The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
68ihscout

Oil pan gasket help

My pan measures 2 3/8 and calls for the new style gasket which should be os-34510-T ,i got what i thought was right for 1970 c20 350 which is felpro 1885 i think is the old style ,..any help is apreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

68ihscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Oil pan gasket help

If you measured right, then it would seem you got the wrong one.
The 1885 is a thin front seal.
Shows that here.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/1885/10002/-1

You might need this one.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/OS34510T/10002/-1
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
68ihscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
If you measured right, then it would seem you got the wrong one.
The 1885 is a thin front seal.
Shows that here.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/1885/10002/-1

You might need this one.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/OS34510T/10002/-1
i rechecked the measurements many times ,i even put the gasket on that side and it was short at bottom by about 1/8 “ when i lined up the bolt holes.

Thanks G
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
68 P.O.S.

The trucks I've had always used the 375-OS34510T gasket above.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
68ihscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
The trucks I've had always used the 375-OS34510T gasket above.
i just got that one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #6
jeffahart

That was the one to get. You get the gasket and the alignment pegs and new bolts for same price as driver dip only. Only difference is FEL-OS34510T can be used for either side dip. Great gaskets, easy install and no leaks.

j
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 AM   #7
Mike_The_Grad

I actually just went through this entire thing last week. What a PITA. I wish you luck.

Anyways to your question. If you currently have your original oil pan on your vehicle you more than likely have the THIN front seal. This was the case on my 1972 c10 sbc350.
I was in the middle of an oil change when I went to reinstall the drain plug it turned and turned and turned and turned, you get the point. Well I found out they make an oversized drain plug. When i went to go get one from my parts guy, he had the exact same plug on the counter that I had in my oil pan. Oh great I thought. That left me with 2 options: A "Timesert repair kit"(Amazon order), or a new pan. I needed to get back on the road asap so I dug deep in my wallet and had him order me a replacement oil pan, Fel-Pro one piece gasket, and he had an ARP boltset on the shelf for the pan. Total came out to $120. And I had it in my hands in 2 hours.

So, the story on the gaskets. Any factory installed oil pan After about 1975 was of the THICK front seal type. Pre -75 for the most Part was THIN front seal. Almost all REPLACEMENT oil plans are THICK front seal. The replacement pan I received was a THICK front seal, the 1-piece felpro gasket I received was OS-034510-T. It is the THICK front seal type gasket And it is the correct gasket for my replacement oil pan. This mainly applies to stock configurations.(oe pan and oe timing cover.) Almost all aftermarket pans and timing covers are the THICK front seal type. All aluminum pans and/or timing covers are THICK front seal.
My setup being stock-ish was the thin front seal type but the new pan changed that regardless of my timing cover being stock and also original.

The OS34510T gasket is thicker than the 4 piece type gaskets and has a provision for either a left hand or right hand dipstick( the opposite side just sticks out past the edge of the pan slightly.) The bolts need to have at least 5/8" of thread length under the bolt head to work with the 1piece gaskets. Stock bolts WILL NOT WORK. Also the ARP bolt set for sbc350 oil pans Part# 234-1801 are for STOCK oil pans with the 4 piece gaskets. These are to short and WILL NOT WORK. ARP bolt kit Part# 134-1801 is for the 1-PIECE oil pan gasket ONLY. And the one that is correct for the felpro gasket OS34510T. I know this because I found out the hard way. I returned the ARP bolts i bought and my parts guy(which is awesome by the way) made me a Stud kit for my oil pan with studs he had in stock (Not ARP's) for $20! Took them home and proceeded to finish the oil pan swap. Took me A LONG time to do it. But all in all it was worth it because it doesnt leak and i have studs holding in my new oil pan. Hopefully you find this info helpful.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
68ihscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I actually just went through this entire thing last week. What a PITA. I wish you luck.

Anyways to your question. If you currently have your original oil pan on your vehicle you more than likely have the THIN front seal. This was the case on my 1972 c10 sbc350.
I was in the middle of an oil change when I went to reinstall the drain plug it turned and turned and turned and turned, you get the point. Well I found out they make an oversized drain plug. When i went to go get one from my parts guy, he had the exact same plug on the counter that I had in my oil pan. Oh great I thought. That left me with 2 options: A "Timesert repair kit"(Amazon order), or a new pan. I needed to get back on the road asap so I dug deep in my wallet and had him order me a replacement oil pan, Fel-Pro one piece gasket, and he had an ARP boltset on the shelf for the pan. Total came out to $120. And I had it in my hands in 2 hours.

So, the story on the gaskets. Any factory installed oil pan After about 1975 was of the THICK front seal type. Pre -75 for the most Part was THIN front seal. Almost all REPLACEMENT oil plans are THICK front seal. The replacement pan I received was a THICK front seal, the 1-piece felpro gasket I received was OS-034510-T. It is the THICK front seal type gasket And it is the correct gasket for my replacement oil pan. This mainly applies to stock configurations.(oe pan and oe timing cover.) Almost all aftermarket pans and timing covers are the THICK front seal type. All aluminum pans and/or timing covers are THICK front seal.
My setup being stock-ish was the thin front seal type but the new pan changed that regardless of my timing cover being stock and also original.

The OS34510T gasket is thicker than the 4 piece type gaskets and has a provision for either a left hand or right hand dipstick( the opposite side just sticks out past the edge of the pan slightly.) The bolts need to have at least 5/8" of thread length under the bolt head to work with the 1piece gaskets. Stock bolts WILL NOT WORK. Also the ARP bolt set for sbc350 oil pans Part# 234-1801 are for STOCK oil pans with the 4 piece gaskets. These are to short and WILL NOT WORK. ARP bolt kit Part# 134-1801 is for the 1-PIECE oil pan gasket ONLY. And the one that is correct for the felpro gasket OS34510T. I know this because I found out the hard way. I returned the ARP bolts i bought and my parts guy(which is awesome by the way) made me a Stud kit for my oil pan with studs he had in stock (Not ARP's) for $20! Took them home and proceeded to finish the oil pan swap. Took me A LONG time to do it. But all in all it was worth it because it doesnt leak and i have studs holding in my new oil pan. Hopefully you find this info helpful.
good info ,thanks ,the gasket did come with all new bolts ,ill have to compare them to the ones i took off.
Posted via Mobile Device