The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #5501
Tombstone

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Spend 4000 on a few upgrades today
Old 06-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #5502
Metaldoc

I washed/sprayed it the hose the truck for the first time. I bought it 4 years ago and did all the work without cleaning the exterior. Today I blew a heater hose off and it sprayed antifreeze all down the side out between the hood crack. It's a good thing I keep supplies at home just in case, called my daughter, ten mins later she shows up with a new hose clamp and antifreeze I have premixed ready to go. Be prepared as I've learned living a half hour from a parts store. It's the cleanest it's looked, maybe a coat of wax might help. Na it looks perfect.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 AM   #5503
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Knocked 45 years of grease off my 72 driver truck, and snugged up some gaskets. Dirty job, but I refuse to work under a grease pit, which was approaching 3/8" an inch in places. Greased everything up to the rear drive shaft, where I suppose either the U-joints or zerk fittings are wrong. It's not possible to put a grease gun on the zerk fittings. Can't say how to pull a drive shaft yet, but I will at some point.

The driver is having intermittent starting issues, so as part of a revamp, I tried to install a newer starter, which came off my restoration project. Both 402 trucks, so no problem right? Nope. While it may have worked, the hole in the flex cover on my 72 is taller. It doesn't appear cut, perhaps a replacement? Seems all flex covers would be the same, for BBC trucks anyway. The starter that was on there doesn't appear to check out for a 72 C20 either. All I know is it's a good Delco Remy 1109065 and fit. For what it's worth, the replacements call for the same starter, 71 C10 402 or 72 C20 402.
Installed a replacement starter. The replacement measured approx. 1/32" taller than the Delco, where the base fits inside the flex plate cover. It's not quite plumb honestly. I even pulled the cover off, only to decide not to mess with it. Truck starts awesome, no grinding, however, after it starts I can hear something spin a pinch, and before that a high pitch sound, though it doesn't sound bad, if that makes sense. Going with plan C, which is locate a correct cover and install the starter I intended (and did, sorta) to use in the first place.

Newer battery installed, which came off the rebuild. The truck fires up nicely.

I've been looking for OEM P-clips for the this and that's. Turns out the mother load is under my driver truck I used one at the flex plate cover and rerouted the starter wires as intended (or close - HEI distributor).

Newer cables installed, which came off the rebuild. Disappointing the positive cable is too short to put the positive top post on the fender side. Other than that everything is routed to the book. Few ground straps added, and even reconnected..........yikes.

My floor jack is nearly dead, and it nearly killed the passenger inner fender. I ordered a 3 ton Daytona over a week ago, but no sign of it yet. The C20 killed it. Its worked for the C10 for must be 20 years.

Have to say though it's still dirty and more areas molested, think I enjoy working on the driver more than project truck. Difference is it's running. The project wants me to set the cab on the cart already I built this over a month ago. It just sits. It will bolt up using the cab mounts, someday:
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #5504
Farmertruck

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

New to the site! Just picked up a 68 3/4 ton 4x4 need work but runs really well. I did a 71 years ago and sold it to get married... Anyhow got the bug again. The 68 has a closed knuckle 44 up front with the Rockwell case in it, both new to me... Is the Dana worth saving or go for a Dana 60, same with the Rockwell, is it up to par with the 205? Also looking to lift it a little, having a hard time finding a kit for it with new rear springs, are the perches that much different or is it just the length? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place still trying to navigate the site!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 PM   #5505
ghalperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldoc View Post
I washed/sprayed it the hose the truck for the first time. I bought it 4 years ago and did all the work without cleaning the exterior. It's the cleanest it's looked, maybe a coat of wax might help. Na it looks perfect.
Although, I really like your 'HEVROLET. I think it deserves some time with a buffer and some wax.
Just sayin'

1960 Burro Corvair/VW Buggy - Factory made in Santa Ana, Ca

1929 Ford Model A Roadster - traditional pre-war banger hot rod
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #5506
syfygi

I love the four wheel drive trucks!

Last edited by syfygi; 06-24-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #5507
AussieinNC

Started the initial clean out and dismantle on the new toy...1967 LongBed, 327, manual, mostly original. Wood bed is gone totally, normal rot in cabin, cab supports, inner and outer rockers, floor panel sections.

Got the seat out, drivers door off, and tank out...the second I touched the tank to remove it the rusted bottom ruptured and leaked bad gas...UGH. Tank will go to rear bed location...never liked them in the cabin...

Cant believe what people will put in a rust hole to plug it up...rear cab corners and floor sections consisted of bubble wrap, sponge and chicken wire, then bondo...wow!

Gonna keep it mainly stock, numbers seem to match chassis, to cab to engine...
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #5508
VWNate1

@ Aussie in N.C. :

A nice old rig, glad to see you're going to save it .

Please keep us posted as you go along .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 06-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #5509
SoCoC10

Replaced some of the damaged upper moldings with ones off of another truck that's being converted to a short bed. Trim work is some tedious work. Polishing, taping,painting, removing old double stick tape, installing new tape, removing paint from the correct areas of the trim then finally installing the trim. Replaced a bad hose clamp on the transmission cooler that was leaking. Installed missing lower molding and new side markers. Not bad for $40 and my time.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #5510
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Gonna keep it mainly stock, numbers seem to match chassis, to cab to engine...
Are you planning to do a build thread? I always enjoy watching the progress on one that's being kept mainly stock.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
Old 06-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #5511
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Nothing earth shattering but put the decals on my dual snorkel air cleaner and cut the seat belt holder part out of my console so I could fit PickMUps cup holder plate into it.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #5512
Oregon 1967 GMC

Got up to 96 degrees or so here so that means get out and do something on the truck so got around to finishing up fender wells that I had patch and POR15'd them year or so back and....left them in shed where they got dented and por15 came undone so...I fixed dents and after 220 grit went with 320 then green pad then Chassis Black. I'm happy to keep these originals.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 12:43 AM   #5513
syfygi

So this is the last vehicle I bought from my grandfather before he passed away. its a 70 c10 LWB Stepside, He knew I liked the body style of these trucks so he bought it for me and saved it until I came back.it has a 283 in it and a 350 turbo behind that which he said he rebuilt. Well when I bought it I had a 71 C20 that was pretty much my daily driver and what I moved from Alaska with. So a buddy of mine came to me saying he was looking for a project so I showed him this truck. He instantly wanted it and paid me what I was asking for it. I gave him the stipulation that if he decided to sell it I wanted it back. (my grandfather told me not to sell it) He got to drive it one time and couldn't get it started again (hes not very mechanically inclined). when my grandfather passed away in November he told me I could have the truck back and I was ecstatic! But I knew I didn't have the money to pay him back for the truck til tax time so I had to wait til then. In the mean time, I sold my c20 because it had no sentimental value to me and I needed to get rid of a project as I have way too many. I went to get the truck and the problem was the ignition switch had gone bad. and when I got it home thats when the problems started. (oil leak, new alternator, wiring, thermostat)

I know the 283 isnt original and I spent 3 weeks to get it to where i would trust it to make a trip up to his house to get the truck I inherited from him (1956 Chevy SWB Stepside) the morning I was due to leave, I went to my storage unit to pick up my tow dolly and on the way home the transmission went out. I decided that since the old girl was down anyways it was time for me to start working on her. I dont plan to do a full restoration or anything drastic, I just want to make her look good, and get out all the rust and give her my personality. I decided to order a new transmission and torque converter from JEGS so I have that warranty and I can trust it, and while I am at it, I have a shop in Charlotte building me a 350 to sit down in her.

Wanting this truck to be completely different from my 71, I decided I wanted a floor shifter for the transmission so today I took out the bench seat and the carpet to see what it looked like underneath (it was all still original and I would have to cut a hole for the shifter) and I found this...every persons nightmare rusted floorboards. luckily for me I did some digging online and I know some guys around here that sell parts for these trucks and was able score a new floorboard pretty cheap so now I just have to wait for it to come in. In the mean time I am going to try to straighten up the grille and do some more research. Does anyone know if these trucks were used in the military?
Attached Images

Last edited by syfygi; 06-25-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #5514
ghalperin

Since I'm going to Brother's tomorrow, I decided to check my toe-in.

When I put the front end together, I knew that the camber was going to be a little negative, so I added two regular zinc 1/2" washers to each stud for the upper control arms and I eye-balled the toe-in. I'm surprised that it goes perfectly straight and handles really well.

I broke out the tire scribe and toe bar. I've been running 2" of toe in. Luckily the tires have zero damage and the new tire nipples are still all the way across the tires. I set it to about 1/8" toe-in and straightened the steering wheel.

It still rides the same, maybe my fuel consumption will improve since I'm not pushing through the front tires anymore.

Next week, I'll break out the turn tables and slip plates and check the complete alignment.

1960 Burro Corvair/VW Buggy - Factory made in Santa Ana, Ca

1929 Ford Model A Roadster - traditional pre-war banger hot rod
Old 06-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #5515
NoStopN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Nothing earth shattering but put the decals on my dual snorkel air cleaner and cut the seat belt holder part out of my console so I could fit PickMUps cup holder plate into it.
That cup holder plate looks very good. Not sure I'll go in the direction of a console, but good piece nonetheless.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #5516
66clow

Got all the surface rust sanded down. And coated with some rattle can. Glad roof is all solid.

Before

Last edited by 66clow; 06-25-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #5517
Boog
laying low

Yeah. Much better. What's next?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #5518
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Yeah. Much better. What's next?
This page isn't long enough to list everything lol. Mainly put in rear c notch to get to 7 in the rear. Mechanical maintenance(intake oil leak), Get some gauges working(speedo,gas). Plan to do all red interior with nice paint(no rattle can).
Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #5519
NoStopN

I guess I'll be picking up a pair of dually caps for the rear & the proper lug nuts for the whole truck.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #5520
mike16

I rotated my tires and replaced the disc brake pads on the front. I flushed out my cooling system and added antifreeze and distilled water. this was on my 72.

on my 68; I installed some park brake parts for retaining the cables to the frame and installed a front bumper bolt that as missing when I got the truck.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #5521
DrivingAC10

St Paul had it's annual citywide get-your-junk-out-of-the-yard day. Friday I loaded up my C10 with the concrete rubble from my front yard steps that I'm replacing and yesterday I took it to the dump. Fortunately I had a buddy and some plywood scraps so damage was minimal and the work went fast. Geez I wish I didn't have to use it for jobs like that. Earlier in the week I had made my lumber yard trip to get the 20 60lb sacks of concrete mix. I don't know if I feel worse for my back or my C10 :/
Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #5522
hewittca

I got bored and decided to take a grinder to my tires. I hate the lettering/designs they put on modern sidewalls, so I smoothed mine with a worn out 60 grit flapper wheel. I think it complements the look of my stock inspired wheel/tire setup.

I am also debating on running thin white lines now that the sidewall is smooth, and tested out the look with chalk.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #5523
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I got bored and decided to take a grinder to my tires. I hate the lettering/designs they put on modern sidewalls, so I smoothed mine with a worn out 60 grit flapper wheel. I think it complements the look of my stock inspired wheel/tire setup.

I am also debating on running thin white lines now that the sidewall is smooth, and tested out the look with chalk.

Yes you are too bored lol. White walls would be sweet!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #5524
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Had to redo my door lights. The old ones burnt out.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #5525
flashed

Andy ,that is just too Kool ,love it .
Closed Thread