The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Alberta65

HELP! Crappy license plate wiring

Ok I picked up a re pop original bumper with my 65 C10 and it actually came with a license plate holder and light. That was cool, until I began wiring the rear end and can't figure out this crappy license plate light for the life of me. There is only one wire about 12-14 gauge coming from the light with a plug that does not fit the original harness tail light plug. Even after just cutting the connector off I cannot get this damn light to work!!!

All the tail lights, brake lights, and running lights are perfect now. But regardless of what wire I tie into the license plate light will not come on. Since there was only one wire I assumed that it was grounded through the bumper so I ground and cleaned up all the connections at the bolts down to bare metal but that didn't help any. I'm ready to burn this piece of crap to the ground today!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Alberta65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
guy0783

Re: HELP! Crappy license plate wiring

Please don't take offense, but have you checked the bulb? I only ask because I recently spent time hunting wiring gremlins on my front pass running light only to find that the bulb that looked good was in fact bad. Doh!
guy0783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy0783 View Post
Please don't take offense, but have you checked the bulb? I only ask because I recently spent time hunting wiring gremlins on my front pass running light only to find that the bulb that looked good was in fact bad. Doh!

No offence taken! In fact I have questioned it a couple times in my head but said nooo that bulb looks fine and it's new so it's not possible.... I guess it is possible always
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

So you grounded the bumper brackets to the frame. What about the frame to the battery ground?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
So you grounded the bumper brackets to the frame. What about the frame to the battery ground?
Yes frame to battery ground is good and not affecting anything else
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Test the bulb. Be sure before chasing your tail. Like guy0783 said, I have had bulbs brand new be bad.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
TopFuel1966

Remove the bulb from the socket. Clean the inside of the socket housing and then test for continuity to ground. If that checks out then test for 12V DC at the bulb contact in the socket with the headlight switch on. If that checks out replace the bulb.

Last edited by TopFuel1966; 09-21-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
Alberta65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel1966 View Post
Remove the bulb from the socket. Clean the inside of the socket housing and then test for continuity to ground. If that checks out then test for 12V DC at the bulb contact in the socket with the headlight switch on. If that checks out replace the bulb.
Excuse my lack of electrical knowledge but how do I test for continuity to the ground? I check the bulb with a multimeter it's fine also if I touch the end of the wire from the light and the bulb it checks out so that part appears to be fine....

Side note it is a halogen bulb and the tail lights are leds would that be creating an issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #9
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta65 View Post
Excuse my lack of electrical knowledge but how do I test for continuity to the ground? I check the bulb with a multimeter it's fine also if I touch the end of the wire from the light and the bulb it checks out so that part appears to be fine....

Side note it is a halogen bulb and the tail lights are leds would that be creating an issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Set your meter on the ohms scale and touch one lead to the socket and the other lead to a clean spot on the frame. If the meter needle goes to "0" or near "0" then you have a good connection between the two. If the meter needle doesn't move or stays high than you've found your problem.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote