The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
78customdeluxe

new to these trucks with questions

as many of you people know alot of people have these just sitting out in weeds, well my grandfather has i think its either a 1947 or 48 chevy 1 1/2 ton sittin out back of the barn. been there since the early 70s. the cab floor and corners are rusted but i think repairable. it has the 5+2 or 4+2 transmission not froze up. he sold the engine when he put it out to pasture. i have a 350 that i could put in it that already has a clutch and bellhouseing for a manual. would the older transmission bolt up to the newer engine? its a 1978. its missing the hood and he said its around somewhere but i cant find it though. the front fenders just have surfice rust on them that i remember but i havent saw the truck since last may when we planted out at his place. i know it sounds kinda stupid but i wanna keep the original front axle and brake system because it has a 12 foot bed on it and ill put a flatbed on it then. none of the windows are broke out but they are cracked some. are the windows flat glass or do they have some curve to them? if they are flat then does anyone have a template that they could send me so i could have the local hardware store cut me new windows for it? i know these are good forums here but does anyone have any other forums that i could post in? also does anyone know where i could get parts for it? cataloges ect... if you need anymore information just ask, or can help me it would be grately appriciated. thanks
1970 CST10(parting out and partial donor for the '70 C30)
2000 GMC 1500 ext cab sb, z71, 5.3 loaded auto
78customdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
dubie

right here buddy

http://www.stovebolt.com/

The guys over there know EVERYTHING about this era of truck. Just do the free registration, click on forums and GO. Let us know how it all turns out

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Dubie's right about the Stovebolt board. I can answer some of your questions either here or there.

Tranny - If it's original, it will be a 4 speed SM420, reverse is to the left and down. Bolt pattern is the same as the later 4 speed boxes that were attached to the 350.

Brakes - The truck should have Huck brakes, which are getting hard to find parts for. Some of the guys at stovebolt have switched to Bendix, all you have to do is get the assembly with backing plate from a 51 or newer truck.

Glass - It's all flat, take your windows to an automotive glass shop, they can cut you new ones. Don't put in glass from a hardware store. It's not safe because it's not laminated, and it's also not the proper thickness and won't fit in your gaskets.

Parts - At the Stovebolt pages, there are links to some good vendors. I have had good results with GMC Pauls and Bowtie Bits, both are very honest and reliable. Also, get the factory service manual, it has a wealth of info. The factory assembly manual can help too, it has drawings showing how to put all the pieces together, where the wire bundles and tubes are routed, and that kind of stuff.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
TATE228

for the rear suspention you may want to replace it. Correct me if i'm wrong but the 47-49's had lever rear suspention. you may want to get a leaf spring setup for it. as for the front i havent yet got a strait awnser on a sbc fitting in a AD pickup.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
Blue Beard

Welcome from SW Washington State...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote