The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #301
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSM 70 C20 View Post
I could look at you pictures all day. Right up until the boss asks me to box up my desk and go home...
Great pictures, looks like a lot of travel. You even get up towards my neck of the woods!
None of these pics are worth losing a job over. Get back to work! My first territory was the Fargo/Grand forks area all the way to the Canadian border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks HG nice pics and some cool cars but the selfie you look like a terrorist. ..LOL
Hmmm. No self respecting terrorist would put up with this weather. Have to be crazier than that! That's my snow blowing outfit minus the coat. Not a bomb blowing outfit.

Is this one better?

The neighbors call me Wilson.

I have more pics from last week to load up. Here's an Olds Dynamic 88 for sale in Arlington, SD I think...

Look how they tucked that bumper into the fender. Pretty sweet.

Then in Volga, SD there was a shop that seemed to specialize in mopar products. I can dig the old ram chargers, an the COE is cool. Not really a fan of the old dodge cars though. Just my opinion, but I think their designers were not so good. The body shapes and lines just don't look good on most of their cars. The trucks were even worse. It's good that somebody loves them though.

Then I was back in MN. A friend of mine told me there was a place in Tyler that specialized in old Fords, and I wanted to check it out. I didn't know where it was so I stopped at the first auto shop I saw and asked them. They told me where to go, in a good friendly manner but I liked the flat fender they had in the snowbank too...

More pics coming...
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #302
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Yeah Wilson isn't as bad.... I forget that your snow is a lot colder than ours...keep the pics coming

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #303
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Found the place I was looking for. Ford heaven really. Or maybe purgatory because these are not pristine autos, but parts or project cars mostly. Although it was hard to tell exactly whats here with everything buried in the snow. My reason for looking was that I want a 69 sport roof mustang. So I wanted to see what he had available. And as my regular followers on this thread know, I like old T-birds too.

This was the best 69 sport roof he had. He's asking $10k for it. This 1 is kinda special in that it's not badged as a Mustang. Ford built it for export to Germany and there was another makers Mustang already on the market there, so ford badged the export cars as a T-5. This probably belonged to a military guy that had it shipped there then brought it back home with him. It's a good project car.

T-5

65 fastback I think

After looking around there, I had 1 more planned stop to make. About 10 years ago I was at a body shop in Balaton, MN and found that the owner had a small collection of 67-72 Chevy truck parts out back. It was warm when I was there that time. Not so much this time. I just wanted to see if the trucks were still there and what exactly they were. I waddled my way through waist deep snow and they were still there. Nothing real special about them, but lots of good parts available and each is probably restorable for the right buyer. They can be had for probably $400 each for anyone interested. He wants to sell them.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #304
Indian113

I would so love to have that 65 fastback. I also like that F1 sticking it's nose out in that one picture. They look real good with a 3 inch chop.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #305
flashed

I see so many things in that last set of pics that I would love to have .Must be nice to have junk yards (gold mines) like that ,we have nothing .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #306
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
I would so love to have that 65 fastback. I also like that F1 sticking it's nose out in that one picture. They look real good with a 3 inch chop.
Here's another pick of the fastback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I see so many things in that last set of pics that I would love to have .Must be nice to have junk yards (gold mines) like that ,we have nothing .
I'd bet there are places just like this in your neck of the woods. The trouble is finding them.

Here's a few more pics that I pulled out of my phone. A square body behind the welding shop in Lake Norden...

Cougar...

A cutlass that was with the trucks behind the body shop...

Mustang convertible...

Guitar center bathroom sign...
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #307
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This next batch was at a dealership in White Bear Lake. A pair of Boss mustangs...

A Roush supercharged 427R mustang...

Pretty sweet drop top bmw...

I'd drive it.

In Le Sueur, MN...

Picked up more garage wall art...

These are new style high efficiency hot water heating boilers. Each one is the size of a large suitcase and puts out almost 400,000 btu/hr, which is enough to replace an older boiler that is the size of a VW bug.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #308
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Had to work Sunday and thought this snow drift in the tree line looked pretty cool.

Yesterday I went to St Cloud to inspect air tanks at a foundry. They cast a lot of car parts, like these...

But they also do a lot of axle pumpkins. I think mainly for Dana and Dodge. Looking down one of the lines.

This is an induction furnace. Basically there is a high voltage charge across a couple poles that create the heat to melt the steel ingots. Back behind there is a room with about 20 MW of power transformers.

This cauldron takes the melted steel from the furnace and pours it into a portable one on the forklift.

The forklift is holding a container that takes the molten steel from the furnace and will take it to the casting line where it is poured into the sand molds.

These are cores of axle housings to be used to make the sand molds. They are also made of a sand, but it's different and is compacted.

These are fresh castings of the axle housings just after they are shaken out of the molds. There are huge shaker tables and tumblers that knock off the casting sand.

These are ones that are cleaned p and just need to go to get flashing cleaned off, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #309
Indian113

Thanks for the extra shot of that Beautiful Mustang! I'm a solid Chevy guy but I really love the 65-66 Fastbacks. I had a friend that brought a 66 Shelby home when he mustered out of the Navy in 69. Thanks again, Your pictures really have brought a lot of enjoyment to this site.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #310
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks for the pics...you get to see some interesting stuff...the foundry is cool...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #311
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Thanks for the extra shot of that Beautiful Mustang! I'm a solid Chevy guy but I really love the 65-66 Fastbacks. I had a friend that brought a 66 Shelby home when he mustered out of the Navy in 69. Thanks again, Your pictures really have brought a lot of enjoyment to this site.
Thanks for saying so. Glad to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks for the pics...you get to see some interesting stuff...the foundry is cool...
You're welcome, but it's been slow for a while lately. But I have a few random things to bring this back from the dead.

Have to apologize for the pic quality. Some were taken with my old cell phone which had a scratched up lens cover. But we're not making post cards out of these anyway, so here goes...

I was driving SW of Minneapolis in the suburbs and this rolled by. Yes, Santa was driving the van. It does have a hitch, so I'm guessing it's the off season sled puller.

I went through Blue Earth, MN last week and figured even a fuzzy pic of the Green Giant was worth posting...

This square body is on a farm about 15 miles NW of me...

I've posted pics from sport wheels in the past. You know, the bike junkyard. Anyway, a couple miles S of there is what I believe the original sport wheel shop and maybe just a residence now. But if you cruise US 169 north of Jordan you will see it. I love the old school graphics on the building.

Here's a better pic of what's in the window. Wood carving/model of a bike...

Last week a vintage snowmobile group was in town. They stopped at the bar so I stopped and got a few pics. Here's a Johnson Skee Horse...

A pair of Scorpion Sidewinders...

Evinrude...

Arctic Cat Lynx and El Tigre...

I was reading my Hot Rod magazine today and there was an article about a mini bike. I've got 1 so I pulled it out of the shed. It was frozen to the ground, we still have lots of snow, but whatever. It hasn't run in a few years. I replaced the rotted fuel line, put some new gas in it and it fired on the 3rd pull.

Hell yeah I took it for a ride!

And yesterday it was about 55F and the roads were dry, so I went for a much needed ride in the C-10.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #312
flashed

And more great pics ,thanks for sharing .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #313
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Either you have HUGE hands, or that mini bike was designed for a 3 year old LOL!

Thanks for the photos, always good to see the results of your roaming and read your commentary. How did I ever miss the Jolly Green Giant in Blue Earth, I've been thru there a couple/3 times?

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #314
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
And more great pics ,thanks for sharing .
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Either you have HUGE hands, or that mini bike was designed for a 3 year old LOL!

Thanks for the photos, always good to see the results of your roaming and read your commentary. How did I ever miss the Jolly Green Giant in Blue Earth, I've been thru there a couple/3 times?
My hands are average size, but the gloves are insulated so a little bigger than normal. I'm 5' 11" and 234 and can ride the minibike comfortably. I got the minibike at a garage sale several years ago. I had another weekend inspection up north and stopped at this sale along the way. I got the bike for $200. It ran, but was missing the muffler and the shocks (can hardly call them that, just a tube in a tube with a spring) were rusted into immobility. I got it to fit in the trunk of my car.

I took it all apart, got the shocks broke loose. Had the frame and a few other parts powder coated. Painted the rest. Made the exhaust out of leftover pipe fittings I had around. Replaced the drive sprocket with 1 that had 1 more tooth to bump the top speed a bit. Got the brakes to work and let the kids have some fun.

Now I'm thinking of going to sport wheels to find a cool old gas tank, fabbing some proper shock mounts for the rear and see what I can do for the front end. Re-do the seat, build a better looking side cover and see if I can maybe do some cool and funky with this little toy. How about a mini cafe racer?

Going to look at a 79 Mazda RX-7 tomorrow. The boys blazer has a rod knock and isn't worth it (to us) to repair. He wants a small car with better gas mileage. And cheap don't hurt either. The character selling this car sounds like he may have some other things to look at too so I'll bring my camera and maybe bring the kid home with a cool little go kart with a wankel drive too.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #315
Low Elco

An LS goes right into that roller skate. Love the minibike.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #316
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
An LS goes right into that roller skate. Love the minibike.
I don't wanna even think about an LS swap in there. Dammmm!

