The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
BS Stuff

56 3100 Front fender to cowl seal - tough fit

In working on this 56 Panel truck for my buddy - I am trying to use all the parts, etc he bought over 10 years ago. So after fitting aftermarket door to cab, and then fine tuning good used fender to make gaps look good, etc - I am having issue after installing the seal on fender at rear of fender to cowl.
I checked with GM assy manual and see it goes behind the welded reinforcement that goes top to bottom on inside of fender - at the rear most portion if you will. Issue is seal so new and fat - it will not allow fender to sit where it was fitted - which means door hits / rubs when opening it. (Or not opening but checking for interference).
Question is - does everyone put those seals back in or leave them out?? I was debating trying to remove material off the seal and if still issue - then removing all together. Getting the 2nd fender ready so do not want same issue.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance !!
BS Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
BS Stuff

Question Re: 56 3100 Front fender to cowl seal - tough fit

Not one person has had this issue??? Over 60 people looked at this and not one reply.......... Wow - looks like I stumped you guys !! Looking to finish left fender by mid week next week. Would love to have the "cure" before then.
Thanks !!!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Russell Ashley

Re: 56 3100 Front fender to cowl seal - tough fit

I had no trouble putting mine on but it was about five years ago. If I remember correctly my seals were so thin and soft that they wouldn't have caused any trouble getting the fender in place. I wonder if you got the wrong seals. You said you had fitted the fender so I didn't respond sooner but will throw this out since you are having the problem. The fender braces hit the cab in some cases. I've read that the assembly guys had hammers to correct this by whacking the offending spot. This is what I'm referring to. My truck didn't need the hammer "adjustment" but it looks like the fender did touch here.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
roger55

I did not use them. I see no reason to have them.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Black_Sheep

Mine didn't have them when I tore down the front end, I won't be putting any back in. I don't really understand what function they would serve other than trapping dirt and moisture...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
BS Stuff

Thumbs up Re: 56 3100 Front fender to cowl seal - tough fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I had no trouble putting mine on but it was about five years ago. If I remember correctly my seals were so thin and soft that they wouldn't have caused any trouble getting the fender in place. I wonder if you got the wrong seals. You said you had fitted the fender so I didn't respond sooner but will throw this out since you are having the problem. The fender braces hit the cab in some cases. I've read that the assembly guys had hammers to correct this by whacking the offending spot. This is what I'm referring to. My truck didn't need the hammer "adjustment" but it looks like the fender did touch here.
Thanks for the reply - I was away all day. Yeh - these were part of kit - and only gaskets left. I think they were just designed too thick to start with. The fenders fit fine and no hitting on the infamous dented area.
Thanks for the reply - I most likely will shave them down.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
BS Stuff

I think all the $#%^ would get kicked up into door edge if not protected by these. After all the work to make doors and fenders fit - I am going to shave the gaskets down - then flood the area with undercoating to seal off that area. I do live in NH - and my buddy will be using this a lot.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #8
BS Stuff

Thumbs up Re: 56 3100 Front fender to cowl seal - tough fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Mine didn't have them when I tore down the front end, I won't be putting any back in. I don't really understand what function they would serve other than trapping dirt and moisture...

I think all the $#%^ would get kicked up into door edge if not protected by these. After all the work to make doors and fenders fit - I am going to shave the gaskets down - then flood the area with undercoating to seal off that area. I do live in NH - and my buddy will be using this a lot.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
The fender braces hit the cab in some cases. I've read that the assembly guys had hammers to correct this by whacking the offending spot. This is what I'm referring to. My truck didn't need the hammer "adjustment" but it looks like the fender did touch here.
yes they found after they went into production the conflict between the fender brace and cowl area. My truck had the bumps. I ran across a thread from a guy that fixed them only to have to re-bump them after paint. GM figured it was cheaper to just give the guys a ball peen hammer and ding the hidden place.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
BS Stuff

Thanks for all the replies !! I will "shave" the one already installed - and do the driver's fender a different way. No metal to metal contact. I even cut the vertical brace at back of fender and bent / rewelded to get door / fenders to align great. Issue is the gasket - and I will deal with that. Thanks again !!!