The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #26
Redneck Rydes

Re: Assembly Line Photos

OH the memories,I spent 30 years on the assembly line in Oshawa Ontario Car Assembly, 1983 to 2013.
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #27
kipps

Keith,

I don't quite understand your last comment about the tug in the picture. Had someone just abandoned it at the end of their shift, and it's now in the way for the next shift?

How much did the assembly workers get shifted around to keep the job interesting? By time he retires, would a fellow have worked nearly every aspect of assembly, or would he have spent the whole 30 years installing door handles?
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #28
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Keith obviously knows if I’m correct or not but all CUCVs I’ve played with had (and one currently) had 3/4 ton frames, and 24V starting-some had dual alternators which were rated at 100a each. The one I’m helping with now has a D60 front and 14-bolt rear locking diff. all with 4.56 gears. I’m doing some electrical repairs to this one-replacing a few small parts then my buddy will be selling this one off.
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #29
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Keith,

I don't quite understand your last comment about the tug in the picture. Had someone just abandoned it at the end of their shift, and it's now in the way for the next shift?
No - in the photo above the tug is sitting next to the line (between the pickup line and the main aisle) and is staged and ready to go if and when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps
How much did the assembly workers get shifted around to keep the job interesting? By time he retires, would a fellow have worked nearly every aspect of assembly, or would he have spent the whole 30 years installing door handles?
Pretty much everything was/is seniority based.

When we start up a new line, or a new shift in an existing plant, management has the ability to place workers where they think they will be a good fit. After that, if a worker wants to put in for a different job, or a better job with the commensurate pay increase, he can apply and if he has more seniority than the other person he can get that job.

Some folks were happy were they were, even if it was a tough job. My fender set guys tended to stay in that spot for a long time (which is good). Other folks would try to move to a repair job, or quality man, or even a driver out back, to try to get away from being tied directly to the assembly line.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #30
TKCR

I always enjoy reading these posts about the assembly line, and of course the pics too. I can relate to the assembly line work, since I also work in an auto factory. I only have 10 months to go before retirement, at that time I will have been there for 30 years. Assembly line work takes a toll on the body.

I have to say, I get the biggest kick out of the tugger pic. GM had this back all those years ago. Where I work, which I can't say, due to confidentiality concerns. Up until about 10 years ago, we had to physically push the "no starts" off the line.

My Dad worked for GM, Fisher Body in Columbus Ohio. Worked there for 35 yrs. so I guess you can say that automobiles runs in our blood. One of his jobs, was making the tailgate band for the trucks. I never knew this, until I bought my 86 Chevy. The first time he came to see it, is when he told me about some of the parts he made for the trucks. Now I am most proud of the tailgate band I have.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #31
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
My Dad worked for GM, Fisher Body in Columbus Ohio. Worked there for 35 yrs. so I guess you can say that automobiles runs in our blood. One of his jobs, was making the tailgate band for the trucks. I never knew this, until I bought my 86 Chevy. The first time he came to see it, is when he told me about some of the parts he made for the trucks. Now I am most proud of the tailgate band I have.
My dad worked at Chevrolet Flint Manufacturing (Pressed Metal Division) so he made valve covers, oil pans, air cleaners, radiator supports, fuel tanks, etc for cars and trucks. He was there for 26 years before moving into a Central Office engineering position for his last 6 years.

By submitting ideas through the Suggestion Program he made enough money off of the '65/66 truck grilles to pay cash for our new '69 GMC stepside.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #32
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
My dad worked at Chevrolet Flint Manufacturing (Pressed Metal Division) so he made valve covers, oil pans, air cleaners, radiator supports, fuel tanks, etc for cars and trucks. He was there for 26 years before moving into a Central Office engineering position for his last 6 years.

By submitting ideas through the Suggestion Program he made enough money off of the '65/66 truck grilles to pay cash for our new '69 GMC stepside.

K
Nice!! We also have the Suggestion System too. Quite a few people have done so many, they get a new car free, using their points earned.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #33
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Thanks Keith....very cool.

I don't know a ton about the CUCV's but were they outfitted with 3/4 ton running gear? Specifically the Blazer? Compared to the standardly equipped 1/2 ton running gear?

Frame strength the same?

I believe they were 24V (where second battery was noted above).
Having owned a few of these, I believe all the Blazer’s were 1/2 ton and the pickups are 1 ton. That’s what makes the CUCV pickups so desirable. I have a buddy who put the 1 ton running gear under a Blazer and that thing is a beast!
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote