The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Resto-Rand

Californy-i-a registration

I have a question about my 1971 C10 registration and could use some help from any body that has some CA DMV experience.

I went to look up the fees due on my truck and 'no record'. Does that mean I've been fiddling with this thing for a lot longer than I thought? Did I drop out of the system? (That would be fabuloso!).

Do I dare take my pink down to AAA and try to register it?

I told my wife I'm going to use it as my 'handyman rig' when I retire next year.

Thanks in advance if you have some experience along these lines.

Rand
Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Californy-i-a registration

You are clear

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
68bowtie

You can get an estimate to register it on the dmv website too.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #4
tdangle

Just go to AAA and I'm sure they will take care of everything. Only thing is if you let the reg expire and didn't file a non-op you may have to pay all the back fees to bring current.

At least at your local AAA office you will probably deal with someone who cares and not spend all day to talk to someone

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Resto-Rand

Haven't figured out the site yet for an estimate.

Still not sure how to go about re-registering. Just walk in and drop the pink?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resto-Rand View Post
I have a question about my 1971 C10 registration and could use some help from any body that has some CA DMV experience.

I went to look up the fees due on my truck and 'no record'. Does that mean I've been fiddling with this thing for a lot longer than I thought? Did I drop out of the system? (That would be fabuloso!).

Do I dare take my pink down to AAA and try to register it?

I told my wife I'm going to use it as my 'handyman rig' when I retire next year.

Thanks in advance if you have some experience along these lines.

Rand
If you hold title, and filed a non-op, you might save some money. What did you do when you got the truck? If you didn't do it "right", it may cost you.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #7
Resto-Rand

If there is no record, how would they know if I non op'ed? I bought the truck in 1992. Drove it for a couple years, parked it. Split up with wifey for awhile and she just let it ride.

The DMV site used to say I owed back fees, but now it says there is no record. And I do have the pink.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Well, I'm not a representative of the state of California's DMV. Seems like that ought to be the place to ask these questions, yes?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #9
Resto-Rand

Don't be logical, anybody can do that. Just wondered if someone had been thru this particular scenario.

Just hoping to get some good news. The state rapes me for fees every year on vehicles, boats & trailers.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:05 AM   #10
extd56

If it has no record you will not owe any back fees but will have to weigh it and have the vin verified by DMV or CHP or any PD that will do it for you. DMV needs two spots to verify, CHP has their own rules. It is basically the same as a out of state vehicle.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
moon

I took my truck interior apart 9 years ago & got side lined by divorce, work & life. I thought I had registered it as non-op, but last year when I went on-line there was no record. I went into AAA & they couldn't help me other than to give me the status/history the DMV has; that being they don't have record of my non-op registration and I owe fee's for last 8 years. AAA told me this has to be sorted out at the DMV in person. Haven't done it yet but will be in the near future as I'm pretty close to finally getting her on the road. I'm hoping with my good looks & boyish charm I can talk myself into getting a break since it has not left the driveway...

I'll post up how it went, but it may be another month before I get to it.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
Killer Bee

for those that don't know, these are the calculators you can use to see where your CA registration stands..

renewal fees you owe on vehicles registered to you;
Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

renewal fees + reg fees for a vehicle if you purchased it;
Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

these are handy to have on hand during a purchase.. earlier this year I was about to close the deal when I noticed six year old tags on the plate.. seller said oh, yah, I'll have to knock of $50 bucks or so for the penalties.. guy was nice and sincere so I politely showed him the actual fees on my phone.. something around $750.. I said we need to work that out with the price we negotiated and he said, no, that's my mistake, just cut it from the price we agreed on.. good man and good deal

as I understand it, vehicles that have had their registration information purged from DMV data bases will be treated similar to an out of state transfer but no other additional fees as there is no record to calculate or base a penalty on.. I've not purchased one yet myself, but came close a couple of times and from all of the sources I've talked to, these calculators have access to the same info a DMV office would have, there's no secret paper copy the clerk is going to pull out of a vault somewhere..

out of state transfers require VIN verification performed by peace officer or other recognized agencies such as AAA..
Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form

if you have questions for the CA DMV, the toll free number 1 (800) 777-0133 has worked for me many times, for personal business as well as matters at work.. call the number, leave your callback number to get in line and wait patiently.. I've asked some difficult and complicated questions of those folks in the past and they will either research it on the spot or lead you closer until it's resolved..

be warned, I had an agent at AAA refuse the first vehicle I imported due to lack of two full VIN numbers and told me that I had to go to CHP for a 'special' form.. so I asked my CHP friend to set me up and turns out there is no 'special' form.. when I returned to the AAA office with form completed, agent questioned it so I invited her to talk to the CHP officer directly.. they said no and they would go ahead and submit my paperwork even though they were sure it would be rejected.. so naturally the officer was correct and my title, reg, and plates all arrived without delay..

second one I imported from out of state, just went straight to CHP, again same positive results even submitted to same AAA office..

for pickups imported to CA, you will also need a weight slip.. CAT scales charge about $10 and it takes about 5 minutes..

it's really not that complicated as long as the folks you're dealing with understand the proper procedures themselves..

good luck!
Old 09-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
extd56

The on line calculators are not accurate, I have checked on cars that I knew were on non op and it comes back with back fees. I was told they have three different systems that do not work well with each other. There is a way to have all back fees waived if you know how and it is at least 25 years old and you are a car collector. I have done it many times, just a lot of employees don't know or wont do it.

My son in law got all his back fees waived on a 1993 Suburban
Old 09-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
Resto-Rand

Hey ext56, is there anything you can share of the method?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #15
extd56

will send you a pm
Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #16
moon

^^^ extd56 Would you send me a pm on this also? I'm looking at $723.00 payout because of an oversight... the truck hasn't been moved in 9 years.

Thanks