Saturday we looked at the RX. Basically a barn find. Turns out its a low mileage (63k) solid car with bad tires and extremely bad paint. Got it running and it moved under it's own power. Has an auto and AC (which has no belt on the compressor). It hasn't been licensed or registered since 2001 or 2.

The boy changed his tune about wanting it once he sat in it though. The safety and reliability concerns we talked about sunk in when he sat in it and his shoulder was rubbing the door glass. As he said "if a car hits me in the side I'm dead" and after last weeks tragedy, it's on his mind a bit more now.

So we left with out buying it.

But the story doesn't end there.

This old 3 wheeler was in the same machine shed...

The seller is a long time gear head and the 1st car we saw was this 66 Impala convertible...

But his prize possession was this Super Bee, 440 6 pack. Fiberglass hood.

G force gauge, or accelerometer, never seen 1 before...

And he had this old pop machine he wanted to get rid of too...

That was Saturday. There are other newer cars the boy and I will be looking at. But I kept thinking about the RX and that it would make a fun toy to play with, fix it up with my growing skills and maybe make a few bucks flipping it. I did some research on them, and I think it's doable, sooooooo...

I went back today and bought it. We took it for a test drive and it desperately needs tires and possibly some front suspension work to get rid of the shakes. I will do a build thread on the alternative section of the board once I get started. Being a sunday I wasn't able to get all the cash together I needed so I will get the car home tomorrow after work. I got it for a great price though. I couldn't find any rust. Crossing my fingers on that until I get a good look underneath. The plan for now is just clean it up, fix what's broke, paint it, find a buyer.

And I also got the pop machine. For now it will keep beer cold in my basement.

Here's the parting shot though. While I was in New Ulm today I found a pretty sweet GMC COE that would make a great car hauler for somebody. Not me, I already have something for that use that I hope to get home this summer.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #317
Ta2Don

Nice collection...

Good Score on the Pop Machine...

COE...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #318
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Very brief update. Here's a winter beater. Well, it's a summer beater too. Heck of a beater.

I got the RX home, no issues. I found a set of tires today also. Will get them mounted and balanced tomorrow. Will also get it registered and insured so I can start beating around in it ASAP. Build thread here...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=621031
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #319
Low Elco

Hmmm.... bad paint, you say.... wonder who can fix that? Neat little car. I want a pop machine, but no room.

What's the kid gonna do?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #320
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Hmmm.... bad paint, you say.... wonder who can fix that? Neat little car. I want a pop machine, but no room.

What's the kid gonna do?
What's the kid gonna do about what? For a driver we are still looking. On this he can help sand and clean and learn some more. He is planning to go to auto body/auto mechanics school at the vo-tech school in Mankato next fall. 90 mile round trip everyday, need something reliable and economical. We have a few to look at later. After we talk to the bank. He's 18 now, time to be a man and go into debt.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #321
Low Elco

That's what I meant. The whole RX adventure started to get a ride for him. Hope he enjoys the school. The RX will be a good intro to that deal. Have you talked to your buddies at the body shop, maybe they need a shop kid?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #322
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
That's what I meant. The whole RX adventure started to get a ride for him. Hope he enjoys the school. The RX will be a good intro to that deal. Have you talked to your buddies at the body shop, maybe they need a shop kid?
I have a couple things to say that directly relate to your post. As I said, still looking for a ride for the boy. I was at the body shop this morning (not scrounging for a job for the kid, just BS'ing) and the owners son was talking about a grand am he looked at last night but he didn't really want it, etc. etc. Then he said he wouldn't be able to make enough money off it to make it worth his time. Just $2500.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding..

Right in our price range. So we talked some more. I told him we were going to talk to the bank when the kid got out of school and I'd let him know what's up after that. Well the bank was fine with the kid getting a loan as long as I was a co-signer, as expected. The kids growing up, getting a check card and some debt to push him into the evil ways of adulthood.

Went back to Jeff (body shop kid) and he called the guy with the grand am. We can see it in Mankato, but hafta hit the road. Along the way we get the whole story. Jeff has a little SUV he fixed up and has been trying to sell. Last night he gets an interested buyer but they want to trade the grand am as part of the deal. Jeff didn't want the grand am. Its a 2004 with about 106k miles. Some body blems, but nothing severe. If we like the car, Jeff will accept it as trade, he flips it to us and everyone gets what they want. From what I've been seeing, $3000 cars have been about 2000-2002 vintage with around 180k miles on them. So we are getting a pretty good deal. Should get all the trades done friday.

As for the RX, I'm hoping I have it done and sold this summer. The kid can learn some more. Like how bad sanding sucks. And he can use his new car to experiment on in school next year. It has some minor rust bubbles on the door edges and needs the bumper cover repainted. And if the RX is sold maybe I will have the next flip project around for him to mess with.

I know this post is kinda hijacking my own thread, but it's just a few posts. Will get back to our regularly scheduled programming in just a bit.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #323
Low Elco

I enjoy the "life as it happens" part of any thread. It's always neat when stuff works out for a change. Looks like a solid little car for him. Stoked to see the RX cleanup.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #324
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today I went to Marshall, then Montevideo and back home. Here are a few things I saw along the way.

Here's a 57 4 door chevy project from Montevideo.

Clark field is the town with that guy that has all the early to mid 60's chevy trucks. Here's 1 of the town fire dept rigs. I think it used to be a military version based on the bracket on the side.

This square body was at a repair shop in the same town...

Next to it was this Z car. He said he recently sold it on ebay but the buyer hasn't picked it up yet.

Someones old racing set up was pulled out of a barn and is on a dealer lot in Montevideo. Wonder if they just have it parked there or if they are selling it.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #325
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time for an update. Last week I was in western Iowa and around Omaha for a couple days. Here's some pics from along the way. The first set is from a towing business SW of Dennison, IA on Hwy 30. The business seems to be running out of a barn and the owner has signs and old cars all over the place. He wasn't around to chat with. I wonder what he's got inside that barn.

I had more pics from this place on my camera, but someone stole it and my mp3 player out of my car sometime over the past couple days. I should've locked it up. The mp3 player is no biggie, it was probably 6 yrs old and all the music is on my pc. The camera hurts a bit more. It was a few years old and another like it still costs over $120. The newer model of the same camera is about $280 - 400 depending on which one you get.

Anyway, back to the road trip. I continued to Missouri Valley, IA for the nights stay. I had some free time, so I wandered a bit and saw a sign for a steam train display. It's not really open yet, but I talked my way inside. It's run by the city parks dept and the guy that takes care of it was more than happy to share his stories.

It's called Watson Station, and I think it was named after the guy that originally built it and ran it for many years. You can see part of the track it runs on, but they told me it used to go out into the park on the other side of the building quite a ways but a flood took it out a couple years ago. You can also see a miniature boiler on a stand to the left...

This is from the original mini train that was built in 1954. It just corroded and needed replaced.

See the holes cut into it? Of course I did a quick inspection.

Look at all that scale and rust. It was in tough shape. Anything is repairable, but they said it was cheaper to replace it rather than repair it. When you see the scale fill the gap between the tubes, that's called bridging and it's very bad. There is no water that can reach those areas of the tubes to remove heat, so the steel gets very hot in those areas and gets weak and brittle. That's how tube ruptures happen. Those can be bad but not as catastrophic as the crown sheet rupturing.

In the pic above it is actually turned and the left side is the top. The crown sheet is the flat area above (left) of the tubes entering the tubesheet. The flat bar from the crown sheet to the outer shell is for reinforcing the crown sheet. The other side (under) the crown sheet is where the fire is. So if the water lever drops to expose the crown sheet, it over heats. If it gets past red hot it it severely compromised. If water is reintroduced and hits that red hot steel, it expands like a bomb and that my friends is how a locomotive boiler explodes. The expansion of water to steam is something like 1850 times the volume. So flashing just 1 cubic foot of water will create 1850 cubic feet of steam at the same temp/press.

A closer look at the crown sheet...

That's enough learning for tonight.

Inside the building is where the trains are kept. You can rent the space for $100 for a couple hours and run the train as much as you want. Pretty sweet deal I think. This one is powered by a gas engine.

GM alternator

The cars...

The steamer...

Looking into the firebox, and it is actually coal fired. Not brickets like for your grill, but coal like for a real scale boiler.

The crown sheet we talked about is the top of the firebox.

The silver and red engine is also gas powered. He says it's a piece of junk though. The engine in it is too big and it ruins the wheels and other parts too quickly. They can barely take it off idle without problems.

Some of the displays...

Square body stepper in there

I got out of order a bit here. On the east side of town, as I was driving in I spotted some old iron behind a shed up the hill. The house recently burned to the ground. I hope everyone was ok. But here's what was out back...

The hotel I stayed at has a diner next door. The diner is where you check into the hotel.

At night...

If you go to a diner with a soda shoppe you are required to get a fresh scooped shake or malt. It's in the rules.

That's about it for day 1. I got on craigslist and found some RX7 parts and bought an alternator for $20. The next day I was in Blaire, NE and then went to Omaha. Will post a few more pics on that later. This is the bulk of them though, so enjoy.