The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Armyrules2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Freehold NJ
Posts: 5
Vin tag decoder?

Can anyone decode this? It's on a 1991 k3500.
Attached Images
 
Armyrules2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Keith Seymore
Senior Member
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 7,257
Re: Vin tag decoder?

The VIN tag is on the metal dash, at the lower drivers side corner of the windshield.

This body tag decodes as follows:

CK31403

C - Chevrolet nameplate
K - 4wd
314 - long wheel base cab chassis
03 - pick up variant

ZY1 - solid (one color) paint
L05 - 5.7L small block chevy V8 engine (fuel injected)
ZW9 - base body (cab chassis)
DG5 - west coast style mirror option

The numbers across the top may be some "in process" build sequence numbers, perhaps through cab shop or final line

I don't recognize "FLR" but it is in the RPO format.

"97" when coupled with a "U" (ie, 97U) becomes the exterior paint code: Dark Gray Metallic . I don't know what the 07 would be.

Is your truck a carryover R/V truck (like mine) or the "new" GMT400 version?

K
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - Present
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-18-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Armyrules2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Freehold NJ
Posts: 5
Re: Vin tag decoder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The VIN tag is on the metal dash, at the lower drivers side corner of the windshield.

This body tag decodes as follows:

CK31403

C - Chevrolet nameplate
K - 4wd
314 - long wheel base cab chassis
03 - pick up variant

ZY1 - solid (one color) paint
L05 - 5.7L small block chevy V8 engine (fuel injected)
ZW9 - base body (cab chassis)
DG5 - west coast style mirror option

The numbers across the top may be some "in process" build sequence numbers, perhaps through cab shop or final line

I don't recognize "FLR" but it is in the RPO format.

"97" when coupled with a "U" (ie, 97U) becomes the exterior paint code: Dark Gray Metallic . I don't know what the 07 would be.

Is your truck a carryover R/V truck (like mine) or the "new" GMT400 version?

K
I'm not sure what you mean by R/V truck. I know its the body without butterfly windows. It's a cab chassis with a dump body on it. I'm trying to figure out what kind of front differential is in this truck. It just went bad and I want to get the right part from the junkyard.
Armyrules2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Big Daddy Bear
Registered User
 
Big Daddy Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Rochester, WA
Posts: 154
Re: Vin tag decoder?

Do you have a sticker that looks something like this inside your glovebox?

That will have the "RPO" code that you can look-up and it will will tell what you want to know.
Attached Images
 
Big Daddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Armyrules2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Freehold NJ
Posts: 5
Re: Vin tag decoder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Bear View Post
Do you have a sticker that looks something like this inside your glovebox?

That will have the "RPO" code that you can look-up and it will will tell what you want to know.
Unfortunately the previous owner painted over the door jam sticker and there is no sticker behind the glove box.
Armyrules2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Keith Seymore
Senior Member
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 7,257
Re: Vin tag decoder?

...

The body data tag normally won't show chassis content, unless it affects the body build (like a hole in the floor for a shifter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyrules2 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by R/V truck. I know its the body without butterfly windows. It's a cab chassis with a dump body on it. I'm trying to figure out what kind of front differential is in this truck. It just went bad and I want to get the right part from the junkyard.
R/V is the carryover "square body".



GMT400 is the replacement, which took over the C/K naming convention.



There was a gradual transition from 1987 through 1991.

Based on your description, and the "K" in your model number, I'm going to say yours is a GMT400. As such, I am attaching the generic info packet for a '91 cab chassis. It may have some info about front axle information in there.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

Also - depending on how interested or desperate you are - you can send your VIN and $50 to the GM Heritage Center and they will return to you the invoice for your specific truck.

It will include the exact RPO content, pricing, build dates and selling dealership. Then you would know absolutely positively for sure.

It will look like this:



You can even use that information to contact chipflyer (outintheshop.com) and he can make a new SPID label for your glovebox, if you wish.
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - Present
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Keith Seymore
Senior Member
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 7,257
Re: Vin tag decoder?

I don't think there's much choice in front axles.

This shows just one, of GM's own manufacture, with no optional offerings.

So a person either has this front axle, or they have a 2wd truck.

K
Attached Images
  
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - Present
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Armyrules2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Freehold NJ
Posts: 5
Re: Vin tag decoder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
...

The body data tag normally won't show chassis content, unless it affects the body build (like a hole in the floor for a shifter).



R/V is the carryover "square body".



GMT400 is the replacement, which took over the C/K naming convention.



There was a gradual transition from 1987 through 1991.

Based on your description, and the "K" in your model number, I'm going to say yours is a GMT400. As such, I am attaching the generic info packet for a '91 cab chassis. It may have some info about front axle information in there.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

Also - depending on how interested or desperate you are - you can send your VIN and $50 to the GM Heritage Center and they will return to you the invoice for your specific truck.

It will include the exact RPO content, pricing, build dates and selling dealership. Then you would know absolutely positively for sure.

It will look like this:



You can even use that information to contact chipflyer (outintheshop.com) and he can make a new SPID label for your glovebox, if you wish.
My truck is the GMT400 it looks just like the picture. I will get in touch with the GM heritage center to be sure I'm getting the right thing. Thank you very much!
Armyrules2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
Keith Seymore
Senior Member
 
Keith Seymore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 7,257
Re: Vin tag decoder?

You are welcome.

Looks like I neglected to provide the link for the Heritage Center invoices:

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1
__________________
Chevrolet Flint Assembly
1979-1986
GM Full Size Truck Engineering
1986 - Present
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Armyrules2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Freehold NJ
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
You are welcome.

Looks like I neglected to provide the link for the Heritage Center invoices:

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1
That's ok I found it. But thank you again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Armyrules2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com