The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
homemade87

New leaf springs , where would you buy , Performance problem

I have an 82 c10 swb that I put together a few years ago and had to cut one of the front coils to get it to sit level . This worked great and sits dead level just fine . The front of the truck has 2-1/2 " drop spindles and the rear is dropped 4" , 2" shackle and 2" front hanger on the leaf springs .

So whats the problem you ask , I have been doing power upgrades , ls2 swap , tea cnc heads , spec cam , exhaust system , FLT level 5 trans . Circle d 3600 billet triple disc t/c . Well you get the idea .

The problem is when the power is on ,the truck wants to drive left . I dont mean when the tires are spinning . If I have it it 2nd with some rpms and stab on it the front of the truck rises and goes left and have to steer it back .

I think my problem now is the imbalance in spring rate from corner to corner front to back when I cut the front spring to level it .

I would like to find a good manufacturer that specializes in rear leaf springs . Someone who will test the spring rates to get a matched set . Not really looking for a re seller who just buys from someone and just resells . My springs are stock and not looking to lower or raise it any from where it is .

Any input on springs or even my problem will be welcome .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: New leaf springs , where would you buy , Performance problem

https://www.springworks.com/

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

I ordered some rear coils with a custom rate from Spring Works. Very good to deal with. Ask for Leo Beck. They are not cheap by any means, but they can do pretty much whatever you need. I also called Eaton Detroit Spring - very willing to help over the phone, but they couldn't make the rate with the amount of drop I wanted.

Check your thrust alignment, it might have something to do with your truck pulling left under power.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 01-28-2018 at 02:36 PM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
PGSigns

How much did you cut the front spring and what side is it on? You may be fighting a bent frame or a lot of frame flex. Things to check, worn suspension bushings, bad front end alignment, a dead rear shock, chassis out of square, just to name a few. I don't think new springs will fix it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
sweetk30

http://www.calvertracing.com/store/y...CKUP&x=43&y=14

heard a few guys say good things on these guys traction setups for our trucks .

good stock replacement is Dayton or triangle spring brands . major players in the leaf spring world . any local big truck parts shop can get them brands .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
How much did you cut the front spring and what side is it on? You may be fighting a bent frame or a lot of frame flex. Things to check, worn suspension bushings, bad front end alignment, a dead rear shock, chassis out of square, just to name a few. I don't think new springs will fix it.
Jimmy
I dont remember exactly how much but I thing it was about a half coil on the drivers side . when I had the truck completely apart I measured things and did notice anything odd which may not mean much . The front suspension was completely rebuilt . All new poly bushings and ball joints . In the end whether it fixes it or not I would just rather have the spring rates like there suppose to be . Also the front spring are new as well . Just one of them cut .

As bosshogg suggested to get the thrust allignment checked . I have a good friend at a chevy dealership that I can work with on that .

If all fails I will get it up on a frame machine and check things out as well .
Old 01-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
http://www.calvertracing.com/store/y...CKUP&x=43&y=14

heard a few guys say good things on these guys traction setups for our trucks .

good stock replacement is Dayton or triangle spring brands . major players in the leaf spring world . any local big truck parts shop can get them brands .
Thanks Sweet , I will look into these brands as well . Another I had not seen was Springworks which was one Bosshogg has suggested . I had already seen eaton . I will look into all of these .

As for the Caltracs bars I already have a set on it . I have been playing with the setting some with not much luck . Traction is good on the 325/50/15 M&H tires . The leaf bushing on the front is solid for the caltracs . Only bushings that was not replaces was the rear leaf and shackle hanger .

Last edited by homemade87; 01-28-2018 at 10:55 PM.