The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
64jmb

1966 C10 Turn signal Switch issues

He All,
I have a totally mechanically restored 66 C10. I have done it all. I have also replaced all the wiring in the whole truck with a whole new modern harness by someone who REALLY knows his stuff!!

Only 1 issue I am having.

I have installed 3, mind you, 3! turn signal switches and none of the lasted only a few weeks. 2 from LMC. I think were made in Taiwan. Those were junk!

Then I just bought one here locally from a guy that said.... we used to buy those, we buy these now and we no issues with these... 2 weeks later, same junk.

There is nothing is in those columns but the turn signal harness itself wiring wise, and the wheel bearing and switch. I have a NOS new canceler on the steering wheel as well.
All the other wiring is replaced. My biggest issue is, they never work correctly. In drive both tail lights flash like emergency flashers and I do not have any emergency flashers on my truck. My mechanic is ASE certified and works on all these type cars and trucks all day. He says the switches are junk which I believe.

I am now looking at only a AC Delco one part number D6202. The sis a the original part number. They make them still. They are made in the United States, I called them myself to make sure.

Are these after market ones that bad?

Am I missing something? Thoughts... remember everything is new.... also a note... this switch... truck has no key in the ignition...I hold down the brake pedal, and my gauges starts to move around and my electric fan goes on, I lift off, it stops.... that one baffles me... but it all seems to be related to the turn signal switches I have been installing.... what am I missing?

Is there something else this could be.... let me know. thanks!
64jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
vince1

Re: 1966 C10 Turn signal Switch issues

I bought the switch IIRC from Classic Ind. and it has worked good for over two years now. I would think it too was probably an imported knock off of the original.

I think you've got other issues going on like maybe bad grounds or current going to ground where it shouldn't. I would follow the wiring diagram to try and figure it out.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
64jmb

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. I did have that discussion. Only does this when the bad switch is installed. I have spoke to Jon 60-66 he knows this stuff very well. He says he feels it is the switch and even seen the new AC Delco ones fail.
I need an original DELCO OEM 1st Generation switch in the yellow and white box with the black writing that just says DELCO.
There is no other issues wiring wise, it is all new....and my mechanic really knows his stuff. Owns his own shop and is ASE certified. Restored many of these types of classic cars & trucks. I unfortunately bought junk switches, 3 times.
I should have gone with my gut after the 2nd one. I really did not cut corners on this truck mechanically at all.
I am on the hunt for a 1st generation turn signal switch now. If anyone has one please let me know. Thanks!!!
Old 04-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
theastronaut

I bought a new switch a few years back and the spring contacts inside were bent incorrectly. Take a look at yours and see if they're resting on the correct contact pegs at each position.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
64jmb

where is this part at? The switch itself or behind it? Can you explain in more detail? The one on the left look original the one on the right looks reproduction. I also see metal missing on the one on the left.

Please explain how you corrected this, was it on the switch on the contacts behind the switch?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
64jmb

Which one is correct the left or the right side one? One looks like it is missing metal. On the left. On the left one it does not look like it is touching the pegs, the right one they are all bent different. I found a NOS DELCO 910821 switch in the box I am gonna buy and use instead of the reproductions. I am assuming that will be bent correctly.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
theastronaut

The brass one on the left is an original that is shaped correctly. The one on the right was a new reproduction and was messed up straight out of the box.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
64jmb

I just picked up 3 NOS ones. Delco Guide #910821 mint in the boxes. Very difficult to find these First Generation ones, but I did. So hopefully problem solved. Ill be having this installed hopefully next week or the week after. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Ken Cook

I had to take mine apart and clean those pins and metal pieces. Working fine now.
Ken Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

this part of the truck i've had my days of horror.over 8 times it caught fire or smoked the wires.Then a friend of mine tuned me on to the 1967-68 columns No more springs and you have a flasher hook up if you want to put a side fuse bus in for just the flashers.Better column Plus it uses the same hand brake so no difference
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
64jmb

Well, This is all good now. I have all new modern wiring harness in the whole truck... not the issue, so that stuff is all new. What was told to do and I found 3 NOS OEM original turn signal switches in the boxes NOS OEM and bought them all. I had one installed yesterday, works PERFECT! It is in the Delco Guide box part number #921810 in the white and yellow box with the black writing on it. See picture. Ill let you know if something does not work out, but I do not see that happening. This one I can tell right away is working correctly. The others for the most part did not. Stuff on the reproduction started acting up almost immediately!
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #13
Rolland

It's hard to beat genuine original made in good old USA parts for fit, function and durability!
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #14
shp4man

There are 3 choices of T/S switches as far as I know, a $50 one on LMC truck and 2 others on Rockauto, name brands for about 75 bucks.
Mine's about a year old LMC one, and is beginning to not work for right turns sometimes.
Don't know if I should try to fix it or just get one of the ones from Rockauto.
How much did the Delco one go for?
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #15
64jmb

AC Delco makes one for about $145. I did not even trust buying that one. I went NOS OEM all the way. Delco Guide 1st generation.