The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Shinysideup

Arrow Rubber mat vs. Carpet

I've been debating pro's and cons of rubber mat vs carpet and would like to hear what ya'll think. Most all my vehicles have had carpet. Mat seems easier to clean.
How is the mat for sound deadening?
Do you have issue with loose sand blowing around with windows down?
Is the aftermarket quality any good especially for longevity?
Does the mat go all the way to the back wall under seat?
Who makes a good one?
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Rubber mat vs. Carpet

I haven't heard anything good about replacement rubber floor cover holding up. People always say the mat is easier to clean than the carpet but I disagree. First of all, the rubber looks dirty first time you get in with dirty shoes. When you go to clean you need water or something wet that you have to keep from going off the mat. Then it needs to dry. Carpet, just vacuum. Might need to shampoo every year or so, but I rarely do and carpet always looks good. In the end, what makes cleaning a floor easy are floor mats with either.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
External

I have carpet, and generic floor mats. What I really wish was that Weathertech would make some for our trucks. They make the best for almost every other vehicle out there. And they are made in the USA. Just saying this on here in case everyone jumps on that wagon and it gets done.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
jocko

my preference is for carpet with at least a close color matching period correct color rubber floor mat. I've found very few nice truck mats, but have found that the mid-60's impala floor mats are fairly close color matches for some of the truck carpet colors and they at least look correct/period in the trucks. A good resource for these mats is Impala Bob's - but I'm sure others sell them. I realize your question was about carpet vs a "floor covering rubber mat" - so, I kinda got off topic... but yes, I go carpet, and try to protect it with the throw down mats that look best in the truck. Most mats I've seen only go to the front of the seat, but there are some that cover the whole floor. My 72 has a full floor (to the tank) mat that a PO installed. It's not an original mat, the truck originally had carpet. Sorry, haven't seen a brand name anywhere on it. Personally, I have found it harder to keep the rubber mat looking nice than carpet - as counter-intuitive as that might seem.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:24 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

I prefer carpet. Although I haven't had a vehicle with a rubber mat that covers the entire floor, it seems to me that carpet would be lot easier to clean. If sound deadening is important to you, ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) also makes carpet with mass backing and has carpet that extends to the back of the cab if you have removed your gas tank. They also make carpeted mats to protect the carpet. ACC carpet is sold by Stock Interiors (https://stockinteriors.com/) and Rock Auto as well as many others. You can get samples from Stock Interiors at no charge, but their prices are higher than Rock Auto. Acc is also available in 80/20 loop (original type and probably the least durable), nylon loop or plush.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 12-18-2018 at 01:31 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I prefer the factory style rubber floor mats. I have had no problems with the reproduction mats. My last three drivers have been 4x4's, last two had mats, loved them over the black carpet in my first one.

If I ever get around to putting my panel together the floor will be bed lined and ill put in a nice set of carpeted floor mats. Ill put in a set of those floor mat keepers newer cars have in them. If I ever put together another 4x4 it will have full size factory rubber mat.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
NewBayColony

My 2 cents are in Florida, if you like rubber, go with it. In New England, carpet. The rubber mats don't allow the backing to dry out after the warm weather goes away and promotes rust at the base of the kick panels and sills.
72 GMC 1500 2wd short stepside 250 4sp
78 GMC 2500 4x Longstepper 292 4sp
54 6400 Chevy 5 window 4 sp 2sp vac rear end Shell oil truck/dump truck (Norman)
NewBayColony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
68panelman

I like the rubber mat. Replacements are garbage from what I've heard here. My 67 has it's original mat, but my 70 K5 has carpet that will be pulled for rubber original mats I aquired through the parts board. I have my quirky ways and always step on to the throw mat when entering and tell my passengers the same, "hey!, Don't step on the rocker panel!, Keep your feet on the floor mat!", Yep..pure pita I am, but I feel that's part of respecting another's vehicle. I don't work them anymore, maybe an occasional lumber pick up, or large part. I don't drive them in the rain. I keep a small wisk broom under the seat to hit any sand/pebbles that may enter with my boots,
(but after I sit I clap them together as well) See? Told you I'm piticular right?
I'm not concerned with sound deadner either, the old truck sound, smell, feel is why I love them so much, my newer vehicles have all that cooshy stuff, and I'll drive them when needed. Shoot,..I rarely turn on the radio when driving my old guys.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

There's a sound deadener kit similar to OEM pads that were used under stock rubber mats. It consists of a white closed-cell foam pad and heavy black tarpaper-like pad. Seems as good as the original stuff.

IIRC, I have bought three reproduction rubber mats in the last several years. They looked and fit great when new, but began to rot and fall apart after just a few years.
One of them didn't even make it into the truck -- it rotted in storage before I went to install it.

I have never considered carpet and have thought about trying a full-length vinyl mat next time. They seem to hold up much better than the crappy rubber mats that are being sold now.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
dmw319

I just got a big rubber mat from autozone that fits all the way across the floor and cut it to fit. it works really well!

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Its so weird the negativity on the repro rubber mats ... I have had zero issues with them. You guys must be spilling your beer or something corrosive all over them =)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Its so weird the negativity on the repro rubber mats ... I have had zero issues with them. You guys must be spilling your beer or something corrosive all over them =)
I'm putting rubber back in my C20. Which brand holds up best, Thanks.
PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #13
Keith Seymore

Site vendor Capt Kaos.

I always ordered my square bodies with the vinyl flooring for the advantages mentioned above.

I have even pulled the carpet out of my GMT800 and replaced it with vinyl flooring, which I love.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-18-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperTreeGarage View Post
I'm putting rubber back in my C20. Which brand holds up best, Thanks.
Yes, Mark, where have you found mats that will last more than a few years without falling apart? The most corrosive material mine have seen is mud (no beer since 1990, darn it). I have long since forgotten where I bought the first one, or the second one that crumbled before I unpacked it. Six years ago I got one from Brothers and after four years it started coming apart. I haven't used my truck as my DD for nearly 10 years, so the mat's not being destroyed by over-use or abuse. The OEM mat lasted for decades before it got so bad I had to replace it.

EDIT: Thanks Keith, I was still typing when you posted that. I'll make a note....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I believe I got my first one from Frank and my second one from Wes
Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Maybe the mats hold up better in your cooler climate than NorCal's hot dry summer months. About how many years are you actually getting from them?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #17
68panelman

Originals more likely had more natural virgin rubber, the repros are probably blended recycled rubbers, plastics, and synthetics
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Site vendor Capt Kaos.

I always ordered my square bodies with the vinyl flooring for the advantages mentioned above.

I have even pulled the carpet out of my GMT800 and replaced it with vinyl flooring, which I love.

K
Utility always trumps convenience in a Truck!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
flashed

I used the thick Poly Vinyl floor in my 72 and it still looks new when clean and its been in there 18000 miles so far . Its going in my next build too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I used the thick Poly Vinyl floor in my 72 and it still looks new when clean and its been in there 18000 miles so far . Its going in my next build too.
Source? I'm sure there are several, and some may be identical -- or maybe not. Thanks!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #21
flashed

I cant remember where I bought it but it seems like it may have been Classic Parts .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #22
67swb72klb

I Like the mat in my K10 And carpet in the others.
Just this week I was cleaning up the sill plates in the K10 and the LMC floor mat is in great shape still no cracks and still soft 8 years old
Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #23
burnin oil

I too used the Classic Parts rubber mat that has the sound deadening under it. It is excellant quality and fit well. My only issue with the install was that I didnt have a way to lay it out for 24 hours so I accidentally miss cut it. Not bad but every so slightly off. It has been in the truck now for 4-5 years with no signs of breaking down under daily usage. Being a 4x4 that is used as a truck, you cant ask for a better review. My truck is a daily driver and 4x4 is used daily. still looks good and I just open the door and knock the dirt out. Really helpful when you have a 1/4 mile rock driveway up a mountain. Heck I even throw the chainsaw between the bucket seats to keep it from sliding around in the bed.

Alot of mention was made of floor liners. I had Husky Liners in my old Dodge that worked really well. Honestly though the carpet still got trashed around them. They only hold so much water and getting off camber would allow it to flow over the sides. They are awesome for what they are but not the end all. My personal advice is if it is a cruiser just go carpet for the looks. If it is a daily driver and you are a blue collar worker or just use your truck as a truck is supposed to be used, then go with the rubber mat. It is personal preference that needs to be tailored to the usage. My 08 Dodge SLT Lariet had a factory rubber floor and I wouldnt change it for the world since it is a 90% work truck. Every once in awhile it gets driven just to move the fluids around but most of the time it is working or hauling. I keep it nice but have no problem getting in it with muddy boots or throwing greasy gloves of chains on the floor. Next day just knock the door right out the door.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:59 AM   #24
In The Ten Ring

I went with a rubber mat since that is what my truck came with and it's intended as a work truck.

I forgot where I got it, some place that was highly recommended here, but the fit was a bit off.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Utility always trumps convenience in a Truck!
Yep. And the '92 K3500 I ordered to earn my living, most of the time on muddy new construction sites working in mud all day (siding), had the original carpet in it and looking good after 22 years and 330k miles. If that doesn't dispel the myth of carpet not being a utility rated floor covering I guess there's no changing some minds. I also ordered the low back vinyl buckets, since it was bought for utility use. At 80k, after the driver seat bottom on the driver side split and started falling apart every 20k (fixed under warranty/ready for 4th repair) I went with new take-out high-back cloth under the advise of my long time upholsterer who said the new vinyl covers will never hold up to the durability of the cloth. On the floor I ran Catchall mats from new. Vacuumed it out maybe once a year

I work out of my '72 three seasons and the carpet I installed (ACC) ten years ago I still think of as new. I don't hate rubber floor. Have had my share of trucks with it. I'll take either, but with mats there is no reason to not run carpet for durability or appearance reasons... unless you just don't like carpet. I like a truck built for utility with a comfortable cab for my office.

One other point I'll make is I have never had a problem removing and reinstalling carpet in my truck. This is nice to do from time to time to assure no rust is starting in the vulnerable areas. Every time I have pulled the rubber covering it has split in one or more places. It has only been aged original floor cover since I've never bought a new rubber one. I understand it's a matter of age not quality, but all the same, I like to get to my bare floor every few years. Not to mention the need to remove the hump for certain repairs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-19-2018 at 10:44 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote