The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2023, 01:49 AM   #1
D-n-Tyke

Fuel line routing to fuel rail?

Getting ready to finish running the fuel line in my suburban. Line is currently running down the passenger frame rail. I have a 3/8 hard line currently run up the frame rail just about to the where the frame starts bending up towards the front suspension. What I am trying to figure out is how far up from the frame to run the hard line and then transition it to AN rubber line.

How are you guys running your lines? Anyone have pictures of how they have their lines run up feom the frame to thier fuel rail?
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Fuel line routing to fuel rail?

If you have it to that point on the frame, that's where I'd go from, much easier to access it there..I used steelbraided line and -an fittings on mine, but I ran the whole length from pump with it..
Just do yours where it's easy to get to the transition

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:43 PM   #3
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
If you have it to that point on the frame, that's where I'd go from, much easier to access it there..I used steelbraided line and -an fittings on mine, but I ran the whole length from pump with it..
Just do yours where it's easy to get to the transition
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that is what I am trying to plan/figure out, is how far up off the frame to bring the hard line before transitioning. The motor trans aren't currently installed so I don't really know what obstacles I need to avoid in my routing.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I think you'll be good to just go from where your hard line is now..
the LS and trans won't take up any more room than a smallblock and trans, so if your away from your trans crossmember and motor mounts it'll be fine

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:39 PM   #5
LS short box

I didn't do the hard line I ran -6 front to back. In the pic of my 68 you can see the -6 coming off the fuel rail and heading down to the frame rail. I typically go 12-18" down the frame and make my splice there.
Just a note when you connect the -6 to the fuel make sure you use a -6 fitting that has the nut that mechanically holds the -6 fitting to the fuel rail. No plastic clip type retainers.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:16 AM   #6
A1971Blazer

Front and rear view
3/8" steel line in the frame rail, braided Teflon to regulator
Name:  IMG_0727.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0728.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0730.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  63.8 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #7
D-n-Tyke

Thanks for the pictures guys. It helps me with ideas for the transition. I am running an LQ4 out of a suburban which has the fuel rail pointing to the rear so my line has to go over the back of the motor/bell housing. My main concern I guess is the transition over the headers. Don't want to have those make contact, that was the reason I was thinking of possibly running the hard line up higher. Maybe I will just secure the flex line to the firewall as it runs over the headers.

Also thanks for the advise on the fuel rail connection. Yep, I bought the AN fitting with the mechanical backing nut to secure it to the fuel rail nipple.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:27 PM   #8
Jason Banks

A1971Blazer, I slightly regretted putting my fuel filter where you have yours when I got to doing my exhaust system. Since my truck is lowered and has a notch, I didn't have much clearance and the exhaust ended up very close to the fuel filter.

I ended up making a 'heat shield' to go over the filter that bolts on that crossmember in front of the tank. Maybe not necessary...
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:41 PM   #9
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
A1971Blazer, I slightly regretted putting my fuel filter where you have yours when I got to doing my exhaust system. Since my truck is lowered and has a notch, I didn't have much clearance and the exhaust ended up very close to the fuel filter.

I ended up making a 'heat shield' to go over the filter that bolts on that crossmember in front of the tank. Maybe not necessary...
I had it in the frame rail up near the engine at first, but when I added the frame brace, it was underneath it. I went round and round about where to move it to.

In the end, I ended up with it there because I thought it would be the easiest place to get to it when it came time to change it.
With the QA1 rear suspension I'm not sure if I'll even be able to run the exhaust over and out the back...?

For now, I have it dumping in front of the axle....not where I wanted it but hopefully once the ride height is set and everything is in it's final spot, I can take it over and out the back.
It's hard to visualize where everything will be when the body and bed go on...
Thanks for the eyeball on it...!
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:38 PM   #10
Jason Banks

I have what looks like the same notch. I did get it over and out the back. It is super close to the bottom of my wood floor and I ended up wrapping the tubing with 'header wrap' to try to keep it from cooking the wood.

I should have done like you and drilled through the crossmember...

Here's my picture.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:04 PM   #11
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
I have what looks like the same notch. I did get it over and out the back. It is super close to the bottom of my wood floor and I ended up wrapping the tubing with 'header wrap' to try to keep it from cooking the wood.

I should have done like you and drilled through the crossmember...

Here's my picture.
Hey Jason, do you have any pictures of how you ran your e-brake cable. I am running the same trans crossmember and the way I have the cable ran (what I think is the stock route) I am worried it is running right where the crossmember and or exhaust is going to be.

Also do you have a picture where/how your hardline transitions at the front by the motor?
Old 06-13-2023, 08:20 AM   #12
Jason Banks

I think I posted this picture of the parking brake cable somewhere else, but I made some pulleys to route the cable, because there was nowhere up in the frame for it anymore. I ordered some rollers for wire rope from mcmaster.com and plasma cut and welded the little brackets. I had to use a custom length cable, something dorman sells that has a cable and some fittings.

I didn't initially respond to your thread because you said your fuel lines run up passenger side and I ran my on drivers. You can kind of see it in this photo, but the hardlines leave the top of the frame flush with the firewall and then I just ran 12(or 16?) inch premade teflon lined hoses to the fuel rail. I have a return line from my fuel rail back, I'm not using the corvette style regulator/filter.

I'll see if I can get another picture.
Old 06-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #13
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
I think I posted this picture of the parking brake cable somewhere else, but I made some pulleys to route the cable, because there was nowhere up in the frame for it anymore. I ordered some rollers for wire rope from mcmaster.com and plasma cut and welded the little brackets. I had to use a custom length cable, something dorman sells that has a cable and some fittings.

I didn't initially respond to your thread because you said your fuel lines run up passenger side and I ran my on drivers. You can kind of see it in this photo, but the hardlines leave the top of the frame flush with the firewall and then I just ran 12(or 16?) inch premade teflon lined hoses to the fuel rail. I have a return line from my fuel rail back, I'm not using the corvette style regulator/filter.

Thanks for the picture. That is a great idea. I think I am going to have to do a similar solution. I just don't see how the stock configuration will work.

Was the dorman cable kit you got already have the stops swagged onto it? Little round balls? Or did you fabricate the length?
I can find this kit they sell, is this what you used? Dorman PN: 21119
Old 06-13-2023, 03:19 PM   #14
Jason Banks

Yes 21119 is what I used
Old 06-17-2023, 07:59 AM   #15
AussieinNC

Quote:

Perhaps its the angle of the picture, but shouldnt the small arced cable holder on the main cable be turned around the other way?
Doing so would stop the edge of the cable holder digging into the rear cable where it passes thru the holder.

Great detail on that truck, congrats!

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote