The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Tdrcreyn4

Plug and wire question

I see a bunch of adds for high performance plugs and wire sets. One that comes to mind with plugs are the ones with 3 contacts at the electrode. Is there really any performance gain with these parts or for that matter a hotter coil over a stock GM HEI? Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.
1970 K20 350/350/205 - sold
1969 K20 396/400/205 - work in process
Tdrcreyn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Plug and wire question

I haven't used any of the high voltage coils but the high performance spark plugs I've used. I didn't notice any noticeable gain in power or fuel consumption but it may be that the gain on this products is small and takes time.

Overall, from my experience, don't expect to notice a significant and immediate change.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

go to utube and search....there's lots of dyno tests on this...they do seem to show small gains
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
truckster

Physics is pretty simple, really. An electrical spark will jump to the nearest ground, meaning that only one of those electrodes is actually doing any work. Two electrodes, three electrodes, or thirty electrodes, the physics doesn't change.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Physics is pretty simple, really. An electrical spark will jump to the nearest ground, meaning that only one of those electrodes is actually doing any work. Two electrodes, three electrodes, or thirty electrodes, the physics doesn't change.
DITTO

Something from the 1976 SAdesigns book how to hotrod your small block chevy...
Quote:
From HP Books "how to hotrod small block Chevys" 1976 edition

In desperation, others have installed "guaranteed, life time, more horsepower, mileage and engine life" trick plugs. Don't bother. No one winning any races uses them - so why should you? Most of these plugs, easily identiied by the full page adds used to advertise them, appeal to the "something-for-nothing" owner who thinks that screwing in new plugs will give instant and enormous improvements in HP and mileage. We all know that this is impossible and so do you. But, Barnum was right, there IS a SUCKER born every minute.
This was written before the Splitfire fiasco so it does prove PT Barnum was 100% right, and still is. Someone will always be selling snake oil plugs that offer more performance, power and engine life. What crok!

As compression and cylinder ressure goes UP, resistance of the spark jumping the gap becomes greater. So you need a coil with higher 'punch' to force the spark across the plug gap in the extreme high pressure. A stock coil is more than enough to drive the spark across the gap in stock (street) applications.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote