini relay (the big one) and 4 micro relays (1 is on the far left behind the headlight switch). I also have 2 spare slots for relays for "future growth".
Name:  IMG_2935.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  47.5 KB

And last a shot of the fuse block after everything has been completed and all the slots in the bulkhead connector have been filled. I literally have no more room. Anything new is going to need a 3rd pass through location.
Name:  IMG_2937.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  63.1 KB