The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
bean

Ranco shocks for 2011 fit a 72?

Weird question but guy I work with has a set of rancho off his 2011 he will give me but wondering if they will fit my 72. Tried contacting rancho but haven't heard anything . any ideas?
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Marine-58

Re: Ranco shocks for 2011 fit a 72?

You don't mention if your truck is lowered/raised or if the one providing the shocks is. I don't know if they are a direct swap or not, but it can be figured out. Are the top and bottom mounts the same? Make two measurements. Both are shock mount to mount distance. First is with the fully compressed suspension (take out the spring). Second is with the suspension fully extended. (With springs in place and current shocks in place if they are correct for your suspension.) Use what normal travel would be, not setting the tires on the ground with springs disconnected. Say those distances are 24" - 14". Just to throw some numbers out there.

Next measure the shock fully extended and fully compressed. For example those measurements are 28" - 16". In this example the shocks would not allow your suspension to fully compress and also may allow it to over extend. Best case is the numbers between the measurements match. It is allowable to have the shock be + 1" on either side but not any shorter. If shorter the shock will limit the travel.

Hope this helps. I'm not real good at describing stuff so maybe someone else on the board can say it better?

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote