The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
StruttinSoul

Bed Liner for Protection

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone with a wood bed floor has ever sprayed the sides of their bed in bed liner, and if they have any pictures they could share? It may sound silly but this is my only pickup truck and from time to time I would like to be able to transport things in the back of it without having to worry about the paint in the box - I have a rubber mat that I lay down on the wood that's made out of recycled tires but I'm always worried about the sides so I thought maybe this would be a good solution..

Picking up things like an engine hoist to help with my transmission/transfer case swap can be troublesome when your daily driver is a car so being able to use the truck without having to worry would be nice.
StruttinSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
darrellyates

Re: Bed Liner for Protection

Look up a product called "Bed Rug". It's a closed cell polypropylene backed material that is a cross between carpeting and flocking. The make it to use instead of a bed liner. It's soft, and things don't slide around on it. Also, it's nearly impossible to scratch paint with the backing. I won't say impossible, but it protects very well. Additionally, it doesn't scratch paint the way a bed mat does.

I've considered one, but I just use a blanket as the bed of my truck is mostly just for looks anyway.

I have used them in my newer trucks, and they do work very well. Just something to consider.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
sick472

This is a bit out of the box, but you could bolt/screw boards to the inner bed sides. I did this for the same reasons you mention so that items are less likely to get into the paint on the rare occasion that I haul something.
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
StruttinSoul

Yeah I was looking at bed rugs originally but haven't been able to find one that would fit the long bed on my 68'

The wood on the sides is actually an interesting idea! Did you use the same strips that you use for between the wood to attach them?
StruttinSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
This is a bit out of the box, but you could bolt/screw boards to the inner bed sides. I did this for the same reasons you mention so that items are less likely to get into the paint on the rare occasion that I haul something.
I like it!
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
dagnabbitt

I have a friend who sprayed the inner sides of his stepside, highly recommended. He replaced every panel on the truck and didn't want to do it again.

He also coated the side steps, which seems like common sense when you see it. Rest of the truck is factory blue, looks great.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
sick472

Same skid strips as the bed floor (with hidden T bolts) with button heads though the wood were necessary. I have to admit that getting the nuts and washers on the back side took some tape, ratcheting wrench, vise grips, forearm sacrificial skin, and plenty of patience, especially the high ones and the ones over the wheel well, a larger person would need to employ a skinny armed friend. I use nylock nuts which made it take a lot longer, but they shouldn't ever need retightening.

Thanks for the kudo Rufus, it took a lot of figur'n, but I think it turned out well and seems to be rather original. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it done before. The recesses in the inner sides just beg to be inlaid with wood...so I did.

I guess you could take boards with no strips and tek screw them on, down and dirty, and it would not take much effort. I did mine before the bed was assembled, I can not imagine the kinks in ones neck if they tried to nut them onto a fully assembled bed. I'm too old for that!
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote