The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
LONG 2B LOW

Swapping vin plates?

Ok so about 1 1/2 years ago I rolled my 99 and have since been rebuilding, it up to this point I really havent had many snags except one. I still hold my original title and the vin on the cab obviously doesn't match. I don't want to use the vin on the new cab and would like to know if there are legal hoops I can jump through to use my pld vin. So far my search has turned up nothing but if anyone knows anything your advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
ChevyMutt

Re: Swapping vin plates?

Depends on the State you are registering in. In MO you can get a special construction title with a newly created VIN & special VIN plate. BUT, to do that you have to have a bill of sale and receipts for everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING. I've heard horror stories of having to show receipts for nuts & bolts... But again, it varies by State.
Originally built by my Dad & Brother in late 90's early 00's. I bought the truck in summer of 11; dad & brother put new box sides on, and surprised me with a new paint job. Jan of 12 the float stuck in the carb and she burned... The truck is back in MI now and being re-built AGAIN by my Dad & Brother.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...8633&protype=1
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

In Texas, you assemble the truck and a state trooper inspects it. He looks at any pictures you've taken along the way and the paperwork you got with the new cab. Then he runs the cab VIN and the wrecked truck VIN and if all is good, he issues you a new VIN which is a decal.

It's a common process, but around here, you have to call ahead because they only do the process on certain days of the week, so you need to make an appointment.

As vehicles have gotten so expensive over the years, many more are now getting repaired instead of totaled which means this process is quite common. I remember a few years ago I was visiting my buddy at the local dealership. The guys were putting an entirely new GM frame under a crashed Denali. I was stunned to see so much stuff strewn all over the place. The tech said it was like a 40 hour job to do the swap. But, on a 55k dollar truck, that's not too bad to do a good repair.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
lazerstrouts

The newer cars and trucks have special rivets that hold the vin plate on. In nebraska and iowa if you swap vins without telling the dmv and you get pulled over or you switch states you will end up without a truck. Just like texas they want a bill of sale for cab or chassis and a title for the other. Trooper looks it over runs the numbers and make sure everything is good and then issues an aluminum stamped vin plate and attaches it to the cowl or door jamb. It will have NE at the end or beginning. Not a big deal as long as you have the proof of purchase for the parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

As others have said, Contact your state DMV or State patrol. They will have the correct answer for your state.

LSx Swap FAQ index
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
LONG 2B LOW

Thank you for the advice everyone, it's is much appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Swapping VIN tags is 50 state illegal and cannot be condoned on the site
Closed Thread