The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
kcooper04

Cab Floor Dimensions Please

First time posting here, but I am rebuilding a 52 Suburban. Can someone measure the width of their floor where it the doors meet the cab? The floor and firewall were all rotted out and I am replacing them with new sheetmetal. One issue is that the body now appears to be torqued. The rear half sits evenly on the frame, but the front half (same as the truck cab) is shifted towards the passenger side (or the driver's side is moved in). The dimensions from frame rail to cab are different by 1.5 inches. It is affecting how the doors close and I don't have the fenders or hood on, so I want to make sure that it is correct before welding everything up. Can someone measure the total width between the door posts on the front of the cab where it meets the floor? It would also be great to get some dimensions from the door kickplate to the frame if you can get under the truck to measure. Thanks so much to anyone that can help!
kcooper04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Cab Floor Dimensions Please

This is kinda hard, I can do this on my cab right now but can you measure it the same? The overhang of metal is probably different cab to cab truck to truck.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Ok, I just measured my cab. I don't have a suburban, but you are saying the front of the cab is the same, which makes sense.

Ok, the first picture is showing how I made the first measurement laying right on the top of the rear of the seat frame, I don't know if the suburban has one like this but here you go with this measurement. We are talking windlace holder to windlace holder, 60 and 3/16 inches.

The next photo shows me using a tram to measure exactly down where the door jamb meets the floor. I put the tip right exactly as you see on the other side as well, so this is a perfect measurement of my cab. The third photo shows where I am a little better so you have a good idea. The forth is the measuring tape laying right on that tram with the distance of 57 and 3/4 inches.

And here is an "Basics of Basics" to using or making a tram and how to measure stuff like this.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...ng-319474.html

If the Photoscumbucket photos don't open for you, let me know, I have them saved and I can post them. I really need to post this here with the photos so they will be saved instead of on photoscumbucket.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

there's several burb builds here but like martin said this is tuff...2 people may measure different and no 2 trucks are the same. ....I would try to level and square the body up as best you can....get the twist out of it.....get it so the doors open and close.....you really need the front end on it and fitting... (a lot of work).if you didn't weld in crossbraces I would do that...remember you may have to move them later.some adjustment of your crossbracing may be needed....you need to have everything right before you start welding...
have you cut out the old floor and firewall yet?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

just compared martins measurements to my cab

martin............. mine
60 3/16..............61
57 3/4.............57 1/2

I also measured across the floor board from kick panel to kick panel...right where the kick panel meets the floor board at the door opening, I got 52 3/8

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
kcooper04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Ok, I just measured my cab. I don't have a suburban, but you are saying the front of the cab is the same, which makes sense.

Ok, the first picture is showing how I made the first measurement laying right on the top of the rear of the seat frame, I don't know if the suburban has one like this but here you go with this measurement. We are talking windlace holder to windlace holder, 60 and 3/16 inches.

The next photo shows me using a tram to measure exactly down where the door jamb meets the floor. I put the tip right exactly as you see on the other side as well, so this is a perfect measurement of my cab. The third photo shows where I am a little better so you have a good idea. The forth is the measuring tape laying right on that tram with the distance of 57 and 3/4 inches.

And here is an "Basics of Basics" to using or making a tram and how to measure stuff like this.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...ng-319474.html

If the Photoscumbucket photos don't open for you, let me know, I have them saved and I can post them. I really need to post this here with the photos so they will be saved instead of on photoscumbucket.

Brian
You are awesome! Those measurements line up similar to mine. Would you mind measuring the front of the cab (where the doors bolt to to the cab)? The firewall and front fender mounts were all rotted out so the front sort of flips around. If you can see or get to the frame, the measurement from the frame to the vertical part on cab (kickplate) where door closes would also be helpful. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by kcooper04; 03-11-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
kcooper04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
just compared martins measurements to my cab

martin............. mine
60 3/16..............61
57 3/4.............57 1/2

I also measured across the floor board from kick panel to kick panel...right where the kick panel meets the floor board at the door opening, I got 52 3/8
This is great! Mine rear section measures 57 1/2 (I braced it before I cut the back floor out). I couldn't brace the front and it is about an 1.5 inches wider than your measurement, so I think if I bring it closer together, the doors will shut better. Let me do some work to see if I can make it happen. Good idea also on just tacking it and then putting on front fenders/hood/etc before final welds.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooper04 View Post
You are awesome! Those measurements line up similar to mine. Would you mind measuring the front of the cab (where the doors bolt to to the cab)? The firewall and front fender mounts were all rotted out so the front sort of flips around. If you can see or get to the frame, the measurement from the frame to the vertical part on cab (kickplate) where door closes would also be helpful. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
I can do the front of the cab the same as I did the rear with the tram. I don't know what you mean with the frame to the vertical part on the cab, don't understand you will need to post photos.

Brian

Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
kcooper04

Sorry, I should have just said the door kickplate. I tried to post pictures here, so please let me know if you can see them. I am trying to find dimension between the two front door pillars and also from the door kickplate at the front door pillar to the frame (as shown in the photo).
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
mr48chev

On that your best bet and least headaches is to square it up, fit the doors making sure that the door gaps are right where you want them and then brace the daylights out of it so nothing moves before starting to replace any metal .

It doesn't matter how much you are going to replace if it isn't all lined up and squared up before you start you end up welding in more issues than you fix. Been there, done that before anyone ever showed bracing and cross bracing of a cab. That was also before the internet when the how to articles in magazines often assumed that we might know a lot more than we did.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote